Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
VEHICLE INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS?

Christa and I are planning on least getting away from this DREADED KANSAS for two - three weeks in Feb. I know we need our passports, but I also heard that additional insurance may be needed for your vehicle to cross the border and be protected, is there anything to this???

Thanks John H

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Yes, you need special Mexican insurance if you are planning on driving into Mexico. Most of us staying in the RGV only cross for day trips, park on the Texas side and walk over. I'm sure that there will be others who can provide full details on getting insurance to drive in Mexico.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hemlockusa,
I know Kansas is somewhat different than other states but did not realize you needed a passport to leave the state! When we were in Mexico earlier this year we did NOT need a passport to get into Mexico nor back into the good old USA! But I know there is some talk of needing one sometime in the near future. We were in Mexico 3 or 4 different times. As I said.... no problems.

You do need Mexican Insurance. USA insurance is not recognized in Mexico.... and vice versa. Also if you do not own your rigs outright then you must have a notarized letter from the lien holder that you have their permission to take the rigs into Mexico.

If you do a search you will find several different threads on all these issues. Some really good and detailed information.

Good luck and have fun once you thaw out!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I am assuming you are referring to Mexico Ins. also and having just returned from there I can tell you what we did not know before. First thing is yes you do not want to drive in Mexico without their Insurance but when you stop to get the insurance they are out to make money. First they asked the value of our 5th wheel, then the value of the truck and then when we would be back in the states. We thought we would be there about 8 days so they told us it would be $269.00. Our mouths dropped and we finally got out of him that that was for full coverage. Our insurance covers our vehicle and RV so all we needed was liability. That was only $50 something. It sounded so good we bought it only to find out later, we could have bought a 6 mo. policy for that amount and not had an expiration date on it of 8 days later. Also, the liability on the Monty isn't necessary for more than the day you enter and the day you leave. You are parked while you are there. This made a difference to us because we would have stayed a lot longer if our insurance wasn't expiring but it made us so mad for getting "ripped off" we came back as scheduled. By the way, we bought our insurance on the AMERICAN side.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here's where the RV Related Links Page comes in handy.

Go to RV Related Links

Click on "Tourism Sites"

Scroll down to "Mexico"

There are 3 links to Mexico web sites, 2 of which deal with Insurance while visiting Mexico.

Also at this time Passports are NOT required to visit Mexico or Canada. I would suggest having a certified birth certificate and photo identification such as a drivers license.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote