Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And y'all gave me a hard time when I posted this picture of a RV owner in Arizona.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #22
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks NCFischers.... I forgot that the brownouts are problematic because the lower voltage causes higher amps and this is why things break.

In 2 days we are getting ready to go out with 10 other rigs for a week. The CG has sparse trees and the temperature is expected to be in low 100's and we only have one AC. ugh.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

And y'all gave me a hard time when I posted this picture of a RV owner in Arizona.

Hmmm. That's a Montana, Wayne. Yours? If so, what does that do for you? Curious minds....

By the way, it looks like a trampoline.

All in jest, I hope you can tell. Except I am curious about the benefits of the shade on just the AC unit. Or does he have a water leak around the AC and this keeps the rain out?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #24
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Oh God Steve: Don't get that thread started again.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
LOL, bigmurf. I guess I missed something? Was that previously discussed?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #26
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Yes, Steve it's been discussed at least twice that I know of, the latest time was recently since I joined the Forum. I think the consensus was it's a good idea but hard to become practical - how does one keep from flying away; how big or high does it have to be; how hard to remove/set up and so on.

It has no affect on drainage and would stop rain anymore than not having it. The purpose was to keep the AC unit cooler as it operates, because apparently, keeping an AC in the shade helps it operate better as was testified by others.

We are off to several days of 99.9999 degree desert temperatures along with about a dozen other buffoons who decided on a family and friends outing in the middle of summer in So. Cal. DEFINTELY not my first choice in location but I am not the wagon master. My AC unit is gonna hate me! I hope it works well. You'll certainly hear about it if it doesn't. Fortunately, if it gets that bad, we have another rig to visit - The wagonmaster reserves the best (and only?) heavily shaded RV spot and THEN sends out the invitations. All other sites, the trees are a good size, but have NO leaves for shade. Did I mention that they have 2 AC units and their rig averages about 72?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #27
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Art--I live in HOT San Antonio and when we ordered our Monty in 2006, the second AC was mandatory. I have never regreted the decision. This is typical South Texas weather with high humidity and heat. One AC will not meet the task. I hope you survive your weekend. Remember it is still hotter in you hometown!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #28
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
But it's a drier heat unlike a humid heat. I almost suffocate when it's humid and hot. Note that I used to live in San Antonio many moons ago and have relegated myself to visiting and picking the cooler climates to do so.

I didn't get the second AC because our prior rig didn't have one and I didn't think about it and thought I could avoid Sahara-like camping. Unfortunately, the Monty is much larger and DW and many other females in the friends and family list actually LOVE the heat, so I get out-voted many times. More beer!
Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #29
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I got through an unshaded site in Slidell LA last summer with one AC in a 36' by (however I don't think we ever got above 99 degrees):

- Used Velcro to hold up cheap Pillows in the two Bedroom Roof Vents.

- Made Foamcore (White to match ceiling) with Dow Blue Styrofoam backing to snugly fit in Living Room Fantastic Fan and Bathroom Fan Vents. Cheap Plastic Drawer handles from Wal-Mart made these easy to remove when needed. A lot of heat comes through those vents when closed unless some insulation is used.

- Closed all shades during daytime. Used Bedroom Pillows against Bedroom windows during daytime and made a foamcore insert for one bedside South window.

Covered West facing Kitchen Sink and Tall/narrow Rear Living windows on the exterior using "Reflectix"(?) Aluminized Bubble wrap fastened on with Duct Tape (left only small window by stove exposed and I closed the blind often, but had a plant there that needed sun). Before doing this, these windows would get so hot you could barely touch them! However by following Spring, Duct Tape and its residue took a lot of effort to cleanly remove. Will use 3M Command hooks next time such steps are necessary. Reflectix survived fine.

Used a small Fan to blow cool air from Bedroom to Living area.

I found that the single AC ducted air always kept the small Bedroom very cool as the AC would run continuously in the afternoon and evenings. For this reason I could not justify second Bedroom AC installation... Living Room Ceiling Fan also helped.

I did not cover the Shower skylight as I wanted to keep it DRY and mildew free. Also dryed our towels every day by hanging over shower enclosure glass which perhaps also reduced solar input into bedroom.

FYI regarding vent covers: my 05 RV which has always been outside warranted replacement of all exterior vent covers this month as part of roof replacement (due to mishap with tree) as they were too cracked to justify re-use. I did put a Max-Air Cover on the Bedroom Vent, but only a year ago... Maybe I should cover the other vents with Max-Air Covers just to protect them, even though they're seldom used.

Hopefully these steps would also help mitigate even higher temps a little, but since the RV insulation is so thin, really hot temps may be a losing battle..
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #30
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I didn't get the second AC because our prior rig didn't have one and I didn't think about it and thought I could avoid Sahara-like camping. Unfortunately, the Monty is much larger and DW and many other females in the friends and family list actually LOVE the heat, so I get out-voted many times. More beer!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Art, Camping World would be happy to rectify this situation for you!!!! We have two and in the humid south and east I wouldn't be without them...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We always in the past escaped when it got hot but this year we have to stay through the summer. So, we got the second AC. What a major difference when the temperatures are over 90. With one AC the best it would do is keep it 12 degrees below the ambient temperature. We are not under trees. With two, we have hit 99 and had our thermostat at 72 and it was 72 in here. Nice. I don't regret the cost one bit. I like comfort.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #32
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
There you go!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote