Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
Howdy from Kansas!

My wife and I just purchased our very first 'rig' of any sort (unless you count the 91 Bluebird school bus with no plumbing).

We went with the 3791RD as we like the floor plan and massive and multiple basement storage.

We have always tent camped and have no experience with maintaining a 5th wheel. But we're jumping in neck deep and plan to live full-time starting Apr 1 when the nearest lake turns on their water supply.

We're having an estate sale and putting the house on the market and are looking forward to being rid of a house full of junk we don't need or use.

I am certain I will have many questions but would like to start with this one...

how do you change a tire on the fifth wheel on the road? what tools do you use? bottle jack, floor jack, jack from tow vehicle? special RV jack?

thanks!

KIEHLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome back from Kansas. We have two RV home bases (sets of two sheds and full hooku). One is at The Ranch, an Excapee Park in Lakewood, NM and the other is in Wilsey, Ks. When I change a tire I use my Level-up to raise the side in question and then go for it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Welcome back from Kansas. We have two RV home bases (sets of two sheds and full hooku). One is at The Ranch, an Excapee Park in Lakewood, NM and the other is in Wilsey, Ks. When I change a tire I use my Level-up to raise the side in question and then go for it.
dang...didn't even consider the jacks conveniently located on the 5th wheel..doh!

thanks!
Old 03-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually Lippert advises against it, but many of us have done it numerous times. My feeling is that liability issues in today's legal envoirnment are the reason for them advising against it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I have used my level up to change tires. Remember to break the nuts loose before jacking it up
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Welcome to the MOC. Ask all of your questions here and you will find lots of great info and answers to them all. We also used our level-up system when we had different tires installed on our rig. Right handy option to have!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Welcome to the forum. I carry two 20T bottle jacks for the fiver and the truck
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
Brian b

M.O.C. #19555
Send a message via AIM to Brian b Send a message via MSN to Brian b
What part of Kansas which lake. Wife and I camphosting at eldorado lake first time
Brian b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian b View Post
What part of Kansas which lake. Wife and I camphosting at eldorado lake first time
Harvey Co East Lake to begin with; will very likely make it to El Dorado at some point this season.

which campground are you hosting?
Old 03-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
Brian b

M.O.C. #19555
Loop 3 goose cove
Brian b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You'll find it is a bit "clickish" at Fisherman's Point and Sunflower Meadow as far as RV'ers and particular sites. You'll blend in with the crowd once the season gets going. Despite egos ... it's a pretty nice water hole to camp at.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:29 AM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
First of all Welcome to the MOC Forum! You've found the best place to get answers concerning your Monte. Since you live in KS why not join us in Nebraska for the MOC Central Plains Regional Rally in July at Victorian Acres Camp Ground in Nebraska City coming up this summer. You can find out more info here on the Rally here on the Forum under Area/Regional Camping Clubs. If you can't find it, just email or Private message me and I'll give you all info on it. Again welcome to the Forum and I think you'll enjoy it and also I hope you have great times in your new unit!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:03 AM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Welcome and enjoy this great forum. Like Rondo said above join us at the rally. You will learn a lot about the RV world and your Montana. I also use my level up system to change a tire.
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
Brian b

M.O.C. #19555
Yes we've spent many years as weekend warriors at both we just decided on the host job to try it and see if it is something we would be interested in once we retire. Hope to see and meet you this summer.