Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2018, 09:35 PM   #361
Hwtezrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #22426
They did call back door is rated at 1600lbs

Hwtezrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #362
karen.morgan@morrisbb.net
Established Member

M.O.C. #22321
So, went to get out camper today from dealer, whom as had it since the 24th of July, 5 days after we purchased, and things their tech signed off of being done were not. The only 2 things that were completed was the collapsed air vent and fixing the shower. While we were there we decided to check the slides for the leaking grease issue and yep there it was in all 4 slides. Needless to say I had enough. Corporate was in town because of a huge bluegrass festival they are having and I demanded the service manager, someone from corporate right then. Once we were took in to an office and I began to vent, the situation turned around and was in our favor. Ours was the first they have had on the gear box issues so they are getting with Keystone. Offered lifetime warranty on the repairs they make as long as I own the unit. I am so glad I joined these montana sites or I would not have known to check the gear issues.
karen.morgan@morrisbb.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #363
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen.morgan@morrisbb.net View Post
So, went to get out camper today from dealer, whom as had it since the 24th of July, 5 days after we purchased, and things their tech signed off of being done were not. The only 2 things that were completed was the collapsed air vent and fixing the shower. While we were there we decided to check the slides for the leaking grease issue and yep there it was in all 4 slides. Needless to say I had enough. Corporate was in town because of a huge bluegrass festival they are having and I demanded the service manager, someone from corporate right then. Once we were took in to an office and I began to vent, the situation turned around and was in our favor. Ours was the first they have had on the gear box issues so they are getting with Keystone. Offered lifetime warranty on the repairs they make as long as I own the unit. I am so glad I joined these montana sites or I would not have known to check the gear issues.

Glad to hear it is going your way now. Sometimes you have to get mean to get things done!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #364
Foodgod1
Established Member

M.O.C. #21586
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen.morgan@morrisbb.net View Post
I'm really happy that you got the response you did. Elated in fact. These guys are masters in the art of verbal judo. Them telling you that yours is the first they've seen is just a flat out fib. Keystone is well aware of this issue and are falling all over themselves to keep it quiet. That's why whenever someone starts to raise a stink about it they rush them through the line and get them taken care of to hush them up. Please make sure you pass on to other Keystone owners about how to handle the issue. It's exactly how I got mine handled as well. If you educate yourself so you know the issue at hand, go in to the dealer ready to defend your position and don't settle for anything less than complete replacement of the gear drives and ruined roof membranes on the slideouts. My dealer is waiting on the new motors/gear drives. Meanwhile they said it's OK to use the RV to take our vacation to florida. When we get back the parts will be here and they can start on it. I'm glad you are getting taken care of and proud of you.
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:45 PM   #365
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodgod1 View Post
I'm really happy that you got the response you did. Elated in fact. These guys are masters in the art of verbal judo. Them telling you that yours is the first they've seen is just a flat out fib. Keystone is well aware of this issue and are falling all over themselves to keep it quiet. That's why whenever someone starts to raise a stink about it they rush them through the line and get them taken care of to hush them up. Please make sure you pass on to other Keystone owners about how to handle the issue. It's exactly how I got mine handled as well. If you educate yourself so you know the issue at hand, go in to the dealer ready to defend your position and don't settle for anything less than complete replacement of the gear drives and ruined roof membranes on the slideouts. My dealer is waiting on the new motors/gear drives. Meanwhile they said it's OK to use the RV to take our vacation to florida. When we get back the parts will be here and they can start on it. I'm glad you are getting taken care of and proud of you.
So is there a new version of the motors/gearboxes that does not leak?? Because Keystone just sent me 4 drip pans
Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #366
Foodgod1
Established Member

M.O.C. #21586
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
So is there a new version of the motors/gearboxes that does not leak?? Because Keystone just sent me 4 drip pans
We're gonna find out when we come back from vacation in October. That's when he said they'd have the parts. So maybe Norco has the problem worked out and will be coming out with replacements. I can only repeat what my service department tells me at this time...
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:00 AM   #367
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
There is a space below the oven that seems completely wasted, absolutely nothing there. I am thinking of adding a drawer for cookware etc. My question is in matching the stain, I am going to call Keystone to see if I could buy some or where to buy some. Duplicating the wood work is easy & I also have some other cabinet modifications that would require color matching. Has anyone had any luck with finding matching stain?
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #368
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
There is a space below the oven that seems completely wasted, absolutely nothing there. I am thinking of adding a drawer for cookware etc. My question is in matching the stain, I am going to call Keystone to see if I could buy some or where to buy some. Duplicating the wood work is easy & I also have some other cabinet modifications that would require color matching. Has anyone had any luck with finding matching stain?
I saw a post of someone who had done this mod. I think it was on the 380/381 Facebook page.

As for the stain, I would go to a true paint store. They have people that actually know what they are doing. Your not going to need much so it won’t cost much more to do it right. If you use soft wood I would use a seal coat before the stain so it doesn’t turn out splotchy and then clear finish coat in gloss to match finish. Yeah finish takes more time than cutting/fitting!! Plenty of u tube videos out there to help.....
Old 09-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #369
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Pulled the trigger on a arctic cat trail wildcat ltd 50 inch. It is the only sxs that will fit with minimal work,have to let air out of the front tires. We are picking it up next week end and will post some pics loading it up. We are going to n Carolina to get it and will stop on the way back at a riding area to try it out, should be a blast. My wife and I fit comfortably in it and they sell a dog enclosure for the bed. Plus tons of accessories.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #370
LeonBlack
Established Member

M.O.C. #21807
The bed in my 381th goes up smoothly and semi-quietly. Maybe mine is smooth because there is NOT a seal of any kind between the lifting part of the bed and the garage underneath. This is the strangest and most screwed up design flaw I think I have ever encountered. If you have the garage open at night and turn on the light in the garage, flying critters are GOING to be attracted. Something about natural law or something along those lines. In any case, if you close the garages with said critters in there they will seek escape. Now we are back to the complete lack of anything even closely resembling a seal between the garage and the bedroom above it.

My wife and I were busy for hours killing these flying critters. A portion of these beggars were of the blood sucking types. How much would it have added to put a rubber seal between the moving wall and the fixed wall? Perhaps another $100 dollars?
Get ready for that one. Still trying to figure out how to fix this no seal issue without dismantling the entire bedroom..

Suggestions? Anyone.. Please
LeonBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #371
dlscott185
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21450
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonBlack View Post
The bed in my 381th goes up smoothly and semi-quietly. Maybe mine is smooth because there is NOT a seal of any kind between the lifting part of the bed and the garage underneath. This is the strangest and most screwed up design flaw I think I have ever encountered. If you have the garage open at night and turn on the light in the garage, flying critters are GOING to be attracted. Something about natural law or something along those lines. In any case, if you close the garages with said critters in there they will seek escape. Now we are back to the complete lack of anything even closely resembling a seal between the garage and the bedroom above it.

My wife and I were busy for hours killing these flying critters. A portion of these beggars were of the blood sucking types. How much would it have added to put a rubber seal between the moving wall and the fixed wall? Perhaps another $100 dollars?
Get ready for that one. Still trying to figure out how to fix this no seal issue without dismantling the entire bedroom..

Suggestions? Anyone.. Please
Ours has the seals. Not that it would really seal anything out, but it is there.

I think you need to take it back to your dealer and complain about it. Let them worry about how to install it.
Snowy
dlscott185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #372
dlscott185
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21450
Happy with our 380TH

I just wanted to post that while we did have issues with some things, eventually our dealer, Rich and Sons in Grand Island, NE, have fixed all of them, and DW and I are very happy with our camper. And kudo's to Rich and Sons. They are a great dealer/service organization.

The power bed was jerky and slow at first, but after working with Keystone/LCI for 8 hours one day, they got it to where it should have been from the beginning. Nice and smooth all the way up and down.

The power recliner was repaired under warranty, but not sure what they had to do to it.

The baggage door on the drivers side front had to be replaced twice, but it now is solid and I've replaced the 60 lbs. gas struts with 40 lbs. to reduce the chance of the door coming apart again. It works fine.

The dealer installed the drip pans on our first warranty repair visit before I even knew they were an issue. So no bubbled roof on the slides.

I replumbed the grey drain into the black outlet, so only one hose to hook up. Easy, and it took more time assembling the parts than it did to actually do it. I still don't understand why Keystone saw fit to install 2 drains. The layout of the tanks and lines made it easier to just have one.

On our first outing in March just after we picked it up, the leveling system gave me the dreaded error message about one leg not working properly. the dealer and I both reseated the connectors for that leg, and no problems since. It's working for us.

And while we are not full timers, I've spent 55 nights in it, and DW is at 49. So it gets used and moved around a lot.

And we've had guests sleep in the fold out couches who've reported they are very comfortable, and want to get one for their camper in place of the couch/airbed thing.

So overall we are happy. I hope everyone can eventually say the same thing.
Snowy
dlscott185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #373
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
FYI I called BAL customer service about the leaky gear boxes today. I spoke with Michelle & she told me there were no new gear boxes coming, the drip pan is the fix. I asked her to send me four & I would install myself rather than go back to the dealer. I am adding slide toppers next week so I am not too worried about the roof, if it becomes a problem I get it rhino lined. Time camping is more important to us, especially this time of year, we all know how long it takes a dealer to get it done.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #374
fredetteb
Established Member

M.O.C. #20521
Quote:
FYI I called BAL customer service about the leaky gear boxes today. I spoke with Michelle & she told me there were no new gear boxes coming, the drip pan is the fix. I asked her to send me four & I would install myself rather than go back to the dealer. I am adding slide toppers next week so I am not too worried about the roof, if it becomes a problem I get it rhino lined. Time camping is more important to us, especially this time of year, we all know how long it takes a dealer to get it done.
If they would send me a 4 pack I'm more than capable of putting them on myself. Should I be proactive and request them even though I don't have any current issues?
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #375
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Yes call BAL customer service at 1-574-596-8277 speak to Michelle & just tell her you would rather install them yourself, say they are just starting to drip. They probably cost 20$ with shipping, if you look on utube they fit tight & you will never see them.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #376
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
That’s about the point where it is very obvious they need competitors!!! If that is their fix the buyers for Keystone and others need to put them out of business!!!
Old 09-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #377
fredetteb
Established Member

M.O.C. #20521
Screen Door Adjustment

My screen door is very loose when closed and only takes a slight bump to open. Is there any way to adjust the door catch? The door jamb seem to be all one piece and the handle doesn't have adjusting holes that I can see. Anyone else have this issue?
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #378
Established Member

M.O.C. #22321
Ceilings

Has anyone had issues with places in their ceiling showing discolorations? We have noticed several places throughout the entire unit. Looks like they took a putty knife and smeared something in multiple areas. Ill try to attach pictures of what I am talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling discoloration light beige 4.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	2382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling discoloration light beige 5.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling discoloration light beige in color.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	2384  
Old 09-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #379
Established Member

M.O.C. #22321
Shower

Passing on some more issues we have found that are not noticeable unless you are looking for them. It is the shower unit. Ours has multiple places where the fiberglass has cracked. 4 so far. Keystone VP in currently involved in all out issues and are developing a plan of action on all our issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st shower place before repair.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	2385   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 of 4 places in shower not repaired.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	2386  
Old 10-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #380
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Mice!,

Not sure how I missed such an obvious mistake but where the water hose comes into the camper its a 3 inch opening. 1st cold day there were signs of rodent activity, while setting traps I noticed the nice entrance & ladder I left for the little critters. Immediately I taped it off & ordered a proper style hatch & will stuff some steel wool around it. Its our first season with the new camper so we will carefully look for any potential entry points, just wondering if any one else has dealt with this yet or am I the only dummy. Hopefully we caught it in time & evicted them before they get too comfortable.