Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
Cyride
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22980
380TH/381TH Garage space

A couple of questions about what can fit in the garage:

Will a Honda Goldwing GL1800 fit in the garage with the garage raised and/or lowered? I know the garage is 10 feet long in the lower garage space, how high does the 10 foot space reach? My Goldwing is about 8 feet 8 inches long.

Is there room in the garage with the Goldwing in it for a Kayak or a couple of bicycles (one on each side of the motorcycle)?

Does anyone have a photo you could share of their Montana with the garage loaded?

Thanks,

Jon

Old 01-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
kescue
Established Member

M.O.C. #20145
Hey Jon,

I have a Harley Ultra I put in the garage without any issue. I cannot even put the chock up against the front of the garage because the way it is configured and still have plenty of room. As far as height there should be no problem with that. I could probably lower the bed completely down when loaded but have not done that.

I looked and I don't have a pic of bike loaded. But probably good to do that next time I have it loaded!

There is not much room beside the Harley Ultra for kayaks. I used to haul a Harley Fat Boy Lo and hauled it with a Tri bike without any issue. I plan on investing in roof rack for my F350 for Kayaks or bikes.

PS. Have found that is much easier to load bike if you disconnect rig from truck and raise the front of rig. I put mark on my front jack to know where to stop when raising it. My Fat Boy Lo kickstand would hit if rig when loading if rig still attached to truck. My buddy has Toy Hauler and after he watched me do it he started doing it with his rig and said it was much easier to load and unload. A little extra work sometimes if you have to do it before you park the rig.

Keith and Jana Escue
2018 Montana 381TH
2016 Ford F350 King Ranch
kescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:12 PM   #3
Cyride
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22980
Thanks for the information! I looked into putting a different windshield on the goldwing to try to get the over-all height of the bike to fit in the garage with the bed in the lowered position so we can use the bed on the road. I didn't know if the bike would clear length wise in the garage with the bed down since I assumed the front wheel would have to fit under the lift section in the front. I see Thule makes a rack called the "Goal Post" that would mount into a front receiver hitch mounted on the front of the truck. With the goal post you could put a standard roof rack section on the truck and haul the kayak over the hood of the truck. I was looking for additional front truck racks also.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I know it's not a Gold wing but we carry a Honda 1100 Shadow AND two 10' kayaks with room to spare. I would think you could get the Gold wing and kayaks in there.

However, I do recommend that you consider building some sort of rack or something to keep the kayaks from falling against the motorcycle and scratching it. Perhaps a couple of straps running from the floor to the ceiling would be the ticket? I would also suggest a blanket or padding on the wall opposite of the kayaks so you won't scratch the bike on that side should you lean it too far while ratcheting the straps down. Its not a big issue on our cruiser but could be on your bagger.

I don't know how the height of our Memphis Shades windshield would compare to your bike but we only raise the bed up about 2" if that to clear same. And once we strap down the bike with ratchet straps we can lower the bed back down if we want to all the way till it bottoms out. The bed is a bit tall for short folks even when it is all the way down but it is a compromise we are happy to make for the garage!!

We were actually looking at getting a Can Am 3 wheeler and building something to hold the kayaks up above its fenders but alas the Can Am is literally 1" to wide to fit the garage (as is a standard side by side although a trail width will fit).........

Get a tape measure and make sure on anything though. And even then I would tell the RV dealership you will only buy after you put the bike and kayaks inside the garage just to be sure. I bet they will accommodate you and even help load them then!!

Oh yeah don't ride the bike into the garage. The ramp is a bit short and steep with your weight on the bike you might drag the bottom of the bike on the transition....And if you don't raise the bed enough you can bang your head too.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:07 AM   #5
firemedic227
Established Member

M.O.C. #22229
Doubt you will have enough room for kyaks. Small amount of room in front of bike but not much. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	3014  
2018 Dodge 3500 CC DRW Aisin 4:10
2018 Montana HC 380TH ( 2014 HD in the garage)
firemedic227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:44 AM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic227 View Post
Doubt you will have enough room for kyaks. Small amount of room in front of bike but not much. Good luck.
So how good does one have to be at yoga to cinch down the front tie downs?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:50 AM   #7
kescue
Established Member

M.O.C. #20145
Hey MtLakeJim,

Question. I am curious. You said don’t ride your bike into the garage. How to you get yours in the garage?? Do you use a winch?

I ride my Harley Ultra into the garage, but as you said the ramp is steep so I raise the front of the rig about a foot or so to lower the angle of the garage.

Thanks firemedic227 for the post of the pic!

Keith and Jana Escue
2018 Montana 381TH
2016 Ford F350 King Ranch
kescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
Cyride
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22980
Thanks for the photo, beautiful bike! I thought I could possibly have my bike close to one side and squeeze a 10 foot fishing kayak along side it. We are in the process of ordering the 5th wheel and are thinking about different options. Another thought would be to remove the tail gate of the truck and put it in there. I have an 8 foot box so the kayak would stick out a couple of feet. I have also looked at roof racking it.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
I ride my Ultra Limited while hooked up to my Ram 2500 with no issues. I wouldn't try it with my Heritage though unless the front was raised. Just installed some air bags so maybe I could do it with the Heritage but the first time I would take it real slow. For kayaks, I would either devise a way to hang them from the ceiling on the sides or get a roof rack for the TW.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
firemedic227
Established Member

M.O.C. #22229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
So how good does one have to be at yoga to cinch down the front tie downs?
No Tie downs for me....I use the "Biker Bar" system, click in and get off and shut the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bar.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	3018  
2018 Dodge 3500 CC DRW Aisin 4:10
2018 Montana HC 380TH ( 2014 HD in the garage)
firemedic227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Thanks
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Riding in is ok but backing it out is just a little more exciting. I have a fusion toy hauler with a 10 foot garage. I have plenty of room as it is 102 wide. The beds go all the way to the roof line so tying down isn’t a problem. I haul my quad or my fat boy but not both at the same time. Fusion also a keystone product. When the DW wants to ride we take the toy hauler. But most of the time we take the montana. I’ve been using the TH for hunting trips.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
another option is getting a sea eagle inflatable kayak, we have one & it fits almost anywhere. Only takes a few minutes to inflate but gives us lots of transport options.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #14
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by kescue View Post
Hey MtLakeJim,

Question. I am curious. You said don’t ride your bike into the garage. How to you get yours in the garage?? Do you use a winch?

I ride my Harley Ultra into the garage, but as you said the ramp is steep so I raise the front of the rig about a foot or so to lower the angle of the garage.

Thanks firemedic227 for the post of the pic!
I just walk beside the bike and power it in. Mine has enough ground clearance that is enough to clear the angle at the top IF we are level.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic227 View Post
No Tie downs for me....I use the "Biker Bar" system, click in and get off and shut the door.
Now that is cool!
Old 01-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyride View Post
Thanks for the photo, beautiful bike! I thought I could possibly have my bike close to one side and squeeze a 10 foot fishing kayak along side it. We are in the process of ordering the 5th wheel and are thinking about different options. Another thought would be to remove the tail gate of the truck and put it in there. I have an 8 foot box so the kayak would stick out a couple of feet. I have also looked at roof racking it.
Those are all options we have considered as well and depending on the situation might be the way we would go. The roof rack makes it easier to just unhitch and go to the water.

But looking at the picture of the good looking bagger above I have to think you could come up with a way to strap the kayaks ABOVE it on either side. Just depends on how comfortable you are with the tight fit and kayaks hanging above your bike.......

Another way is to put the kayaks in bags and haul them inside your 5th wheel! That's actually the way we carried them with our old setup (older Keystone and 3/4 ton SHORT bed). Yeah another reason why the long bed is the only way I will ever go again!!

The other option of course is to take a smaller bike when ya go with the kayaks..... not too sure I would want to leave that nice of a bagger down by the take out at the end of a float.......

The upside is there are all sorts of options when you have the garage in the back. And I just love smiling at other floor plan owners as I wheel the bike out for a ride..............
Old 01-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #17
50sboy
Established Member

M.O.C. #13103
Harley UP

I ride my tail-lowered full dresser in and out of the trailer. I do bring my air bags up to 50#...when I back out...just as Im ready to drop the rear tire onto the ramp, I put it in first gear and use the clutch to slow/stop on the way down. MUCH better than sliding the rear tire down the ramp!
Often in poor weather I cruise the camp ground for a dip in the road where the nose is up and tail down and take the bike out there. Same with a drive way...put your rear trailer tires down in the apron....always can find a good place if you're nervous or tired that day! I always remind myself - if you cant ride the bike up into the trailer - you probably shouldn't be riding anymore!
50sboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
another option is getting a sea eagle inflatable kayak, we have one & it fits almost anywhere. Only takes a few minutes to inflate but gives us lots of transport options.

Thanks for the the line on Sea Eagle. I know what lies in the future for us.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #19
Kevkim381th

M.O.C. #21528
Yes the wing will fit. I had my 2015 in there. If you want to contact me send me an email to k3massie@gmail.com. I'll send you my phone number. easier to talk than type it out. was some trial and error but I got it in and was able to put the bed down too.
Kevkim381th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sboy View Post
I ride my tail-lowered full dresser in and out of the trailer. I do bring my air bags up to 50#...when I back out...just as Im ready to drop the rear tire onto the ramp, I put it in first gear and use the clutch to slow/stop on the way down. MUCH better than sliding the rear tire down the ramp!
Often in poor weather I cruise the camp ground for a dip in the road where the nose is up and tail down and take the bike out there. Same with a drive way...put your rear trailer tires down in the apron....always can find a good place if you're nervous or tired that day! I always remind myself - if you cant ride the bike up into the trailer - you probably shouldn't be riding anymore!
I could ride the bike up into the trailer if I went to the trouble to find the right spot but why go to the hassle. It isn't that hard to walk up beside it and then I am already off of it to make the transition and strap it down. My 1100 is a fairly light bike compared to some of the dressers. I don't feel like it is a test of my manhood to ride it up in there.