Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Connecting DVD player to TV

When I play a dvd the picture on the TV only has blue color. The dealer thought the player was bad and sent me another to change it out. (I bought out of state) Changed it out and same problem remains. I suspect one of the cables is pluged in wrong somewhere but I can't find it. Looks like 2 different sets of cables of 3 connectors each. Also could not get the radio to work until I removed a tv cable comming from a splitter that pluged into the player in the antenna port. Took it out and screwed the fm antenna in and now the radio works.

Does anyone have any idea's how this player should be hooked up correctly? It is a progressive 6000. THanks for any help.

jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sounds like you are using the RGB output plugs or Component plugs, and it sounds like you may have one crossed. The cables should be color coded. If not color coded there will possibly be a "ribbed" identifier on two of the cables that will be different and one will be smooth. It might be wiser to buy a set of good quality component plugs and be done with it.

Which ever is easier to get to, try switching the plugs. Example, they may be labled R G B, or something similar. Swap R & G. If nothing swap them back, then swap G & B, if nothing, swap them back. Then swap R & B. One of the combination's, if that is the problem should clear up the blue. I don't remember my primary color combination, but if you do you may be able to figure it out and just swap the cables necessary.

If the DVD has HDMI output and the tv HDMI input, I'd swap over to HDMI. Much better picture. The highest resolution will be HDMI, then I think S-Video, then Component Video, then RGB.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Have you changed the "input" on the TV? You may be on input 1 for regular TV, but need to be on input 2 for DVD. Just a thought.

Typically, a TV will show a blue screen if no signal is present on the input you are viewing. You can go into setup on most TV's and disable this "feature".
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Yep. It is a connection problem. I had the same blue problem with mine (when you say blue color I assume you mean you can see the picture but it is mainly blue). I just wish I could remember what I had to do to correct it. It has been a few months. CRS you know.
First I gave up and bought an S-Video cable. A single special connector on each end makes it mistake proof. But later I went back and messed with the component cable just because it annoyed me that I could not get it to work the first time. And I finally figured it out. It became obvious the instructions were not obvious!
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:04 AM   #5
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Bill that is exactly what my screen is doing. You can see the picture but it is in blue color only. I guess I'll go to radio shack and get some different cables. I have tried looking at the connection diagram in the book but it is of little help. Did you leave the antenna cable pluged into the fm antenna jack?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have only tried listening to the FM radio once and did not have much luck in reception. Have not messed with the connections on it yet.
On mine, the S-video cable made the fix easy. Can only be plugged in one way. Just make sure you have the S-video connections on both the DVD player and the TV available.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Thanks for everyone's help. It works now!!. Bought a s video cable today, pluged it in and everything works great. A real headache has been lifted.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I'm glad that you got it working, however...

Resolution is a characteristic that originates with the sending device. Presently, 1080P is the higest resolution for consumer equipment. To see the full resolution on your screen, all of the steps in the chain, including the screen, must maintain it. The connections are part of the chain. In order, from lowest to highest resolution, they are CATV (i.e., channel 3 or 4), video (i.e., the yellow jack and plug), S-Video, RGB (i.e., the computer video connector, which can be very high resolution, but might not be), component, HDMI. Stick with component, which caused you problems, or HDMI, as Waynem points out, for full resolution of DVD output, HDTV and Blu-ray. HDMI carries the sound along with it for simplest wiring. Component wiring carries the red, blue and green components of the picture separately, so some confusion can occur, especially if the labeling of the sending and receiveng equipment is obscure (but that never happens, of course)...

Our Monty's entertainment wiring was pretty good. I improved it by wiring the LCD TV's stereo (i.e., red and white) outputs to the DVD player's Aux stereo inputs. If I select Aux on the DVD player, the TV sound plays through all of the speakers (A, B or both, which sounds way better than the LCD's speakers.

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

Our Monty's entertainment wiring was pretty good. I improved it by wiring the LCD TV's stereo (i.e., red and white) outputs to the DVD player's Aux stereo inputs. If I select Aux on the DVD player, the TV sound plays through all of the speakers (A, B or both, which sounds way better than the LCD's speakers.
I agree. I did the same on ours and it give a much better sound than that directly from the TV.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I did the same for playing through all speakers, but I also bought a Sony Blu-Ray DVD player. It plays all old DVD and the quality through HDMI is amazing. Not cheap, including the HDMI cable at 35+ dollars, but worth it for me.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
If I get an S cable and connect it to both units does that mean I eliminate all the other wires?..DW loves her movies so I will have to make sure that the dvd player works......I would also like to have the cabin speakers work with the TV/DVD player...so in the end all I would have would be the red and white wires and the S cable connections??
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:09 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don,
The S-Video is video only - no audio. Newer DVD's with HDMI provide video and audio.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #13
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
OK thanks.......I took it all apart and there is no "S" video connection on the DVD player...... I used a heavier 3 wire RCA connection and have the tv/dvd on room speakers now....I have another RCA 3 wire connection cord red/white/yellow one end and only white/yellow on the other end...cant see where that would help anything...it came from my other set up where we had a vcr player in the combo.....
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #14
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
The purpose of the second connection is to send TV sound back to the DVD/receiver/amplifier so it can be heard on the stereo/surround speakers. To play the DVD, you don't need to send sound from the DVD/receiver/amplifier to the TV, since it's already going to the stereo speakers. You just need the video which is handled, in your case, via the yellow wire (if I understand the 3-wire RCA setup correctly). So, you can use the red and white wires of the 3-wire cable to go from the audio out of the TV to the Aux In of the receiver. You shouldn't need the new cable at all.

Having said that, I suggest that you try a set of Component wires (red, green, blue) from the DVD/receiver/amplifier to the back of the LCD. The picture should be much better.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If you have red/white/yellow, it is correct that typically the yellow is video input and only video input. To have audio, either through the tv or through the amplifier you would have to connect the red white to either the audio input of the tv, or directly to an amplifier to get sound.

Without seeing the input/output connectors, its more difficult to give a good final answer.

Providing the model numbers of all the components would allow us to look on the web for the input connectors.