Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
WiFi Booster

What do ya think?

https://www.wifiranger.com/simple-rv-wifi

Here are the specifications:

https://www.wifiranger.com/images/da...-1-31-2011.pdf

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
It meets my criteria of getting it higher in the air.
My concern is the extra weight on an already "flimsy" antenna. And you have to run the coax down inside the RV.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
John,
No coax required. That is a different product for stationary situations. This is all wireless, using the power from your antenna. Software is installed on the PC to monitor/use the system. See new link added to my original post for the specs. I do not know about the possible weight issue.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Too bad they didn't post the weight. As for the coax, my impression is this does not require a new coax into the rig, it just uses the existing batwing coax. The weight added would be the device and possibly a small additional coax to go into the batwing since the original one is now into this booster.

It reads like this thing draws its power when the antenna amplifier in the rig is turned on. Since this is intended for use when the rig is still one must only be concerned with the extra weight on the original batwing antenna or extra size when the wind is blowing hard and this thing is now mounted on the batwing.

I'd really like to hear from someone who already has this. $250 is a lot to pay for what this does, not knowing if it really works or not.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
OK, the problem I see with that is the fact that it draws it's power from the Antenna Booster, which means the booster has to be turned on. With it on your Park Cable will have to come into the Rig a different way as the booster on delivers sig via the bat wing or jack (depending on what you have). So if you're ok with at I guess it would be ok.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If it does in fact require the batwing booster be turned on, then it's not usable when one is also using cable tv since the batwing booster kills the cable tv signal. At least it does the way our batwing/cable setup is wired from the factory.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Or, you could go with what we use...PepWave Surf Mini which runs off of 12 volts (meaning we can still use it when boondocking). At a hundred clams, it has been worth it for us...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ya'll have the 3 line input that requires the booster to be off when cable is being used. It should be an easy conversion with switches to provide voltage to the antenna, but have the booster turned off. Or, switch out the present configuration with one of the newer switch boxes that passes cable when the switch is pushed and the booster is on. It would mean disconnecting the present 3 line coax and hooking them up to a switch mechanism.

As for weight, when the antenna is raised all the majority of downward pressure is on the vertical arm, and it should more than hold another half pound. When the wind blows hard enough to rattle my present batwing, I bring it down anyhow.

As a WiFi booster it could be used when the batwing is in the down position.

Now I have to go look at the link.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote