Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
GFCI outlet gone bad

I had an electric heater plugged into the GFCI outlet by the kitchen counter this morning...next thing I knew I heard a vibrating noise. I just happen to look at that outlet and it was starting to spark...I hurried and disconnect the heater...it blew alot of the lights...when I remove the GFCI outlet it was a bit melted and the wires were also melted. I would of thought that this would of shut down b/f this happened..anyways I went out and purchased a new one...Sure hope that this doesnt go bad...Scary to have happen.

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
A GFCI does not act as a circuit breaker for high current, but for unbalanced current, like when some of the current goes through you to ground and not back through the circuit. It sounds like there was a poor connection in the outlet that caused a lot of heat when you used the heater.

Poor electrical connections are one of the most common problems we seem to have.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
That is probably correct ...I should of replaced this earlier b/c I had noticed the bad connection within the GFCI. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I hope you got a new gfi that clamps the wires in when you turn a screwdriver ,not one that you just push the wires in the back and a spring holds the wire. The latter make for bad connections, thus heat and problems.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Yep, thanks the wires clamp in and that is how the original one was in.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had a bad GFCI in my rig, but it was at the bathroom lavatory. When it tripped it would not reset. I never did find out what tripped it, unless it tripped right after my wife had finishing blowdrying her hair and as she unplugged it. I replaced it and it's worked fine ever since. It did control all the bedroom circuits, too.

I had a house GFCI fail the same way. I guess they can just fail this way (get tripped then not be able to reset). I think I would prefer this problem than all the arcs and sparks.

I'm glad to hear you saw it before it caused more damage (or a bigger disaster).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
At different times, both the bath and kitchen GFCI plugs went bad. I just went out and bought some new ones, better than the OEM ones and haven't had an issue since.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote