Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
AC Powered Compressor

I've had it with 12v compressors and want to upgrade to an AC model. However, I can't seem to correlate the specs...horse power versus gallon size versus max psi available. Some models are huge but only put out 80 psi; others are smaller but say 150 psi???

Any information that would shed some light on this would be appreciated.

billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Bill, Check out the Sear's line of tankless air compressors. I got one from them about ten years ago for about $100. They have probably come down a bit since then, but it has never failed to inflate tires to 80#s when I have needed it. I just stow it in the front bay. Tim
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Bill everything you mention is a factor. The actual output (CFM) is a very important factor when airing up large high pressure tires or anything else requiring large volumes of air like large nail guns. The larger the CFM the quicker you will air up the tires.

Here is a site with a lot of info about compressors and I think you will find your answer there.

http://www.billpentz.com/Woodworking...Specifications
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The capacity of the compressor (the horse power) is the rating of how much air the device is capable of blowing. The size of the tank determines how long the device can sustain the specified capacity.

The motor you hear on a compressor creates the air pressure in the tank needed to support the capacity at the nozzle when you press on the "trigger". A very large tank will run a lot longer filling up stuff, than a small tank filling up stuff. There will be a gauge showing you the amount of capacity in the tank. A second gauge is used to control the amount of pressure at the nozzle up to the capacity of your unit.

I had a 3 gallon, 90 PSI unit that took forever to fill my truck and trailer tires to their 75-80 PSI requirements. The motor started having to refill the tank just about everytime I filled one tire, then I would have to wait for the pressure to build up since it was only a 90 PSI unit. I now use a 6 gallon oil-less compressor with a rated 135PSI which delivers 2.6 SCFMs @ 90 PSI. Using this, the motor starts back up to create pressure after about 2-3 tires. And it is still small enough to carry in the back of my truck. So it takes just a few minutes to check and refill my tires.

To power it I use one of my Honda EU2000 generators in case I need to fill up on the road and I am not near 110v. Like when I lost a Mission tire and I needed to refill the spare a little bit.

Having a full function air compressor means I am refilling kid's bikes, other camper's tires, blowing something out, etc. I would not leave home without it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bill, I carry an inflator from Sears. 124psi and tankless, so a little smaller. Slower for the 80psi tires, but it does get up there without blowing anything or overheating. I think I paid around $90.00 for it. I guess it's not a true compressor as you can't blow things out with a direct line, but it works fine for tires on trailer, tv and bikes.....I also have a Honda 2000 Gen if I need 110 volts on the road.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
soonerhooligan
Established Member

M.O.C. #9086
Bill
Last week we met friends in Rockport Tx. He was excited to show me his new toy. An RV'er in La. had showed him his Ryobi 18 volt compresser. He went straight out and got one. It has a digital read out for PSI. You just hold down on the trigger and it takes you up to desired pressure. One draw back, batt. and charger sold seperatley. He bought inflator, 2 batt., and charger for aprox. 100 bucks from Home Depot. Very handy. We topped all my tires off at 80lbs. Might be worth a try...
soonerhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote