Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
AirForce75

M.O.C. #8944
Curious Dog Groomer

My wife has been grooming dogs for many years, during our first trips out she noticed quite a few dogs that looked to be in dire need of a 'touch up'. For the fulltimers, do you think it would be worthwhile for her to take some of her basic equipment on the road to provide a grooming spot for pets? Or, do most MOC'rs take care of their own pets? She's the ultimate dog lover, so I told her I would ask! Thanks.

AirForce75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Depends on what she plans on asking and how she'd do it. Unless they are full timer's, I'd guess most people would just wait until they got home for grooming, and might not be too trusting with their dogs to someone they just met in an RV park or campground - unless she lets people watch the whole process while it's being done, a much better chance that way.

My monty has an outdoor shower thingy, so if I were able bodied I'd probably just hose down my pups real fast. I am not one for desiring them to be "groomed properly" if they are a breed that needs such (as it is neither of mine are, terrier and lab). But as it is, I can't groom them myself, and if there were someone in the park willing to do it for me but without charging an arm and a leg like all other places do, I'd definitely hire her. Some of us are on disability and such and don't have the money for grooming as a luxury, more like a necessity. For example, right now my lab is stinking up the carpet in my monty, and her skin is bothering her, but there is nothing I can do about it. I can't afford the 30 dollars petsmart wants just to bathe her. Grr. But your wife might fare well as it seems most of the RV community is well off financially and can afford that kind of thing.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You would have nothing to loose by having the equipment with you. You would either get to use it, or not. Not using it would be no less off than you are now.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As a fulltimer, I would think there would be a certain segment of pet owners that would welcome a professional groomer in the park. I have seen many smaller breed dogs in dire need of grooming. I guess I would be concerned what the park owner or management might say about an entrepreneur in their park. Pictures of past work might help belay some fears of unprofessionalism. I have had a Golden and am getting a Lab so I would not be interested but many others should.

If you do decide to do this I wish you the best of luck. I will also say a good groomer is hard to come by as I am not sure there are any certification standards for groomers, I might be wrong about this and if so, my bad.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:33 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
My DW has learned over the years to groom our dogs and does a very good job. Because we live in a rural area with very hectic lifestyles we found it increasingly difficult to keep them groomed in a timely fashion. I would think your services would be greatly appreciated for those longtimers, fulltimers, or even the snowbirds. Oh for the convenience of having you in our rv park!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Gosh an area that I am an expert

I have been an all breed groomer for the past 27 years. Specializing in hand scissoring in large breed dogs (Old English Sheepdogs, Labradoodles, Standard Poodles, etc.) If it has hair on it I can groom it, even the ones that want to pretend I am something that they want to lock their canines on.

While we have been traveling I have seen some really horrible grooming jobs IHMO. Not sure if it was done by the owner, or a pet shop. My concerns would be how she would bathe them and dry them. If you were bathing and drying in the Monty, that would be a lot of moisture in the rig. If you were grooming them dirty you wouldn't get as good of a finished product. She would also be tearing up her equipment with the dirty coats.

We stayed in an RV park in San Benito that had a hair salon during the winter months. If I was staying down there, I would try to talk to the owners of the parkk to see if I could work something out with the salon.

As for certification requirements. In the state of Texas you do not have to have a license like a human stylist. There are classes that you can take and get certified as a master groomer etc.

I self taught myself and am not certified, but will match my work with anyones. I have to run right now, but you can go to Driftwoodkennels.com and view my work.... When I get back I will try to put the URL in the way Wayne taught me.

Colleen

PS We sold the kennel about a year and a half ago.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #7
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Driftwoodgal

My concerns would be how she would bathe them and dry them. If you were bathing and drying in the Monty, that would be a lot of moisture in the rig. If you were grooming them dirty you wouldn't get as good of a finished product. She would also be tearing up her equipment with the dirty coats.
I have one of these. The weather would have to be nice, but: http://www.boosterbath.com/

Great for those of us with the outdoor shower on our monty's.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:06 AM   #8
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I agree with Driftwoodgal in the problems of working on site. My next question comes from also being in the industry and how are you going to handle the medical complications, seizures, etc. We've had these all to often and are very thankful to be in our facilities with our vets. If there is a medical procedure needed it can be taken care of as well as anything else. Good Luck with your thoughts an plans, be careful and make sure your insurance is paid up. Oh, forgot to ask about your Rabies vaccination is it up to date? We had to euthanize an elderly cat 2 weeks ago. Great client and it was time. Our RVT (registered vet tech) was holding for the vet. This comotose cat nailed him. He didn't think it could move thus his holding was not his normal quality. Bottomline to update his Rabies immunity he needed 2 booster shots from the Emergency Hospital so far the bills are over 2500.00. I have no problem paying for the workers compenstion but most self employeed don't pay it. So again pay yor insurance.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 AM   #9
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Back to the main question, if the park would allow it some of us snowbirds would love to have a grommer around. This will be our first winter out and one of the first things we will have to do is find a good grommer for our Pom-Poo. She NEEDS a haircut once a month or she becomes a real furball. A grommer in the park would be able to point to a neighboors dog and say"I did that." Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Bob,

Would you expect the groomer to bathe your dog, or would you do it before grooming? Where do you bathe your dog in your Montana? Do you take it to the groomer each time it needs a bath?

AirForce,

I would think it would be great if an expierenced groomer was in the park. Another thought would be how would you dry the pet if you were doing the grooming in your rig. Dryers draw lots of amps, maybe one of the electric gurus could tell you if it would be possible to run a grooming dryer in the Montana. I say go for it, you won't know unless you try.

Colleen
Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
As a winter long timer, I would love to have a good groomer in the park for my shih tzu. Right now the best I have found for bathing and grooming is Petsmart. They also have vetenarian on premises as mentioned above. I try to get her groomed every four weeks or so and sometimes have to bath her between groomings. I would say go for it with permission of the park manager. Post a business card in the activity center and the laundramat to get the word out. If I were walking my dog and someone who was an experienced groomer came along and suggested the dog needed grooming I would certainly look into using their services. I do agree photos of past clients would be a big help. My opinion is GO FOR IT!!!
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
I have two small dogs that need regular grooms. Sometimes we go a little longer in-between groom as sometimes the groomer is busy many weeks ahead, and sometimes I like to wait as it does cost $'s for both....but I never let them get awful looking.

We are not full timers....but have been away from home and had wished I could of got the groom time before we left...

I would consider to let an experienced person in a campground groom, but as stated before...not at the cost of an arm and leg...and it would also depend on the set up. Pictures available would get me interested as I would be able to SEE their experience.
Back to the cost....I would expect to pay lower then at home....At home I have a mobil groomer. Boy do I love this! And having two dogs I actually pay $10.00 cheaper then if I take them to the big box pet store that provides grooming. But I do make up the differnce in tip...gotta keep a good thing going....she does a beautiful job with my girls.

If you get serious about this, you might want to consider offer some choices...like just bathing and nail clipping....ear plucking, touch ups/trims.

Best of luck to you and let us know if this works out for you or not.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Quote:
quote:
I would consider to let an experienced person in a campground groom, but as stated before...not at the cost of an arm and leg...and it would also depend on the set up. Pictures available would get me interested as I would be able to SEE their experience.
Back to the cost....I would expect to pay lower then at home....At home I have a mobil groomer. Boy do I love this! And having two dogs I actually pay $10.00 cheaper then if I take them to the big box pet store that provides grooming. But I do make up the differnce in tip...gotta keep a good thing going....she does a beautiful job with my girls.
Quote:
quote:
Kevin and Denise,

Just curious, why would you expect to pay a lower grooming charge if done in the park than what you pay at home? If the job is just as good as your normal groomer or maybe any better why the difference?

