Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We actually had a lady merge right into the side of our trailer. Once the truck was past her she thought it was clear to go, didn't see the trailer

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Wouldn't that be merging with your trailer Sorry, wasn't that funny, but couldn't resist, it's been a rough day.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #23
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
We agree whole heartedly. We just returned from our winter in Yuma, and drove approx 1,400 miles back here in Canada. As we approached a city, both my wife and I always went to high alert, checking out for those who haven't figured out the meanings of the terms, yield, stop and merge. Like yourself, we always stay in the extreme right lane and we hold a steady 55 mph, especially in CA where it is the law. At least once a day some yahoo would come on down the on ramp, run parallel to us, and without slowing down or speeding up, these people would continue on until they literally run out of ramp space. Like you I don't want to have to fill in a lot of paper work, so i do the sensible thing and slow down, and sometimes this irritates the vehicles behind us. I truly wish that all of those people would read some of the letters in this forum.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

So after 1200 miles of towing, for the first time in a year, I was reminded of how stupid, ignorant or inconsiderate the "other guy" can be. Because I try to maintain 60-62 mph while towing, I find myself being passed on a regular basis. As a result of that I always stay in the right lane like "slower traffic" should.

When I was in drivers ed they took us on the expressway so we could learn how to properly adjust our speed to merge with traffic. Now I know that it is never 100% and there is always instances where the merging traffic can't adjust to the right speed and so traffic in the right lane needs to help out, but......... There just seems to be more and more who don't have a clue. It's like when I lived in Ohio and one of my employees said the merge/yield sign means the expressway traffic should yield to the merging traffic. HUH????

My friend Wally, who drove a nice class A never let it bother him. He always said that he was bigger than them and it was their problem if they couldn't drive properly. A defensive driver he was not and I hope he has seen the light in that great CG in the sky when he passed away 2 years ago. Unlike Wally I yield to the merging traffic when they don't/can't merge properly. Besides if I lose there's way too much paper work to fill out.

Thanks for letting me rant,
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #24
Farmhawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9080
When I am towing through the larger cities with more than two lanes of traffic one way, I try and stay one lane in from the outside whenever possible. That way I don't have to worry about merging traffic, but you do have to be more alert and constantly checking your mirrors because you have traffic on both sides of you. Plus it gives the other motorists double the opportunity to go around me.
Farmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #25
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Wouldn't that be merging with your trailer Sorry, wasn't that funny, but couldn't resist, it's been a rough day.
Dick,
It gives a whole new meaning to merging
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #26
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
In a driver safety course taught by Louisiana State Police; a huge discussion about merging, yielding and obstructing traffic was the most valuable take-away for me. The trooper teaching the class, made a couple of points that I think we should all remember:

1. drivers who think they know the rules when merging, and insist that everyone else follow their rules, cause accidents. Drivers who really understand what merging traffic from on ramps is all about, also know that the only way to keep it safe is to 'take care' of the stupid ones. In other words, every time you are in a merge situation, the stupid drivers create the real rules at that moment, and you are safer, if you follow those ever-changing 'rules'.

2. A turn signal never means anything except that the turn signal is on.

3. being right doesn't mean %^&t when you end up in the same space and time as another vehicle.

This class was 30 years ago when I invited the State Police to teach a driver safety course in our plant.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #27
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
... and as i think back about some of his stupid driver comments, i realize that this was before the cell phone craze!
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote