Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
brian ayerst
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8155
bedroom reading lights

need some help, I have a 2008 3465 and the reading lamps on each side of the bed stopped working, I changed and checked both bulbs and they are still working. we have power leaving the panel and all ceiling lights work but cannot find wire leading to the bed lamps, there should be a mecanical connection somewhere but cannot find it.

brian ayerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Brian I had the same problem with mine. I changed both of the little push button switches they or very cheap and did not last long. One quit and then the other one. I went to local hdw and got new ones. But I did have power to the switch just sw was bad.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
I had the same problem in the two lights over the couch. It turned out to be a spliced wire inside the wall. The only way we found this is by pulling new wire in to replace the original when we could not find anything else wrong.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same problem here in our 06 3400.. Will check the switches.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
brian ayerst
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8155
thanks every one, found the problem, from the factory they ran the wire to the lights under the slide bare under the bed so with the slide being put in and out it finally pulled the connection apart
brian ayerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I did have one of those lights refuse to operate. I pulled it from the wall and checked for elec, had elect so I went to a hardware store and got a new push button switch and put it in and it works fine now. I think those switches are kind of cheap. I don't like electrical problems.......Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had to pull both ours off the wall this AM. On the left one the " Skilled old world craftsman" had put the attaching screw between two wires and the road vibration had opened one up.It is a rats nest back there. No attempt at all to bundle the wires or tie wrap them back.Just slap it on the wall and screw it in. The switch also was bad in both of them. It is these kind of constant failures due to poor workmanship and no quality control that is wearing us down. A permanent place here in Florida and using this thing for short trips during the summer is looking more and more attractive to us. It just never ends. So this week it was a thermistor failure and two light switches. last month a U bolt failure and 4 tires destroyed..Helen says two blinds need restrung... and we have another black tank leak. But the service center did repair the side wall seperation in the front cap and did re-enforce the cap in the hitch area and replace some graphics. Are we breaking even????
Old 11-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sorry Rich to hear all this.

My daddy always said this traveling stuff was tough, something about the "hard road".

We drag these things down the hard road, and sun of a gun, stuff breaks. SIGHHH

(Rich, snicker, teasing here, tongue in cheek ----)

READ MY SIG LINE!!

Something bout handy stuff $$ and hands.

But, do understand the appeal of a permanent place for the cool months. Yepper we do.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I agree with you too rich. I think when our time comes we will probably do the same thing,something permanent in the warm and use these for "recreation" use only. No matter how they try to sell them they just can't put up with full time use and towing.

On edit: If I need to do constant repairs I might as well just stay home
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't get us wrong.. We love the travel lifestyle and the best part about owning a Montana is the other Montana owners and campers, you meet along the way. However these constant failures and the constant outlay of dollars is starting to wear us down. We were well aware that these Rv's(any rv) were not designed for constant use so there are really no surprises. There are alternatives to realizing our great adventure..We shall see.