Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #41
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by Bama Camper

Sorry to hear the thermostat didn't fix the problem where the unit would not turn back on after it turned off. It was the thermostat in my case.
Are you saying the unit shuts down BECAUSE it is icing? That would make sense if the unit has an "icing sensor".

Check the sheet metal piece between the intake and output side. That has been a problem that causes icing for several folks here (mine included). The sheet metal dam on mine had fallen down in transit. A service tech shot a couple of sheet metal screws in it to hold it up and also sealed the edges with aluminum tape. He said it was a common problem with Dometic units of my vintage. You have to remove the filter door, then unscrew the plastic frame to get to it. Operate the AC and you can see how the intake side is separated from the output side. Look for leaks and wiggle the sheet metal dam up there to see if it is intact.

I will check that in the AM yes has Ice Sensor I have a Dometic Brisk Air ll.....was icing this Am not very hot or humid.keep you posted

kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:32 AM   #42
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Bama I took the cover off the unit today and checked out the divider plate after a conversation with Dometic sending them pictures they in turn sending instalation instructions it was determined the divider plate was not installed property! The foam seal should be firmly against the unit base plate I have a 1/4 inch Gap.The trailer manufacture the divider plate when they mount the AC unit.this unit was replaced under warrinty so I have issues with the dealer when they installed the replacment unit.Dometetic was extreamly helpfull
Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 AM   #43
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by kdeiss

Bama I took the cover off the unit today and checked out the divider plate after a conversation with Dometic sending them pictures they in turn sending instalation instructions it was determined the divider plate was not installed property! The foam seal should be firmly against the unit base plate I have a 1/4 inch Gap.The trailer manufacture installed the divider plate when they mount the AC unit.this unit was replaced under warrinty so I have issues with the dealer when they installed the replacment unit.Dometetic was extreamly helpfull

Correction
Old 08-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #44
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Great! Glad you found the problem. Were you able to fix the divider? That will probably keep it from icing, and therefore keep the icing detector from "locking it out" when it turns off. Your air will be colder also since it doesn't mix with the intake air.

Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #45
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bama Camper

Great! Glad you found the problem. Were you able to fix the divider? That will probably keep it from icing, and therefore keep the icing detector from "locking it out" when it turns off. Your air will be colder also since it doesn't mix with the intake air.
I am going to ask the servicing dealer correct the problem the divider has to move up and insulatated sticky back tape is required.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #46
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Good. Maybe the dealer's service guy will learn something from it. It was good to hear that Dometic was easy to talk to and was helpful.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #47
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:

Good. Maybe the dealer's service guy will learn something from it. It was good to hear that Dometic was easy to talk to and was helpful.
That is exactly what my goal is! He is the owners Nephew and extreamly arrogant.That is why I did my homework so I can tell him this is not installed correctly. Keep you posted
Old 08-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #48
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Funny!! Have fun with that - tell him it's installed incorrectly BEFORE you tell him you talked to Dometic. That'll give him a change to hang himself good!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #49
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I like it. I made some head way with my AC this last few days as well. Installed some bat insulation behind both thermostats, because the holes were huge. I could feel a little draft before I started so I think that is a plus. Used an IR thermometer and check my air in vs air out, was a good 20+ degree difference, almost 30, so its cooling. Next, I removed the duct covers, all looked well, and I didn't have hardly anything extending into the duct, but I did cut some louvers out of the caps, every other one, on 3 of the caps. WOW what a floe difference, and the unit cools down much much faster. Ill leave it at that for now and see how it goes. Oh, also had a rattle when I turned on the front AC, fount a set screw on one of the fans was not holding it secure on the shafte, a quick adjustment and tighten with a HEX wrench, and all is well on that. lets see how it goes on my trip this week.
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:44 AM   #50
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Hi Kozzy,
It might be interesting to see if your every other fin mod is the same as removing the grille completely. In my investigation removing the grille cover makes the system conform to dometic specs. Having the fins blocking the airflow puts it out side specs but your idea might be a good alternative to buying and installing 5 1/4 inch vents instead of the 4 3/4 ones. I averaged 27 degrees temperature drops so ours are very similar in cooling supply to return.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:46 AM   #51
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kozzy

...I did cut some louvers out of the caps, every other one, on 3 of the caps.
I'm interested in modifying my duct covers as well, for the same reasons you listed, and had planned to replace them with the covers others have found from a third party. But, after reading jameswbarton's post about the system specs, I'm was thinking complete removal may be the way to go. But now, after further consideration, I'm wondering if a mix of both might be best. In my bathroom, which has the original duct cover (non-adjustable), I freeze my buns off when the AC is on, but at the same time the main living area is still warm. A problem of distribution with no way currently to adjust it. So, I'm thinking of complete removal of some duct covers, partial removal of the bathroom cover, and more removal of the bedroom cover slats.

A couple of questions for you - jameswbarton, does complete removal of the duct cover make a "cold-spot" directly under the open duct?
kozzy - how did you remove the slats from the cover - Dremel tool? In place?

While I would like to take advantage of a system that works within it's specified range, I would also like to adjust the distribution better. Even though the adjustable covers allow for better adjustment, it sounds like they might still restrict the air flow too much.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:06 AM   #52
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Here ya go this is how I did it
I took mine out turned it upside down then cut the louvers out of the cover with a dremmel cut off wheel then cut out a round piece of larger wire mesh and glued it in there in it's place and painted the mesh white looks good works great ,,WAY better air flow.. ALSO what helps is get some 1-1/2 inch PVC pipe cut them into 6 inch pieces and push them up in the return vents AND the outlets and that helps the flow as well ,Here are my pics of the mod http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/to...remw6.jpg.html
Old 08-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #53
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Nice looking mod, bigsky. Do you have a cold spot underneath the modified ducts? Did you do all the ducts in your camper?
Old 08-24-2016, 05:30 AM   #54
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Hi,
Ours is a pressurized duct system and my understanding is that if we have the correct amount of 14 sq inch free area vents, each vent will output the same cu ft of air. Our 4.750 id vents are about 17.7 sq inches free space with no covers/louvers. The louvers likely cut the vent efficiency by 30%-45%. The specs call for a minimum of 8 ea. up to a maximum of 16 ea.14 sq inch free space vents. With 8 vents and 2 AC each vent should output between 60-80 cuft per minute measured with an air hood. To know how many vents is correct you would need to check the system pressure in the ducting. Our AC's should have a light pressure of .15 inches of water up to .65 inches of water using a AC pressure gauge.

So ideally the cold air should be dispersed as it falls to the floor so a vent that is just a hole will be a cold spot. The vent mentioned earlier do not state their sq inches of free air but wide open have better free space than ours that cannot be seen through at a 90 degree viewing angle. This company rates some f their vents and I have been toying with using their jetport vent or the spaceport vent. http://www.dwincorp.com/products/93/...red-RV-AC-Vent

My distribution on my front living room sounds like yours. Bathroom one vent is always freezing. Hallway outside the bathroom is always hot with no vent. Bedroom is usually at set point of the rear AC and the living room and kitchen are always the hottest. So I was thinking of trying to figure out how to cut in three new vents to add one closer to the hall and two more in the kitchen living area.

If you install too may vents then the pressure will be low and all vents will not have equal airflow out of the vents but if the pressure is too high you system airflow is too low, inefficent and can cause icing of the coils

Mine has been in the shop awaiting parts for weeks so I have not done much with airflow yet. I also posed questions to Dometic but have not yet received answers either. I should not have told Dometic I had a new Montana as they may have more loyalty to Keystone than to answer if Keystone goofed up with too few vents.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:07 AM   #55
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I did mine similar to big sky, I removed them, and used a combination Dremel tool and utility knife. I used the knife in the very edges, seemed to be a cleaner cut, and didn't melt the plastic. I used the dremel for the middle. I have noticed vast improvements in the air flow, I'm about to head out to Darien Lake, there till Sunday, so ill know more after I am using the unit for a few days. Big difference in air flow already though....
Old 08-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #56
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Well, I didn't use the round mesh, I just cut every other louver, guess I should have looked at those pictures first, my bad. I left the one in the bathroom alone, since it is a small room and gets cool enough.
I did 2 in the main living room, and left 2 of them alone, and up in the bedroom, I did one, and left the other alone. Going to start with that....if I can figure out the pictures photo bucket thing, ill post some later, time to hit the road now...
Old 08-24-2016, 06:17 AM   #57
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Good info, good research.

Wow, you've got a bigger set than I do if you are considering cutting into the ceiling to provide more ducts!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jameswbarton

I also posed questions to Dometic but have not yet received answers either. I should not have told Dometic I had a new Montana as they may have more loyalty to Keystone than to answer if Keystone goofed up with too few vents.
On the other hand , Dometic may relish the opportunity to comment on the Keystone AC system design so they won't be the butt of most AC system discussions!
Old 08-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #58
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Every other louver is probably better for no cold spot I do not know if the screen would have much dispersion. The screen wire might just be the perfect answer if it does not create a cold spot like a wide open vent does. Ideally you want the cold air to fall evenly to the floor and all the hottest air to go into the return air vents. That gives you the best efficiency. Have you found out if your floor vents and heater return air grill is leaking air to the basement?
Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #59
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jameswbarton

Have you found out if your floor vents and heater return air grill is leaking air to the basement?
The open slats on the face of the steps to the bedroom were passing A LOT of air into the basement. I painted some luan sheets flat black and sandwiched them between the slats and the step frame to block the air. Looks good - can't tell they are there. This is also the cold air intake path for the furnace, so I though I would have to remove them in the winter, but the furnace floor vents had plenty of air flow so I left them in place last winter. I think there is enough volume, and leaks, in the basement that it didn't matter. Blocking these slats helped in the summer with the AC, AND the winter with the furnace.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #60
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
My feet get cold sitting in the recliner sometimes that is how much better the flow is going down and yea I did Every vent EXCEPT the Bedroom with no Whisper air( but I will ) but if I want it REALLY cool I turn on the Bedroom A/c as well and open the Bedroom door and the Cold air comes rushing down the stairs and by the way it is 96 degrees outside right now
Quote:

Nice looking mod, bigsky. Do you have a cold spot underneath the modified ducts? Did you do all the ducts in your camper?