Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
solar battery charger recommendation

When I first replaced my house battery on my 2007 3400RL several years ago I installed a solar trickle charger I bought at Academy. Worked OK for several years but I suspect it may have overcharged the battery (unlikely it had a built in controller due to what I paid for it). Recently replaced it with two AGM's (12 volt) wired in parallel. Looking at Battery Tender Panel with built in controller-price on Amazon hard to beat. Question: will the 5w work or are the 10w or 15w worth the extra $$$? Rig is stored sometimes for as long as 6-8 months. TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If my unit was stored off my property for that long I would take the batteries out and back to my house and keep them on a trickle charger there until they are needed. At the very least, install a battery cut off switch on the negative cable so there will be no drain on them. If they are fully charged they will hold there charge for some time while disconnected.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #3
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
I leave my batteries in while stored over the winter and I have 6 6V batteries as part of my system with solar (hence my back says no way to lifting them in and out each season). My method is to make sure it is fully charged when I put it in storage with everything off and battery disconnect pulled as well as I have a battery switch in-line. I then stop by about every 4 weeks or so to check their status and once they are down ~ 10% in charge, I hook it up to my portable generator for a hour or two to top them back off using my inverter/charger and I am good to go again (and I get a couple hours of undisturbed time to catch up on reading while its charging). In general, doing it in this manner vs a trickle charger is considered better for the batteries by some overall as it isn't having the constant heat of a charger ongoing.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I hear you, Now I know why you don't want to remove them. Since mine is stored at my home in a pole building and plugged in 24/7 I don't have the issues you face storing it elsewhere. I think if you go there every month or so and run your genny with the camper plugged in for a couple hours the converter should give them a good enough charge until you get back the next time.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:47 AM   #5
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
I put in my solar charger just to save my back. I leave the 2 6V batteries in all the time and the disconnect is always connected and ready to go. I have the Renergy 100W kit with the 4 stage charger to keep the batteries charged safely. I check the water in the batteries once every month or 2, but that's it. I like always having the batteries charged and I can go to the RV for maintenance and operate the slides and jacks with no issues. Then when I leave it can take a day or so to charge the batteries back up. I'm very happy with the system. The new batteries were $100 each and the solar kit was $180. I have no desire to dry camp, thus the 100W system. Dry camping to me is when I'm out of booze.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:48 AM   #6
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
"Dry camping to me is when I'm out of booze. " LOL LOL

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote