Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
andrew selkregg
Established Member

M.O.C. #17136
Dish pay as you go account

I travel about 120 days per year and use my Dish about 3 or 4 times per year at various locations for about 2 weeks at a time. I don't have Dish at home so I have to activate it each month I want to use it, and give them a new service address each location so I can receive the local channels where I'm at.
This seems to drive them crazy, and me as well. They want to keep billing me whether I'm using it or not.
They talk a great program with their "pay as you go", but it's a nightmare to use.
Does anyone have a method they successfully use to start and stop the service?

Andy

2007 Ram Megacab 6.7 L diesel, 2015 Montana 3610RL
andrew selkregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I have had the Pay as you go for 3 years now and travel Alot the Key thing you have to tell them when you move and want the new local stations is I have a TAILGATER and I am in my Rv right now and I want to change my ANTENNAE Address and just need to give them the Zip code of where you are at SOMETIMES they will ask for the Address as well and all should be good and it takes about 20 min or so and a reset to get it going, when I first got it I would say I am Moving and that Confuses some of the Reps,just remember key words:Tailgater,RV And Antennae address change
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by andrew selkregg

I travel about 120 days per year and use my Dish about 3 or 4 times per year at various locations for about 2 weeks at a time. I don't have Dish at home so I have to activate it each month I want to use it, and give them a new service address each location so I can receive the local channels where I'm at.
This seems to drive them crazy, and me as well. They want to keep billing me whether I'm using it or not.
They talk a great program with their "pay as you go", but it's a nightmare to use.
Does anyone have a method they successfully use to start and stop the service?

Andy
Old 09-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We also have the Dish pay as you go plan. Last year and this year we only used it two months each separated by two months each time. Have had no problem starting and stopping it. When I call and tell them I have not used it in x months and need it reactivated, they have been very prompt in doing so. Maybe I just got better reps. Chat line works very well also, maybe better than phone.

Do not use auto pay or they will automatically charge your card each month whether you want or not. Not using auto pay I simply do not pay when I do not plan to use it, per their own description on the plan. They send a bill saying I am past due. But after asking a rep why, she said that is just how their system works and ignore it until I am ready to restart it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Good point Bill thanx for reminding me NO AUTO PAY for sure and like Bill said if you do not pay that month it just stops then call up and pay and it starts again
Old 09-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We are not on the Pay as You Go plan, as we full time, but also go into your account online after making a location change and check your billing address. More often than not, even after telling them on the phone or when using the chat, that the billing address is not being changed, they will change it to your new location. It's easy to correct online in your account, just a nuisance.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I have spoken with several reps that don't understand the pay as you go program. They insist that I will be charged $5.00 per month to suspend the program rather than cancelling it as I have requested. Very difficult to talk to the reps until you get to the US based supervisor and then all seems to go rather smoothly.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you are actually on the pay as you go plan you do not have to call to stop the service unless you are also on the auto pay plan (where they automatically charge your credit card each month). If you are not on auto pay you simply do not pay the next month. That is per Dish web site info. Then when you want to restart it you just call or chat and tell them.

I get an email toward the end of my month reminding me I need to pay to continue service. If I plan to use it the next month, I call. Otherwise I ignore the email. If I don't pay, they stop the service and send bills in the mail saying I am past due and may be charged a late fee. I ignore that also. When I am ready to restart the service, I call or chat and they start it right up with no extra charge of late fee.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get that taken care of. Thanks for the information, imagine that it might just be me not knowing how to make the system work!!
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:59 AM   #9
andrew selkregg
Established Member

M.O.C. #17136
BB - TX
That's what I was told also about ignoring the bill when you want it to stop. Last year I did that, and then started the service again 1 month later. Everything was fine for a few days, and then I started getting messages on the screen that my service was going to stop because of non payment. I ignored the messages because they had just charged my credit card but sure enough, my service was cut off. It turns out that they had applied my payment to the "outstanding balance" from the bill I had ignored. Many phone calls and 1 letter later, it got straightened out, but I got very frustrated in the process. This year I'm calling when I want the service to end as well as to start. It should be so simple to do this on-line.

2007 Ram Megacab 6.7 L diesel, 2015 Montana 3610RL
andrew selkregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #10
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have the pay as you go also. I never call customer service. I call tech support and make all my changers with them. Never a problem as these people know what they are doing and understand the RV service. Had a senior manager tell me this is the best way to work with Dish.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep true story Option #4,yep I have called a few times but the funny thing is if you have some other problem they tell ya things you already know and have tried MANY times like unplug for 10 seconds Blah Blah Blah and I tell them you know there is a reset button on the the front of the Receiver??? and after 3 years with the Tailgater I think I know more than they do how to fix a problem so I only use Tech for changing my antennae address anymore like Wayne said
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waynemoore

I have the pay as you go also. I never call customer service. I call tech support and make all my changers with them. Never a problem as these people know what they are doing and understand the RV service. Had a senior manager tell me this is the best way to work with Dish.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
Hogfan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16088
We have Dish pay as you go. After many months of arguing with Dish about pay as go, one supervisor told me just to cancel my service, do not put it on pause as they will charge you a fee each month. I have never had a problem restarting the service as they still have all the info. Sometimes we may use it only for a long weekend and when I call to cancel, I have them credit my account with the remainer. They always have refunded the difference. Usually talking with the rv tech will help if you have a problem.
Hogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:57 AM   #13
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
My experience with Dish over the past several years has been good. To get the local channels I always ask for a tech rep--the sales people only want to sell more programming. I also believe the turnover in the sales force is huge--no one stays long enough to get much experience--tech guys keep Dish running! Works great for me and my wife. We travel about 3-4 months a year and put Dish on pause when at the stick house.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #14
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
I don't know how Hogfan is able to get the balance refunded when they only use a weekend or few days. It specifically says that you pay for a month, even if you only use it for part. I definitely would call to cancel when you are done with it, so you don't get caught up in the "Past Due" mess. I've also had problems with them changing the billing address when I want the service address changed. I'm always very adamant that the billing address not be changed, but it happens anyway. The last time I called to cancel the service, I got a confirmation from them, saying I would be getting a box to return my equipment in. If I failed to return it, I would be charged. That's strange. Since we are required to buy our own equipment. Dish For My RV gives me a headache every time I have to deal with them. If I didn't have so much invested in the equipment (I bought a Hopper, tripod and multi-LAN dish), I wouldn't use them.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I do not get why folks are having a problem with Pay as you go,in 3 years of having a Tailgater it has been 90 percent Smooth changing my ANTENNAE Address when I move and has been said before DO NOT use auto pay and it is SIMPLE if you do not pay every month it STOPS with no late fee if you want it to start it again call the the automated number and they ask you if you want to pay with your Saved Debit/credit card then Pay the Bill and they Start it up again in 15 min EASY PEEZEE