Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
How about a HC 380TH/381TH thread?

The unique "hidden garage" floor plan of the Montana High Country HC380TH (or HC381TH with residential reefer) was appealing for folks like me who like the idea of a toy hauler or just having a spare room without taking up all the room of a dedicated full garage.

The story goes, if I have it right, that Grand Design came up with the floor plan with their Solitude 674 and the Momentum equivalent and Keystone paid homage (aka copied) the floor plan the following year introducing the model in 2017.

A year later they made some changes including assorted (what I consider) upgrades. That's when we bought in. We just signed the order papers last week!

There's not much info out there and certainly no common place as yet for 380/381 owners to share ideas, so maybe this thread can end up being like a monster thread I was on for a couple of years for our beloved and soon to be traded-in Damon (Thor) Outlaw.

Cheers!
Anthony

OutlawPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Alright then. First question on this thread...

Has anyone added a stacked washer and dryer in the bedroom/bathroom shared closet (shown in the floor plan as "Washer/Dryer Prep")?

If so, how much room remains in the closet for closet-type use?
Old 10-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
Irene Wilson
Established Member

M.O.C. #20725
There is plenty of closet space d/t the slide is all closet along with enclosed shelving on each side of the bed
Irene Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #4
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
I mean how much closet space remain in the shared bathroom/bedroom closet once the washer and dryer is installed. I suspect the w&d take up a lot, but is there ANY room left in there for, say, towels or bathroom supplies?

The Aviators TV Website | Facebook Page | YouTube Channel
Streaming Episodes (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon)
Old 10-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #5
Irene Wilson
Established Member

M.O.C. #20725
Yes there are 2 shelves, the middle one comes out to make room for washing unit and there is still another top shelf
We have looked at a lot of campers and this one has met the needs that we want.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
engelj4905

M.O.C. #20720
I have the 381TH and love it.
engelj4905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #7
Irene Wilson
Established Member

M.O.C. #20725
Personally we have the hook up but not really sure I want to put washer dryer in there. When traveling most of ur campgrounds have washer and dryers
Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
engelj4905

M.O.C. #20720
Anyone have any problems with the bed going up smoothly?
Old 10-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
Jsh
Established Member

M.O.C. #20417
What are the upgrades on the 2018?
Old 10-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
engelj4905

M.O.C. #20720
Added a front window, some led accent lights to the front and added drawer space in the bathroom.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I am honestly not trying to brag here but I will give you the exact history on this unit. I was at the Dallas RV show a few years back and actually drew out the concept for the floor plan for a Grand Design rep. The following year they were making it!!! Unfortunately they did not make the garage long enough (even though there is a nice sized pass thru storage just in front of garage on their unit!). I called GD designers about a half dozen times trying everything I could to get them to extend the garage into the pass thru but they would NOT do it. I finally gave up and called a couple other mfg. Keystone took the bait and came out with their own version of the floor plan but had the wisdom to make the garage 6" longer than GDs. Stretching that garage the extra 6" to a full 10' makes all the difference in the world!!! Now we can carry our jet ski and kayaks which would not fit in the GD garage. It opens up the floor plan to a whole lot more people (IE: it is not limited to the guy with the Harley only, I can say that we have a motorcycle too). It also doesn't hurt that the Keystone is $30K cheaper too!

I had repeatedly told GD that I would buy their unit IF they would extend the garage. As proof we just took delivery of the Keystone 2 weeks ago. Sorry GD you should have listened!!!!

The other big change that we actually like between the GD and Keystone is the amount of awning space on the passenger/door side of the unit. That is where we do most of our entertaining and we really hate slides taking up awning space in that area. Granted you have to give up the island in the kitchen but nothing is perfect eh....

I also have promoted another possible layout where the floor in the kitchen (and actually the entire living space) is at the same height as the bedroom and living room. That would allow for a basement garage the ENTIRE LENGTH of the unit at least up to the tounge rise!!!!! Now think about that a minute. A pass thru storage from the rear end all the way to your tows tailgate! How many toys are not all that tall but very long (canoes for example)......I think that floor plan would be interesting. Think about it, taking both your motorcycle (in the very back end because it is taller-windshield) and your jet ski with you at the same time!!! Can anyone say Florida cruising on both land and water!!!
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsh View Post
Thomas Payne furniture. Not sure what else on the Keystone. Grand Design added the bed lift on their 2017 if I am not mistaken (I think Keystone did that first and GD actually had to play catch up).
Old 10-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsh View Post
Not for certain but didn't they go from a fixed mounted front tv to a tv on a lift and also added a front window to the fiberglass cap?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #14
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by engelj4905 View Post
Anyone have any problems with the bed going up smoothly?
Mine lifts fine but it is noisy!
Old 10-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawPilot View Post
Alright then. First question on this thread...

Has anyone added a stacked washer and dryer in the bedroom/bathroom shared closet (shown in the floor plan as "Washer/Dryer Prep")?

If so, how much room remains in the closet for closet-type use?
Been looking at the washer dryers our self but I think we will go with the combo unit....
Old 10-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
For those of you waiting on your unit to come in:

There are two discharge points for the sewage hoses. The front one is for your gray water tanks. The back one is for your black water tank only. Since the two are not tied together you won't have the gray water to clear hose out after black water drain. However if you leave some water in your fresh water tank you can use the onboard 12 volt pump to rinse the black tank via a jumper line between the outside wash down hose and the black tank flush line which happen to both be located in the same compartment.

Related to above your black water flush fitting is not labeled but it is the bottom female hose fitting in your water inlets area. The middle fitting is your freshwater supply and the top is the winterizing inlet.

When you attach a city water connection to your freshwater supply you can fill your water tank by turning the valve to the right of the connection (the lever will point down). Important to understand the fill and watch for the tank to be full because you will put a fair amount of pressure on the tank while filling!!!!! First time you do it I strongly recommend that you check the fresh water venting line for air leaving tank. The vent is located on the wall under the kitchen slide and has a clam shell looking plastic vent. You can put your cheek up to the vent to feel for air leaving tank as you fill it with water. If that vent is plugged your putting full city water pressure on the tank which isn't going to end well.......It's one of the reasons I don't like having that sort of fill line on the tank but if you can't have a gravity feed line high enough above and close to the tank it is about the only way to do it......

On the electrical control panel at the entry door:
Scare light is the large round on passenger side up near the front.
The slide switches are not marked. On ours the two outside ones are the front slides. I do really like that you can control each slide separately!!! But get a label machine!
The water heater has two switches one for electric and one for gas. I was told you can use both at the same time to heat water up faster. Special note BE SURE TO FILL TANK BEFORE USING ELECTRIC HEAT or you will burn out element!!!!

There is one switch in the control panel that is not marked and I have not found any thing it is attached to yet. Perhaps we have a spare or there was an option we did not get????

The 6 point leveling system is going to be another entire post.......
Old 10-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
If you want to add underbelly and or step lighting try Aspect LED lighting (goggle it) they sell LED strip lighting that is fairly reasonable. If you get the 12volt you can run it directly off of your battery without a power supply. You will need a controller however. You can get 16' of color changing waterproof strip lighting for about $65 and the controller is $29. There is 16' of smooth underbelly from the rear axle going forward. You will have to use 8' lengths (you can cut the strip to length) front and back as there are metal cross braces. Good news is the cross braces are a good place to mount the strips and it protects them...
Old 10-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #18
engelj4905

M.O.C. #20720
Yes. TV is on a lift that is behind the fireplace.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #19
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Wilson View Post
Yes there are 2 shelves, the middle one comes out to make room for washing unit and there is still another top shelf
Perfect. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #20
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I am honestly not trying to brag here but I will give you the exact history on this unit. I was at the Dallas RV show a few years back and actually drew out the concept for the floor plan for a Grand Design rep. The following year they were making it!!! Unfortunately they did not make the garage long enough (even though there is a nice sized pass thru storage just in front of garage on their unit!). I called GD designers about a half dozen times trying everything I could to get them to extend the garage into the pass thru but they would NOT do it. I finally gave up and called a couple other mfg. Keystone took the bait and came out with their own version of the floor plan but had the wisdom to make the garage 6" longer than GDs. Stretching that garage the extra 6" to a full 10' makes all the difference in the world!!! Now we can carry our jet ski and kayaks which would not fit in the GD garage. It opens up the floor plan to a whole lot more people (IE: it is not limited to the guy with the Harley only, I can say that we have a motorcycle too). It also doesn't hurt that the Keystone is $30K cheaper too!

I had repeatedly told GD that I would buy their unit IF they would extend the garage. As proof we just took delivery of the Keystone 2 weeks ago. Sorry GD you should have listened!!!!

The other big change that we actually like between the GD and Keystone is the amount of awning space on the passenger/door side of the unit. That is where we do most of our entertaining and we really hate slides taking up awning space in that area. Granted you have to give up the island in the kitchen but nothing is perfect eh....

I also have promoted another possible layout where the floor in the kitchen (and actually the entire living space) is at the same height as the bedroom and living room. That would allow for a basement garage the ENTIRE LENGTH of the unit at least up to the tounge rise!!!!! Now think about that a minute. A pass thru storage from the rear end all the way to your tows tailgate! How many toys are not all that tall but very long (canoes for example)......I think that floor plan would be interesting. Think about it, taking both your motorcycle (in the very back end because it is taller-windshield) and your jet ski with you at the same time!!! Can anyone say Florida cruising on both land and water!!!
I knew there was a reason I liked you... besides the drummer and pilot part!

Anthony