Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 04:03 PM   #41
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by miton 5052 View Post
for the freezer you could put it on a sliding drawer(moryde) . Good Luck on your search.

I actually have the freezer on a Moryde now, outstanding piece of equipment. Yes, it turns out I can probably just squeeze the freezer in the genset compartment, but what I would prefer is the left or right side compartment on a slide. On some of the units (2005 3400RL for example) this is not possible because the side compartment floors step up 8-10" just inside the door, so while the door is plenty big enough the vertical space in the compartment is not. I have found the later models do not have this step-up, so that's something I will be watching for

Back2PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #42
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Hey OP!
If you move to the southern NC coast I'd think you were following us,, LOL!
I may actually look at a workamper job in the vicinity, winter of 2019. Watch out!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #43
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2PA View Post
Substantially less. I also have a full size pickup which I tow behind the motorhome so I'm maintaining two drivetrains. I'll be replacing that with a 3/4-1 ton V10 tow vehicle - I doubt there will be much difference in maintenance costs between the pickups. And I will eliminate altogether the chassis/drivetrain maintenance of the motorhome. Still have the "house stuff" to maintain in either case, pretty much leaving tires, brakes and bearings as the only real chassis maintenance on the 5W.
If you are planning on a v-10 then you certainly want an older model as the later 5th wheels are much heavier. My 3402RL weighs 16,200 pounds and you would not have enough torque on an v-10 for that much weight especially in the mountains. Good luck with your search.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #44
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
If you are planning on a v-10 then you certainly want an older model as the later 5th wheels are much heavier. My 3402RL weighs 16,200 pounds and you would not have enough torque on an v-10 for that much weight especially in the mountains. Good luck with your search.

Ya I've been watching the weight. The one I'd really like to see in person is the High Country 343RL. I like the floorplan and GVW is about 12,500. Pretty good chance I won't get out west much, planning on concentrating on the east coast, although I realize there are still mountains to be had. While I realize the V10 may not be the ideal pulling machine, there's gas motorhomes in the mid-high 20K weight range using it and I anticipate being in the 23K and under area. Since it will spend 95% of its time getting groceries I think it will work, and will be cheaper to maintain. Just my thoughts at the moment, things could change.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #45
Kiwi2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #22217
Our Montana 285RLD weighs dry 9800 lbs. What would an estimate be with it loaded up minus fluids? We are considering going to a gas Super duty to replace our diesel and save a few bucks in the process. The F-250 gas with 3:73 axle ratio is good up to 12,500 lbs towing and 3500 pound payload. Does that sound doable?
Kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #46
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi2000 View Post
Our Montana 285RLD weighs dry 9800 lbs. What would an estimate be with it loaded up minus fluids? We are considering going to a gas Super duty to replace our diesel and save a few bucks in the process. The F-250 gas with 3:73 axle ratio is good up to 12,500 lbs towing and 3500 pound payload. Does that sound doable?
I would estimate you'll be close to your max towing weight but probably OK. Your F-250 must be a newer one if you have 3500 pounds with 3:73. What year is it, cab size and engine?

