Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Rain and Wet by Fridge Slide

We received about 3 inches of non-stop rain last night..this morning found the corner of the carpet by the fridge wet...thought I had fixed the problem as we found it wet earlier this spring.(recalked the fridge vent) So now I am stumped to what the problem is...anyone have any ideas?

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We had wet carpet in the bedroom and found that the slide was not centered. One seal was out about 80 degrees the other was almost parallel with the side of the Montana.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Don check that and everything seems ok..still looking and have not found anything.

Bob
Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
What model unit do you have,is the fridge in a slide? Mine did the same, 3400 RL, and I found and performed a fix, I suspect that yours is the same thing. The rian is coming thru the outside refer vent. If your is like mine the flange of the vent on the inside slants inward, the blowing rain pushes water thru the refer vent and it runs into the trailer instead of bleeding out. I took the bottom screws out of the vent and inserted a 3/4 x 3/4 angle under the inside edge of the vent and then caulked it up. Hasn't leaked a drop since, that was 2 tears ago. I think that waynem posted pictures of his similiar fix, you might try a search. If you can't find it and don't really understand what I am saying here let me know and I will e-mail you pictures of the fix. Good Luck. I will also try to find the link.

Found the link, it is: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=30260

Wayne posted pictures and an explanation.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Did notice that the top rubber seal that runs across the top of the slideout is not touching, there is a good 8 inch gap in spots...seal is in good shape but just doesnt touch and reach the roof of slideout..my other slideouts have the rubber seal and they are all touching. So I think that when it rains and blows under the slide out topper that is my problem.
I have already did the fix on the fridge vent

Bob
Old 08-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, that makes sense. I almost posted yesterday to check slide seals to make sure one is not turned under but then I looked at your floorplan and decided my post would be irrelevant. So I didn't post. I didn't think about the top seal. That does sound like the likely culprit. Can you tell whether it was installed that way or has it just not stayed where it was originally mounted?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Steve, It looks like it was installed this way. It looks like the slideout needs shimmed up ...anyone have this done? Or is there a wider seal?
My other 2 slides are not this way.
Thanks Steve.
Bob
Old 08-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don't you have two sets of seals? The one that you see on the outside is the "wiper" seal. Its purpose is to squeegee the water off when you retract the slide. The actual slide seal can only be seen from the inside (or by pulling the wiper seal out). An almost sure fire way to tell is to get inside with a flashlight at night, and have someone outside checking to see if they see any light coming through when you run the beam around the slide on the inside. If it is dark inside and sunny outside, you MAY see some light coming through.

Just a thought.

Edited: When the slide is in, run your hand arund the edge and you will feel a rubber bumper seal.(typically)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:59 AM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Don't you have two sets of seals? The one that you see on the outside is the "wiper" seal. Its purpose is to squeegee the water off when you retract the slide. The actual slide seal can only be seen from the inside (or by pulling the wiper seal out). An almost sure fire way to tell is to get inside with a flashlight at night, and have someone outside checking to see if they see any light coming through when you run the beam around the slide on the inside. If it is dark inside and sunny outside, you MAY see some light coming through.

Just a thought.

Edited: When the slide is in, run your hand arund the edge and you will feel a rubber bumper seal.(typically)
I can run my hand around the edge of my other two slide and feel the rubber bumper, but not on this slide where I think the water might be coming in. When I run the slide out and in, the slide will come in and it drops to a lower position and this is where it is not lining up with the rubber seal. I am thinking that the slide needs adjusted? I am going to the local dealer Monday and see what they say. Thanks Waynem
Bob