Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Verizon Home Phone Connect

First, I have no connection with Verizon.

My sister just told me about this Verizon home phone connect box that uses cell phone communications but lets you plug a home phone device into it. Basically your home becomes connected to the Cell phone network instead of the land line network. So when we are home it is there and when we go on the road we move the box and one of the home phone walk around phones with us. I should have the system up and running the middle of next week.

I have not tested it but for the low rate and unlimited calling it does seem functional. There is a two year contract.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks John! Keep us informed on how it works and etc. We have Verizon and it would work out great for us!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Any idea, what the "other" charges might be??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
We got the unit yesterday and waiting on AT&T to pull the plug on our land line so we can switch over.
We paid AT&T $33 a month for the land line and Verizon Home Phone connect is only $19.99 a month for unlimited calling and free long distance. Another feature you can unplug from the wall and take it with you and still have your home phone number available. If you have a inverter in your vehicle you can even have your home phone available while mobil. We see this as a big advantage when we go volunteering down in Florida for a couple of months, we can still get calls directed to our home phone number.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Any idea, what the "other" charges might be??
The only charge I know of is taxes. I did not ask about roaming fees. So that might be a question when you use it from the "rolling" home.
We are activated and I like it.
On edit - Verified no roaming charges as long as we are in the continental US.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Do you share your anytime minutes on your Family Plan?
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Not on the 19.99 plan. You share minutes if you go the "add a line" route that is 9.99 per month.
Below if from their web site.
$19.99 monthly access
Get Unlimited In-Home Calling to any number on any network in the U.S., even landlines, for $19.99 monthly access, plus other charges.
$9.99* monthly access
Enjoy Unlimited Mobile to Mobile Calling with other Verizon Wireless customers and Unlimited Nights & Weekend Anytime Minutes when you add a line to your existing Family SharePlan for $9.99 monthly access.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
How is the recepition in bad spots or is just like your cell that if you have no bars or only 1 bar on your cell , is the recepition bad then also,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Sailor, your statement is correct, the home phone connect reception will be the same as your cell. As for our travels, we have never had a verizon cell connection problem, maybe in some isolated areas. So check the verizon cell coverage map. By the way, home phone connect is voice only, no data. Fax machines will not work on the home phone connect neither will security systems.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

-snip- Fax machines will not work on the home phone connect neither will security systems.
Indy roadrunner,
Actually, security systems may work but the older ones have to be upgraded with the same technology as the "wireless - walk around" home phones we are using on the home phone connect box.
My sister, who pointed me to this device, is upgrading their security system.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
H.John, I stand corrected you are right about the security systems. As a side note, I am surprised by the clearity. Sounds just as good on my speaker phone as the land line.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 AM   #12
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
H. John Kohl your a head on this post we just returned from a week trip to DW parents 220 mi. south. we took our new Verison w/us it worked very well. So good by to land line no more min. fee while we were gone 5-6 mo a yr. Also they have a Hot Spot for your computer about $50 a mo with 5 gig a bits of use. We had been paying $50 for 1 gig a bit before while on the road so now We canceled our hi-speed internet w/ Quest $65 a mo. ( had $15 a mo. min.fee on that while on the road). With the new phone we won't have to up our min. on our cell phone $20 a mo. I would really recommend that all MOCers that travel for long periods of time try this out it is just so cool. Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #13
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
My situation is that I must have a land line because we live at the bottom of a hill in a wooded area and cell phone reception is poor to none at all. We have Verizon cell so all I will do is pre-program my land line to forward all calls to our cell.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I talked to Verizon today and you can get the phone land line for $9.99 per month if you use you minites on you cell. so if you have 1400 mint plan and then you have 10 people that are friends and family you talk to those calls are free . so i am going to the 5 g on the computer at $50.00 a month and the phone at $9,99 so it washes out at no cost and now no land line from sprint at $30.00 a month. sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
I have the phone home system and been using it for almost a month. it works great i even take it with us in my truck when we on a trip,i have a place in miss. out in the woods that we dont have cell service but the home phone works....and its $19.99 plus taxes.so my bill runs $32. and i love it better then my house phone and i still have my same number i been having for over 40 years.
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Al and I plan to look into this before going on the road later this month! It sounds like it would work out well for us!!! Thanks John for telling us about this!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote