Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just wondering... If we pulled our STICK HOUSES down the road, across the country, over roads that are really meant to be military obstacle courses, backed into a few trees, did a few panic stops, took a few curves a little too fast, hit a few metal/concrete posts at gas stations, had our house come off the hitch onto our bed rails, do a few "test pulls" a week on the hitch.... and even if WE went out and bought OUR choice of the best appliances that we could possibly buy...

I wonder how long it it be before they all broke, too?

*On Edit~ Sorry, I forgot... none of us do any of the above. That was the OTHER forum. OK, forget I said anything...

*On 2nd Edit~ I do agree that Montana needs to make sure they have somewhat quality appliances installed in our units, just trying to get my first coffee of the day drunk...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #22
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
Gypsy-
Thanks for posting the contact information. I finally got through today and the nylon part and instructions are on the way. Since you are a few weeks ahead of me on this project could you report back on the actual installation? Was it easy? Did you do it yourself? Could you give me some hints on the installation? Was the fix successful?
Thanks for all your help.
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #23
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
The new part was shipped promptly and the only problem was that they failed to enclose instructions for re-assembly that were promised. A friend helped me install it. Good thing - he's taller and stronger than I am, and it helps to have an extra set of hands.

To disassemble, we just kept taking out screws till we had the fan off and the outside casing off. Even took off the door but that wasn't necessary. Be sure to remember the sequence of taking things off and keep the correct screws with each part - they're different sizes and types. Two screws require a special driver with a hole in the middle. (Not sure what this is called - the outside is a star shape. Can you tell I'm not a tool expert? )

Once you have the whole thing disassembled, you'll see the bracket where the nylon part connects behind the latch button by looking through the side. It's a little tricky to get the new piece on because of the shape. We had to slightly bend a metal piece in the middle of the plate behind the latch to clear a protruding piece in the middle of the nylon part. Then, after installing the part, reach in with a flat blade screwdriver to bend the metal piece back in place. That keeps the part from moving sideways. This will (hopefully) make sense when you try the 'operation.' We found it helped to spray a little silicone on the latch release inside where the new part activates opening the door, and also on the edges of the external button to make sure everything moves smoothly without sticking or hanging up.

Now that everything's back together, it works great. It's nice to have the oven back in working order, but I've lost a very good excuse for not cooking.

Good luck!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #24
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Good job Sharon. Now I know who to call if we have problems. Seriously fellows, in two more days we will have been full timing one year. The odometer on the truck just passed the 30,000 mark. The tana has been has been with us almost all of the time (check our blog if you don't believe us) and we have come over hell and high water. The Montana has performed like a trooper. Just wait until I tell all about it on our first anniversery. That is a lot more than I can say about some of the rv's we have heard about along the way. Some of them cost upward of $300,000. All I can say is Thank you Keystone.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:19 PM   #25
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Helen and Bill - Congratulations on your one year FT anniversary! You're very adventuresome and I greatly admire your courage and ability to report your travels with such insight and acuity. I've enjoyed your blog tremendously, and you've inspired me to start writing my own. If only I can find time...
Old 06-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #26
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Sharon, we just finished having dinner with some nice friends of yours and now ours too. We first met Connie and Dave in Whitehorse. Connie was sick so we didn't get a chance to spend time with her. We changed all that tonight. Of course we talked about you. Had a great night way up north in Fairbanks. Isn't it a wonderful small world?
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:57 AM   #27
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Helen - Yes, what a small world it is! Connie and Dave are fun people, and I love it when our paths cross. That goes for you and Bill, too! Enjoy Fairbanks - it's a great place.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:18 AM   #28
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I just called the company and they said they re-engineered the part and can only send out as people call in. So I doubt they will recall it. I cant remember if I mailed a registration card in on this when we purchased the unit.
Thanks Sharon (Gypsy) for the phone number.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #29
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
Being "tool challenged" myself, installation of the plastic door latch was a challenge. In reviewing Gypsy's directions, I can only add that the star shaped screws (2) in the back were the most difficult to remove. One I ended up taking the hack saw to, and the other finally unscrewed using a pliers on the edge of the screw head. Thanks to Gypsy I knew I didn't have to remove the door. I don't know when Apollo switched from plastic to nylon to resolve this problem, but as a point of reference my trailer was manufactured April of 2004 and still had the white plastic part that failed inside the oven.
Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:48 AM   #30
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
The strange heads on those screws can be removed with a hexagonal bit from most hardware stores, or Sears. They are most often used on the drivers that hold several different sized bits, (much like the ones that are supplied with some battery-powered drill-drivers,) and can often be bought individually. I suggest that one should run a pencil lead over a piece of paper that's covering the head of the screw to make sure you can show the store clerk the requisite size. I haven't bought any, myself, but have seen them in those sets of tool bits that can be seen in stores.

I think they're supposed to try to make it so that only "factory-certified" help can take the case off a device. And, like so many things designed to "deter theft," you can see how easily the whole idea can be defeated.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #31
pasha26287
Established Member

M.O.C. #5815
Send a message via AIM to pasha26287 Send a message via Yahoo to pasha26287
Yes the 1/2 time oven sucks. Brand new used it once and door would not close. The seal was hanging out and hubby tried to push it back in and it broke. The dealer is suppose to have replacement or seal for it when we get there next week. Really dissappointed in it. Looks like a the quality is not in the oven. Anyway we will let you know the outcome.
Bill and Marge Scwhinn (Newbees)
pasha26287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You must know that 1/2 time oven means it only works 1/2 of the time..the other half you can't get the door open. We have the part..no time to install it..hope it holds up for our trip.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #33
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have not had any trouble with our 1/2 time oven. It works all the time. While we use mostly for microwave, we do use the convection quite a bit also. We lived in the unit for 9 months in the beginning so it got daily use. We just returned from a 6 weeks trip and no problem with anything except the toilet. We will replace that soon.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
How many people are using the 1/2 time anyway? Bob (Firetrucker) posted his replacement of a Panasonic 1.2 microwave (no convection, I take it). Do you MOCers use that "convection" half that much, or is that something that most don't really use? Trying to decide if I'm going to need a covection with my regular gas stove/oven... Otherwise, I'll just plan on following Bob's lead and just order a full time microwave to replace, so I don't have any problems down the road.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #35
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
I use l/2 time oven a lot -- the gas oven can really heat up Monty quite quickly. And also, I am not entirely confortable using the gas oven --- just a personal "quirk" I guess. Haven't used the convection oven at all but sure would not like to be without my l/2 time oven or my microwave oven -- both are used constantly.

Julie
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #36
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
The 1/2-tome oven is really great. We use ours all the time, and have never even lit the pilot light on the gas oven. The microwave part of our oven only works when it feels like it, which isn't very often.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:13 AM   #37
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
My DW does most of the cooking and she dearly loves the 1/2 time oven part of the microwave. Think that the gas oven has only been on one time....to make sure that it worked.

There has not been a problem with the door latch. However we did have to make repairs to the microwave as she left a cup of coffee inside on the last trip out. You guessed it, the cup turned over, coffee ran into the motor that drives the turn table and shorted out. An expensive cup of coffee to say the least but it is repaired and ready to go. She hated to think that we would have to replace the microwave. This is the only microwave that we have ever seen with all three options for cooking.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:56 AM   #38
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Dsprik, Why would you replace the 1/2 time oven before you even used it? We have not had a problem with ours. Like Richfaa, we are going to order the part and if we need to, we will install it or maybe install it before we need it. By the way, the 1/2 time oven is really great. Instead of standing on your head to light the regular oven and also heating up the trailer, we use the 1/2 oven. It really does a great job of baking and in half the time!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:01 AM   #39
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Another vote for the half time oven. Donna wishes we could get one for the house, ...and we have a good Panasonic inverter model in the house.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:06 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were thinking of not even getting the oven..You can order without it and storage space were the oven is..I think we used the ovens in our last 3 campers maybe 5 times.We always carried a toster oven with us so the 1/2 time oven eleminates a appliance.And.although some have broken it seems like the majority have not..we still got the replacement part..just in case.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote