Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
lestx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11197
6 Point Level Up Install

I will be in Boonville, MO on 8/19/13 to drop off our 2009 3400RL 10th Anniversary, to have the 6 point level up system installed. The company is Boonville RV Service (formerly TrailAir Service Center in Goshen, IN…now Lipper Compnents).
May I ask other members that have had level up installed as an aftermarket project (not factory installed) what your positives and negatives were on your installation.
Where did you have the control center mounted? Did you keep your front electric jacks as a back-up in case the level up fails, so you can still disconnect from the T.V.?
If removed did you keep these components? Any advice you have is welcomed.
Thank you for your unput.
Les & Amanda Greene

lestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
I'm going in on the 8th for the same thing. I would like to hear replys also.
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
They replace the existing legs. So no back up. I had one of the first installs as a post OEM, during the rally when Lippert had their rally offer. I have had no problems with the install. I am glad to have it installed. It sure makes setting up and tearing down while traveling much easier. I need the monty pretty level when we stop for the night, so these make that task a breeze.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Same here. We had Level up installed last year with the Rally special. Old landing gear is gone and the control is on the wall of the basement directly behind the pump. They installed mine so that I can still use the controls on the side of the rig to unhitch and we kept and continue to use our rear stabilizers. Can't give you a single negative.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
lestx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11197
Thanks bw2 & Dick,
I quess all have two hyd. pumps to look after. What did all do with your elec. landing jacks ?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
lestx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11197
Dick,
Do you use your extend / retrack switch to raise or lower your new hydraulic front jacks? ( The one that you use to operate the elec. landing jacks) or the Level Up controler to unhitch & hitch up your T.V. I still would need to use my remote for the rear elec. stabilizers jacks,hydraulic slide rooms and scare light.
Thanks,
Les & Amanda
Old 07-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We had the very first install on a Montana at the old TrailAir Service Center in Goshen, no problem with the install, just the new front legs, finally got Lippert to replace them after a lot of hassle.
We love the system the way it works now and have used it over 150 times. We only have one pump, I have know idea what they did with my old elec. legs.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lestx

Dick,
Do you use your extend / retrack switch to raise or lower your new hydraulic front jacks? ( The one that you use to operate the elec. landing jacks) or the Level Up controler to unhitch & hitch up your T.V. I still would need to use my remote for the rear elec. stabilizers jacks,hydraulic slide rooms and scare light.
Thanks,
Les & Amanda
Yes, I use the extend/retract switch to raise the front jacks to unhitch and then use the Level Up controller to level. I use the stabilizer control in the same compartment and use the switches inside for scare lights (don't use them much since we have a motion detector porch light) and the slide rooms. I don't use my remote for anything anymore.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I had them put it in the control box on the side of our trailer, like they do for the new units. This way, I can use the remote or the Level Up box to hook/unhook conveniently, from the outside of the rig. I also like to use my remote for the rear stab jacks which we kept.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
lestx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11197
Lots of great input. Thank you, one final question, who has two hydraulic pumps one for Level Up and one for the slide rooms ?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lestx

Lots of great input. Thank you, one final question, who has two hydraulic pumps one for Level Up and one for the slide rooms ?
I have the factory installed system but I am very sure no one has two pumps. Your existing pump is replaced by one with a larger model reservoir when the Level-up is installed.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I agree, the pump and reservoir are replaced with larger ones. They also replaced my thermistor with a larger one. I have 2006 3400rl, as a reference.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
One heads up though, KEEP your rear stabilizers in place. The new rear jacks are right behind the wheels so you have about 12 ft of rear end hanging out there and the old rear stabilizer jacks can cancel out a lot of wiggle..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
When Lippert installed my Level-Up I wound up with two separate hydraulic systems. So I may be the only one with two pumps and two reservoirs. They also installed the front jacks inside the front storage area instead of where the original electric landing gear were. This results in a lot of lost storage area inside the front compartment. The only advantage to my installation is that with enough DC power I can run out the slides at the same time I am leveling the coach (LOL).

Oh yeah, I still use my rear stabilizers too. Takes out that last bit of wiggle.
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I had mine installed about 15 months ago by Lippert. As mentioned they remove the original front jacks and replace them with the new ones. Your front jacks will no longer work with the FOB but the extend/retract switch will work for the front jacks. The rear stabilizers are still in place and yes they will take the wiggle out. The controller for the Level up is just inside the basement door.

The only problem we have had was when installed one of the lines was not tightened properly to the curb side front jack. It would leak fluid until it was finally fixed.

After having the Level-Up for the past 15 months, I will never have another trailer with out some type of auto leveling device installed. I have not needed are used a single leveling board since Level Up was installed. It makes setup fast and easy. Especially for just a quick overnight stop.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
I have been looking at the Lippert system and got some price quotes while wintering in Florida last winter. The best I found was $4700 installed for the 6 point system. They were to replace the current electric landing with hydraulic and keep the rear stabilizers to use if I wanted.........which would make an 8 point. Is the $4700 price in the ball park to what is out there? If so, I plan to have it done this winter when I return to Florida. The installation was going to be done at a Camping World.
Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #17
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I had mine installed at the factory and that price is in the ballpark (unless you find a deal or special). When I had mine installed the closest installer was only 350 miles away but their price was much grater than the factory. The difference was great enough it covered 3/4 the cost of fuel to make the trip to the factory. So I went to Lippert and MorRyde and got multiple things done. Now the price may have come down in the past 15 months but the price you have been quoted is in the ballpark (actually cheaper) than what I actually paid (before taxes).
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #18
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
Dobe, Booneville RV is a tad cheaper.
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #19
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
We had our installed at the Lippert factory in Goshen 10 days ago. For whatever reason, they left the original pump installed. I found that puzzling, but that was the factory did anyhow.

The controls are mounted on the side of our '10 3665RE

I also had them remove the rear jacks, dead weight.

Now that we've had it for a while, we really love the upgrade! And it is sooo much faster!

My $0.02
jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
Aviator

M.O.C. #11487
We have a 2009 3665RE 10th Anniversary Montana. We're very interested in having the Level-Up system installed, but we have a few questions. Perhaps some of you can answer them.

1) How long does a typical install take?

2) It sounds like there are some options to consider that affect the install? Any comments or suggestions?

3) RickW commented that he had MorRyde & Lippert system mods done while getting the Level-Up system installed. Any comments or suggestions?

4) Are there other qualified installation facilities besides Goshen and Boonville?

5) If yes to #4, anything in the Denver or Salt Lake City areas?

6) Do any of you have installation facility names & phone numbers for the Goshen & Boonville installation facilities (or others you have used)?

Thanks for your help.

Don & Suzy Heineman
Steamboat Springs, CO
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote