Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Fantastic Fans

The dealer that we spoke with today agreed with you all about the potential height problem with the factory installed 2nd air conditioner. He suggested that we order the prep and wiring, along with two fantastic fans, one in the kitchen and another in the bedroom. He felt that the 2 fans and the 15,000 BTU A/C would handle all of our needs. If not, a Dometic Low Profile could be added later. We can fully appreciate that this dealer is from north of Pittsburgh, Pa. and may not have considered conditions in the Arizona desert in August.

Just thought we would share this tidbit with you all and wait for the experts to weigh in with their usual fantastic advice.
Don and Bonnie

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Don and Bonnie,

WHERE do you plan on traveling and staying with this unit??? Snow birding, full timing, living for months on end in the SW desert??

We each have our comfort levels, but unless you are gonna spend months in the SW in the summer, or maybe Florida for the summer, the extreme south, with extreme humidity and temps, you may not need the second air.

However, if you want that unit to be 68 degrees on a 87 degree day with 99 % humidity, cause that is your comfort zone, you are gonna need a second air.

Have it wired! NO DOUBT!

That said, I don't think Keystone can sell you a unit that is over legal height limits, Al and I usually figure 13 foot 6 inches, as that is the max you can drive, say the Pennsylvania Turnpike with. Over that, they flag ya off. Our Tana is 13 foot one inch, many here say 13 foot, we could have been off an inch in the measurement.

If Al and I were going to have a second A/C unit in the bedroom, I believe we would be looking at a low profile one, and yep, they are more coin.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Have it wired. I agree that I don't believe you would be over the height limits. As for the Fantastic Fans, you can't go wrong. They are a great way to move air through the rig, even in Arizona, Texas, Southern California. We've been there in 90 °F heat and were comfortable with the fans operating and a window(s) open on the shady side (end) of the rig.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We researched this subject for about nine months before buying our 2007 3400. Right at the last minute we ordered the low profile Duo Therm. As others have mentioned - to each their own. However, we have no regrets. As FTers, we have a backup A/C at the very least.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Too late on my order - it's coming in with the 2nd AC installed at the factory. No idea what it will be, but definately won't be low profile. I'll just have to try it out and see.

I bought another fantastic fan w/rain senser on Ebay for the old Monty, but never installed it. I'm going to put it in the bathroom on the new one to replace that other noisy fan.

Keep tellin Dealers I'm not buying the Monty for the climate around here. It's got wheels, not concrete, and I plan on visiting every corner of the USA with it!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:00 AM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
If you are buying a 3400RL and are in Texas summer heat one AC will not be enough. It would be ok if the temperatures weren't above 95F/96F. If you get higher than that it just won't cool it IMHO. We only have one AC right now, but we will have two by next summer. I will not sleep another night tossing and turning because the bedroom isn't cool enough. I even got the silver foil stuff and put it on all of the windows, but it still didn't cool it off enough.

Brad,

I don't think you will regret buying the second AC.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Too late on my order - it's coming in with the 2nd AC installed at the factory. No idea what it will be, but definately won't be low profile. I'll just have to try it out and see.
I don't know, Brad. I thought that it was considered an "industry standard procedure" (if there really is such a thing) that whenever a dealer installed a (front) 2nd A/C, that it always defaulted to a "low profile" model.

I'm kind of amazed that any dealer would not make an automatic effort/assumption that anything installed on the highest part of an RV would be have to be low profile anything...

When we ordered our 2nd A/C, we forgot to specify the low profile. When I realized this and called our dealer, he reassured us that this is always automatically assumed - he does that with all of his front 2nd A/C installed.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

When we ordered our 2nd A/C, we forgot to specify the low profile. When I realized this and called our dealer, he reassured us that this is always automatically assumed - he does that with all of his front 2nd A/C installed.
Look at mine - hate to see what a standard AC unit if this is considered low profile
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:40 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

Do you know if the Dealer installed it or the factory? My dealer told me the factory only installs the full size, and don't mess with the low profiles anymore.

Brad
Old 11-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have 1 Fantastic fan and 2 a/c's. I went with the low profile Dometic 13,500 btu in the bedroom. Will do it the same way on the next coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I have the factory installed 2nd A/C (regular size), and 2 fantastic fans. The fans worked well all summer, until Ohio had a major heat wave and I had to turn on the A/C. I used the second A/C at night on the fan option.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Now that you all have convinced me to seriously consider a low profile 2nd air conditioner, let me rephrase my question: With two air conditioners, is there any practical reason to consider more than one fantastic fan. I've read comments suggesting placement in the kitchen because it is the highest point in the trailer, but will this draw humidity out of the bedroom after you've taken a shower?
Don
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Don,
I have 2 a/c's and 1 FF in the kitchen. I keep the vent next to the shower open while using the shower, and thanks to Steve R. I now have a better fan (muffin fan) in my watercloset. Between the FF and the new muffin fan, I do not have any moisture problems. It is only my opinion, but I think 1 FF and the 2 a/c's will be more than enough for you.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
UH-OH, now I'm not sure what to do with the extra fantastic fan I have. Didn't know there was also a vent in the hall by the shower. I figure the factory one will be in the kitchen, and I was going to put the other one in the water closet. Maybe I should reconsider and put it next to the shower.

The best planning - hmmmm
Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
Can be done, you will just have to fish the wires from the watercloset to the vent over the stairs. Should be pretty easy for you.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:22 AM   #16
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Brad, my unit came with 2. One in the kitchen and the other in the hall by the shower.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:58 AM   #17
yvonnenid
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4853
Brad,
Our 06 3670 came with 3 f.fans. One in the kitchen, one over the bed, and one next to the shower. We have used them all at different times. We really liked the one over our bed in the hot summer weather.
yvonnenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:51 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow - I thought you just got one fantastic fan - and that was a $445 option! Did you folks order them with multiple fans, or were you just surprised when they came in?

Who knows what I'll have. I did put the FF in the contract, maybe that was for an additional beyond the standard.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
You have to order the fans.