For budget reasons I'm looking 2006 to about 2012 Ford. The earlier F-250's with 4:10 could just do 14K but cargo weights are low. Back to thinking F-350 as some of the trailers I'm looking at could run 15-16K
Old 07-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #47
Kiwi2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #22217
Our Montana 285RLD weighs dry 9800 lbs. What would a total wieght estimate be with it loaded up minus fluids?
Old 07-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #48
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Our Montana 285RLD weighs dry 9800 lbs. What would a total wieght estimate be with it loaded up minus fluids?
I have no idea what you carry but I'd guess you'll be in the 12,000 pound range minus fluids. Just a wild guess
Old 07-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a 2005 F-350 V-10 puling our 2006 3400. We had to change to our present 2008 F-350 6.4L diesel. Very poor MPG and just could not handle the hills.The V10 is a strong motor and will work well with a lighter 5th wheel.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #50
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
If you already have a Diesel you will be very disappointed with a gasoline engine. The Diesel makes its power at 1500 RPMs the gasoline engine makes its power at closer to 4000 RPMs. If you plan on running 4000 RPMs you won’t have any problem. And a gasoline engine looses 3.6 % of its power for every 1000 feet of elevation so if you say go from Cheyenne to Laramie it’s 8800 feet so you will be down 36% on your power. If you already had a gasoline engine I’d say keep it but I would not recommend going to a gasoline engine from a diesel.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #51
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
3400rl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2PA View Post
Hello all, new member, long time RVer. Currently fulltiming in a Dutch Star, making the move in the Spring to a FW. Front runners are the Montana 3400RL and the Everest 344J. You'll see from those two that they are quite similar layouts so that's pretty much what I'm looking for. Would love to hear comments from owners as to what they like, and what they have found they don't like, about each of these. For example, I'm concerned about the fact that the washer plumbing is in the large wardrobe in the Everest, thereby taking up lots of space there once installed (will definitely be installing a combo washer). Thanks
We have a 3400RL which we are extremely pleased with. it is a 2013 model which we have kept in like new condition, so we often receive compliments on it's appearance. Unfortunately, due to health situations we will have to sell it. I'd be happy to discuss the experiences we've had regarding issues and delights.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #52
Kiwi2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #22217
mlh
Quote:
If you already have a Diesel you will be very disappointed with a gasoline engine. The Diesel makes its power at 1500 RPMs the gasoline engine makes its power at closer to 4000 RPMs. If you plan on running 4000 RPMs you won’t have any problem. And a gasoline engine looses 3.6 % of its power for every 1000 feet of elevation so if you say go from Cheyenne to Laramie it’s 8800 feet so you will be down 36% on your power. If you already had a gasoline engine I’d say keep it but I would not recommend going to a gasoline engine from a diesel.
Lynwood
Thank you for the information. These are valid concerns you are making for sure and our current 2010 twin turbo diesel is no jack rabbit pulling now as winds, elevation and load all effect the tow. I do not want less towing power but the cost difference between new diesel and gas trucks is staggering and the salespeople have pointed out that all of the relevant numbers are higher for the new gas truck than on our diesel. On paper it works and we can get 8 years of trouble free motoring with the purchase of Ford extended warranty as opposed to riding on tender hooks with our now recently off warranty diesel.
Ford Sales says if I change out the rear axle ratio I can get to 15,000 lbs towing.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #53
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
"Ford Sales says if I change out the rear axle ratio I can get to 15,000 lbs towing." meaning if ordered from the factory. Nothing aftermarket can change the numbers assigned when it left the factory.
JMO but a 5er over 10,500 gvwr requires a diesel for comfortable towing and most 3/4 ton do not have the required payload. Many do not care about the numbers though as seen by the # of 3/4 pulling over payload and in fewer cases gvwr as well.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #54
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Made the move from gas powered motorhome (National Sea Breeze) to Montana 2 years ago. Most of the problems I had with mh were related to drivetrain and vehicle related issues. Lost brakes after coming down western side of the California coastal mountains. Real scary! Problem was finding a shop with a lift big enough to handle 33 foot motorhome and available appointment in Fort Bragg, Calif. Also, 5th wheels were always passing us on interstates, and my handled like crap...oversized bread truck. You either tow a toad or tow a trailer, so you're always towing. You are limited where a mh can be repaired, but there's always a shop that can repair a pickup. Plus, if you do have a drivetrain issue, you still can live in the fiver. Hard to live in mh when it's in the shop.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:22 AM   #55
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
You are limited where a mh can be repaired, but there's always a shop that can repair a pickup. Plus, if you do have a drivetrain issue, you still can live in the fiver. Hard to live in mh when it's in the shop.

Some of the same reasons I've made the decision. Plus, I really like the more "home like" feel of the fiver and as a fulltimer that's become more important.

As I'd mentioned earlier in the topic, I'd been narrowing the decision and was leaning toward the "bath in a box" style like the High Country 343RL and Everest 348R. Finally got in a 343RL yesterday, found one a couple hours away. Seeing it in person confirms what I'd thought looking at pictures - has the basic 3400 floorplan but with other things I like, such as the bathroom layout and a flat floor in the cargo area - it will easily accommodate the freezer I'd mentioned earlier. (Might only be earlier 3400s, but I found about a 8-10" "step-up" in the cargo area, apparently where they put the holding tanks, that severely limited space.) Plus, it weighs about 2000 pounds less than the 3400 and others, putting it solidly in 3/4 ton territory which gives me many more options truck-wise.

So I'm still a few months away but if anyone is toying with the idea of selling their High Country 343RL, or know someone who is, I'd be interested in starting a dialog.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #56
Gary and Buffy
Established Member

M.O.C. #22582
Started looking in Feb.
I looked at a 2009 3400RL and liked everything except the bathroom setup.
Kept searching and then found the 3455sa. Bathroom is much better floor plan for us.
Agree with Beeje on his posts.
Have had 2 travel trailers, pick up camper, 2 class Cs. 30 years of camping and our Montana is probably our last camper. Bought a 2010 3455sa in Aug. We Love it
Gary and Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #57
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary and Buffy View Post
Started looking in Feb.
I looked at a 2009 3400RL and liked everything except the bathroom setup.
Kept searching and then found the 3455sa. Bathroom is much better floor plan for us.
Agree with Beeje on his posts.
Have had 2 travel trailers, pick up camper, 2 class Cs. 30 years of camping and our Montana is probably our last camper. Bought a 2010 3455sa in Aug. We Love it
I do like the bathroom in the 3455 but I prefer the desk arrangement in the 343RL.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #58
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Gary and Buffy, The 3455sa is a well laid out unit (except for maybe the desk location). Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. I have done numerous mods to it along with what the pervious owners had done. Its almost to where I would like it to be. Im working on getting the Mor Ryde IS installed as my next project.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #59
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have both a motor home and a Montana HC. Both serve a different need. The HC is great to live in for an extended period plus you have a heavy duty truck for your off road traveling. The MH is great for my wife to travel in. She has back trouble, several problems and can’t sit in a truck without pain. In the MH she can get up and move around even lay down. The MH is probably less trouble than a Diesel pickup and a camper.
Which do I like the best? No question the Montana and pickup. The MH is an under powered pig. You can put a suit on a pig but it’s still a pig. You creep up the hills and fight to keep it in your lane. My pickup has 600 HP so power is no problem plus it handles better. The 5er is just a better way to go, in my opinion.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #60
Back2PA
Established Member

M.O.C. #22203
Hello all. As a follow up to my original post, I thought I would add that I have now spent considerable time over the last few months looking at fivers both online and in person and have probably sifted through well over 100 floor plans. I've owned several motorhomes over the years and am familiar with the RV search process- I've spent hours sitting in a few contenders getting a sense of what I like and don't. From this I have developed a very, very specific list of requirements, virtually all of which are met by the Montana High Country 343RL. However, I will be shopping in earnest soon and want to be certain I haven't missed some models that may have something to offer. With that in mind I thought members here are likely to have seen many models I haven't yet considered.

So here is the must have list:
Rear living area with side desk/entertainment (not a rear entertainment center)
Desk with a couple drawers and other storage next to/above it
"U" shaped kitchen (i.e., a counter which starts at the wall, comes out into an L thereby creating a U)
4 door gas fridge
"Bath in a box" - complete bathroom (shower/vanity/toilet) in a room with doors, not curtains
Flat floor in basement (no step-up)
50A/2 AC
4 slides min

The High Country has all that and can legitimately be pulled with '06 or later 3/4 tons which is a bonus. However I wouldn't mind something a couple feet longer (up to about 40') but need to keep the gross in the 14-15K range (maybe 16) due to TV budget (looking at '06-12ish probably Ford one ton SRW but will consider DRW if the "perfect" fiver requires it).

So, have I missed anything? Even (shudder) other than Montana?

Thx