Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Landing Gear Blues

We've got problems with the landing gear.

When trying to extend with weight, there is a clicking sound and no movement on the leg. While Alice pushes the extend button, I can make them move by turning the hand-crank at the same time. We are not exactly marooned, but do worry about what may happen in the future until this can get fixed. I am not strong enough to turn the crank without the help of the motor.

Clues include the clicking sound, possible gears slipping. The bolts holding the legs inside the propane compartments are secure. The rod connecting the two sides is not impeded. The motor appears to be pretty loose, but an RV technician said it looked normal, I am doubtful. While moving the legs, there appears to be a rubbing sound but it is not all the time, and is not necessarily at the top or the bottom of the travel. The legs do not appear bent. By not keeping up with the crank, I blew the 30a fuse, but was able to use a 25a fuse and get the task completed. I have since found 40a fuses, will try them in hopes they are stronger.

I noticed the pictures posted by H. John Kohl (thanks John), but am not sure that this is my problem. I am dumbfounded by this, and am willing to do whatever it takes to get it fixed, but would appreciate any insight before going to a dealer and handing over my wallet.

On edit: gave credit to Mr. Kohl....thank you John.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When this began to happen on my 2003 Big Sky, it kept getting worse. Under extended warranty, it was replaced, motor and gear box. The replacement was an upgrade to a stronger unit. I guess I am saying that if you end up replacing it, get the stronger unit.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Just dealt with this:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30242&SearchTerms=landing,gear
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Robbie, just a thought, have you removed the cap on top of the legs to look at the gears? There should be no metal fragments in there. Also, I've been blowing 40 amp fuses, and while checking the wiring, I found 2 wires not completely on the poles on the back of the landing gear switch. Good luck, Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Robbie,

I do not understand your comment about not being able to turn with out assistance. The manual process is not hard at all. It turns relatively easily but does take MANY MANY turns.

I've had to use the process only one time, thankfully!

You might take a look at what H.John Kolb did when he had landing gear problems. That might provide some clue as to what is happening with yours.

Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Robbie,

I do not understand your comment about not being able to turn with out assistance. The manual process is not hard at all. It turns relatively easily but does take MANY MANY turns.

I've had to use the process only one time, thankfully!

You might take a look at what H.John Kolb did when he had landing gear problems. That might provide some clue as to what is happening with yours.

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis, that may be the problem, there is some resistance and possibly a bent leg. Discovered that we may be at fault, we left the airbags on the truck filled and may have tried to lift it tooooo high.

H. John, Kohl, thank you for the information and the pictures, going to get after this real soon.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have seen the comment that I had to manually raise the landing gear before. Does anybody have a picture of where this is done. I think I have it figured out but not sure.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mike,

The access to the manual process for raising or lowering the front legs is located in the driver's side propane compartment. You use the special wrench included. You may need a flashlight to locate the access hole.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
My landing gear is starting to make a squeaking noise when using it. Is there a place where it can or should be greased?