Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Tailgater Satellite (continuing from tech help)

Having issues with my 2015 3160RL. Just curious, who on the MOC uses the Tailgater.

boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Is this the Dish Network Tailgater? My BIL had one and it never seemed to work right even after he worked with Dish, they sent him a new part of some kind (don't remember what) and it was still messing up - didn't seem to be able to hold the signal and kept losing it, then finding something but not all of his channels. He was going to give up on it and go back to the manual Dish Network Satellite after the rig was put back in storage. I don't know his status because he's only a some-timer and he's now doing differing outings and his rig has been in storage until November (his next planned outing).

That said, there are plenty of others who are not having any trouble. For me, I use DirecTV (anyone else noticed that they are now owned by AT&T?) and other than the receiver went out, the receiver was replaced and things work well for us. We use the manual aim satellite cuz it's CHEAP, just like me!.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
I use the King Tailgater and it gives me a headache. I was actually on the phone with them this morning and they told me the issue was with my receiver. I called Dish and they told the the issue was with the Tailgater. I called a retailer and he sells them all. He told me that 95% of the time, it's the antenna and not the receiver. In my limited experience - King customer service isn't the greatest.

So far, today, it's been working. This is the longest it has worked in the past week.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We use the Tailgater with Dish going on three years now and love it. It's been plug and play...if you use it once each month. If it goes for a long timne not plugged in and used then it will need to have the software updated and you have to call Dish Tech. We have Dish at home too so it only cost us $7 a month to have it to use in the RV.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have been using one for 3 yrs. Although occasionally it may take 2-3 scans before it finally settles in, it has never failed to find the sats.

Did you try running the coax directly from the Tailgater to the receiver (I.e. not thru the trailer wiring)?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I too have used the Dish tailgater. I have not had issues with it locating satellites. It is easy to set up and a no brainer. Place the handle north on a semi level surface and it's good to go.

The only issue I have had is that the farther north I have gone, the more sensitive it is picking up HD signals. Dish explained that the small antenna is trying to reach the satellites going through more earths atmosphere the farther north you go. With rain and dew, I would loose my HD signal. Dish software is good enough when it looses HD signal, to switch to SD equivalent That is fine except when you're recording. It changes channels and your recording is lost.

Since I'm an HD snob and want to watch my sports only in HD, I went back to the full size dish and a tripod. Personal preference I guess but the tailgater served me well.

Ken

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have the Tailgater, use it every day, and have never had a problem. I had it in Wyoming at 9300 feet and told it I was in Virginia and it still found 2 satellites. I'm happy with mine.
Lynwood
One more thing. I have a Dish Pointer app for my phone. I shows exactly where you can get through the trees to find the satellites.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Happy with ours after over 3 years of use. I even used it in Langley, BC. I just used the closest US zip code and it worked good. I also use a portable hard drive and OTA antenna. With this setup I can record on either OTA and watch a dish program or visa versa. Happy with Dish from Canada to Southern California.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
See . . . All these posts make me even more sure that something is wrong with mine. Too bad King won't step up.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Bought a Tailgator couldn't get it to work with help from Tech Support. Took it back bought a Wineguard then bought a second one they both work perfectly.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:13 AM   #11
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We have the tailgater and are currently having problems with it locating satellites.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote