Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2007, 04:58 PM   #61
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am an information "junkie". Bert's right. Doesn't really matter in the end. It just would be nice to watch for specific telltale signs that a tv has been pulling overweight. I got to believe that if a truck has been puling just under the limits for an extended period of time, something got to begin to shows the signs of that.

It would be especially good for someone shopping for a used tv to check for any specific wear points that would be specific to towing overweight.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #62
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Bert says
So, as long as the "tows fine don't have a problem" posts keep coming, I'll respond with the rest of the story, which is cargo capacity. Also, if the truth be told, I'd bet most MOC members did not know you could find the cargo capacity on the left rear sticker I keep mentioning.

Thanks for telling me about this sticker as well. I knew about the GVWR and the Gross Axle ratings but had not found this one until you told me. Thanks again.
Here is my payload sticker on my 05 F350 SRW 4x4 CC LB V10 payload 3782
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...r/P1000172.jpg
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:30 PM   #63
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Dave,
One comment you made earlier has got me thinking. That is the location of the FW tank. On the 3000RK it appears to be located slightly forward of the axles. (the gravity fill is located just aft of the hot water heater, and forward of the living room slide). My aft grey water is located approximately twice as far aft of the axles as the FW is forward. (The drain valve is just forward of the aft stablizers and aft of the living room slide).

I am learning alot from this thread. In addition to being over on my GVWR my 4# under max on my rear GAWR is too close. (adding the dog and his food would definately put me over on that axle and although I seem to tow just fine I am convinced I don't want to be in that situation.

I have already removed my generator from the truck bed and we have some other interior weight shifts we are going to invoke. I am seriously looking at the 5th Airborne sidewinder because I have a short bed and have already spent $250 to repair my front end cap when I discovered my new air deflector frame now is the first part of the cab to impact the monty nose cap. From what I have seen the Sidewinder while changing my pivot point will not significantly change my lever arm length. It WILL add to my pin weight and further overload my truck GVWR

Now for the purpose of this post. I am going to apply what I have learned here from the other contributors and what I learned in physics class. I will weigh my rig again next time as I hit the road to get the actual impact of removing the generator and adding DW and the dog as well as carrying less FS. Instead of dumping the FW on the ground I am going to move it to the rear gray water tank (turn on the pump and the kitchen faucett). Shifting this water from forward of the axle to at least twice as far behind the axles would/could/should have a very measurable effect on the pinweight and hence on the GVW on the truck. It will not affect the overall trailer weight. It will increase the weight on the trailer axles but I have the capacity there to handle that.

I will dump the gray water when I get to the camp ground and leave the campground with the rear gray water 2/3 full. I will still empty my forward grey tank behind my black and some from the aft tank to flush the piping but so far this has the potential to give me the biggest impact on my overweight issue and cost little if anything (increased chemical usage to control odors?)

I will let you know how the next trip to the scales comes out!

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #64
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
One thing you can try, Bill is to fill your aft gray tank 2/3 full (or a little fuller) and your forward FW tank 1/3 full (or maybe a little less). This will pull a little off the pin (if your 3000 GVWR isn't a problem) and still give you some fresh water while traveling - toilet/washing hands.

On Edit~ Bert, I'm still looking for my left rear sticker on cargo cap on my 2002 2500HD ext cab. Sorry I missed your earlier posts on this. I have my weight ratings and tire press/size sticker on my frt left door, but that the only sticker I can find. Is it not on a door post?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #65
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

On Edit~ Bert, I'm still looking for my left rear sticker on cargo cap on my 2002 2500HD ext cab. Sorry I missed your earlier posts on this. I have my weight ratings and tire press/size sticker on my frt left door, but that the only sticker I can find. Is it not on a door post?
Your truck's too old, Dave, the feds mandated those stickers starting in model year 2005.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #66
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great! Probably could call my dealership tomorrow, give the VIN # and have them track this number down for me. I really think it's valuable info to have on your vehicle. Bert, I take it that the cargo capacity takes into account the weight including the 10 qts of oil and the other coolants, and not including fuel, right?

Then one also must remember the Rhino Liner in their full size bed, air bags, hitch, running boards, and ALL add-ons. I imagine that stuff adds up before one evens steps one foot into the vehicle.

I always try to have the utmost respect for my weight (not me personally - yeah, I know I need to diet...). I love my GMC 2500HD D/A, but I am very concerned about the weight capacities. My last CAT scale was 21,240 - truck/gear/occupants/5ver loaded. I try to keep things in perspective. I am controlling over 10 1/2 tons of metal/plastic/fiberglass/glass/water/etc down the road at highway speeds (I stay at 62-63 religiously on the Interstates). I don't care how good my brakes are, I always try to stay just a little scared of that...

Looking at upgrading...
Old 07-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #67
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, I'm not sure how it works on your GM. It's not the same for all mfrs. I think on my Dodge, if I remember correctly, they have already deducted for a driver. I can't remember if that was 150 or 200 lbs. I think the Ford, on the other hand, already deducted for driver and 1 passenger. If memory serves, that was 200 lbs each. Don't take this as gospel, I'm trying to do it from memory.

I am not sure about fuel but I think full tanks has already been deducted. I could be wrong.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #68
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve! I know I saw that info somewhere about passengers. Can't remember what it specifically said though. I'll call my dealer in the AM and see what they say.

My axle ratings are 4670/6084 (frt/rr). My 2500 had a sticker wt (before Michigan deleted them off of their State registration certificates) of ~6,250. GVWR, of course is 9,200. That would make my cargo cap at 2,950 #. However, the question of passengers/fuel looms quite big, as you are talking several hundred pounds, then.