Colleen
Old 11-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #14
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Colleen-

I guess my thoughts are jumping ahead....I am thinking about grooming in an RV. Can a trailer handle grooming inside with a wash in the sink or tub with the hair....I was having a vision of bathing being done outside. But I do not know how this would be done. I am just assuming that the bath would not be the same....and that I would expect to pay lower....but it all depends on the set up. If the groom, If I like the set up and the person I agree with then yes I would consider to pay the same as I do now.

Again my apologies....just a lot of guessing here....Sorry my dogs are spoiled....probably like all other Moc'ers dogs.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:49 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Coleen, another thing to consider is "What would the cg say about extra elec usage, as in running a dryer or blower? Even bathing outside and using extra water, as some won't even let you wash your rig or tv...Just something to think about.....I still think it is a great idea and somewhat worthwhile to pursue...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:41 AM   #16
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
My first post brought up the concerns of bathing the pet or not bathing. To get a great cut on a pet you need to have it bathed and blown dried. At my kennel I blow dried every pet outside of a crate. That is something that most grooming places don't do. Most crate dry your pet in a cage. My thoughts on that are that you can possibly kill a pet from the heat......I am getting off topic.

I wouldn't want the hair or dirt in my grey tank. If I was grooming on the road I would have the owners bathe the pet and bring it to me clean.

I did post about the blow dryer and the electric thing. The larger dryers pull tons of amps. I am not sure the electrical wiring in a Montana could handle it if you had a commercial dryer. As to the extra electricity issue with the CG, can't answer that question. If they were charging you per KW I guess that wouldn't care. If you electricity was in your monthly fee, they might frown on your usage.

PartyCrashers

No need for an apology, I was just wondering why you would pay lower. The OP wants information from the board. I was just wondering what you were thinking. I too brought up the bath question, as it is important to the cut. Saying that if it is just a shave the bath isn't important. If it is a scissor cut then it is.

Happy Thanksgiving

Colleen
Old 11-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #17
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
I agree about not drying in a crate....my mobile groomer does not even have a crate in her trailer. At home when I bathe I just use a Longs bought hand held hair dryer.

Now if I was expected to wash and dry the pet, which I wouldn't mind, thats when I would expect to pay a lower price.

As far as clipping, I know my groomer use's clippers then scissors in certain areas....I do not care as they are beautiful when she is done....to me to scissior or not is a groomers preference.

Just to give you some insight about my mobile groomer....which I understand is much different then a Montana set up in a campground....

The mobile groomer has a 17ft. selfcontained trailer....she has a genterator, gray/fresh water tank,grooming table and all the comforts neededs for the dogs and her, which includes air conditioner, radio, and dog treats....Monty her dog also come along with her ( she only brings Monty if the dog she is grooming doesn't mind) Linda, my groomer shows up at my door, takes both dogs to her trailer....and returns them in just under two hours. The dogs are happy! Sometimes if scheduling is hard...I will leave a key under the mat...payment in the house ( she knows the location) then I will go to work and come home to two beautiful poodles. Now who is spoiled LOL! I feel very lucky to have found Linda.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:48 AM   #18
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I cannot provide much about dog grooming. I understand the business aspect. Anytime you charge a fee it is a business transaction. As in any business you need a business plan and structure. I would recommend useing all the questions about bathing and clipping to how you are going to adress all the aspects of grooming. There are the logistics, where will you resupply (online perhaps) there is the water and electricty, and waste water. The CG owners rightfully will want to be compensated. I highly recomend keeping records for taxes. Understanding cash transactions is untraceable but what you buy is. A portfolio is useful to show off your work. And before you put up a flyer, you could come into local permit issues. I certainly am not trying to discourage you from starting the business, quite the contrary. But it needs to be done in a way that covers you legally and yet not too complicated. There may be places to refrain completely due to local laws. There is an absolute fact that not everyone can be satisfied, and some people that are unsatisfied will pick up the phone and call anyone than cause problems ie: licenses and taxes. I do not know the rules for "Hobby" businessess but this is likely an option for you. I know that many many businesses go out as soon as they get started, and often end up paying taxes and penalties years after they quit. PM me if you want some more info. I hope you work out the details and become sucessful at your venture.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote