Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Camping in Canada?

What are the differences in camping in Canada, such as in the area of Banff?

Electric/sewer/water hook ups different?

How about crossing the US/Canadian border with a Montana?

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We were in Banff last July at the Tunnel Mountain RV park. At this very minute we are in Ontario at the Fifty Point Conservation Area.

If I understand your question: there are no differences in the electric, sewer, or water hook ups related to the fact that you are in Canada. Just as in the US you have to be aware that each campground may be somewhat different.

When we crossed over into Canada yesterday we were asked only two questions: "Do you have any guns? in here or in the trailer?" and "Where are you going in Canada?" With our honest anwers we were waved on through and welcomed to Canada. Basically the same thing at Sweet Grass Montana last year, except that Mace and bear spray were added as some other such items related to the question about guns.

I don't think of anything at all that could be specific to the Montana. Now I must say that the border agent has full descretion and could conduct a search if he or she decided. We have always been prepared for that, but it has never happened. Also dog in the back seat--never have been asked about the dog. Again, we are prepared with all the certificates.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
Originally Posted by padredw View Post
We were in Banff last July at the Tunnel Mountain RV park. At this very minute we are in Ontario at the Fifty Point Conservation Area.

If I understand your question: there are no differences in the electric, sewer, or water hook ups related to the fact that you are in Canada. Just as in the US you have to be aware that each campground may be somewhat different.

When we crossed over into Canada yesterday we were asked only two questions: "Do you have any guns? in here or in the trailer?" and "Where are you going in Canada?" With our honest anwers we were waved on through and welcomed to Canada. Basically the same thing at Sweet Grass Montana last year, except that Mace and bear spray were added as some other such items related to the question about guns.

I don't think of anything at all that could be specific to the Montana. Now I must say that the border agent has full descretion and could conduct a search if he or she decided. We have always been prepared for that, but it has never happened. Also dog in the back seat--never have been asked about the dog. Again, we are prepared with all the certificates.

That is the Park I was looking at. Tunnel Mountain. Thank you so much for your response.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We have found some places in Canada that have very high water pressure, like close to 100 psi, so a water regulator is a must.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Since I know that you are going to Tunnel Mountain I will add a couple of comments. Only Tunnel Mountain TRAILER PARK has full hook ups. Be sure you reserve in this one IF you need hook up.

One other note: early reservation is absolutely necessary. I reserved early and got a site on the outside high up on the hill which I found desirable.

In fact, we had to move down to Tunnel Mountain Village II which is adjacent to the Trailer Park, but is just a large paved parking lot with water and electric (if my memory is correct)--much less desirable "camping" arrangement.

Even in the "Trailer Park" the sites are lined up, as in parallel parking. Not as bad as we thought and there was plenty or space.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Just remember that they can ask any questions on your way into Canada. Do you have any guns, bear spray, mace are you a fugitive or have you ever had a DWI etc. usually our great neighbors to the North are willing to forgive any wrongdoing in your past so long as you have a VISA or MASTERCARD. YOU CAN ALWAYS BUY YOUR WAY TO BEING A GREAT CITIZEN IN Canada's eyes. Just make sure it is payable to the queen/crown.

Oh by the way I had a choice on being Canadian or American citizen. Half my cousins now live down here. U

Just so you don't think I am trashing Canada we took our family up to Vancouver area, stayed in an RV park in Burnaby and had a great time. Enjoyed Lions Gate bridge and the Sea world along with a ferry ride to the north end of the lake and an old steam train ride back to the south end. Just saying if you actually go through the legal border you can expect anywhere from an easy crossing to a long delayed experience.

My mother was a Canadian citizen and back in the seventies it was basically a smile and a wave to cross the border. It is not the same now.

Tom Marty
Old 06-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Another good site in the area is about 10-15 miles south of JAsper. I think it is called Whistler CG. FHU and I think tall trees, but might be thinking of the Tunnel CGs.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:47 AM   #8
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Eight years ago we entered Canada at Port Huron, Michigan. We had another camper traveling with us. Both of us were pulled over on the side for search. They searched 5th wheel for about a hour and we couldn't enter to watch. We had baking powder all over the floor when we did get inside. We had nothing as we were well aware of what not to take into Canada.

Besides guns and drugs no firewood,alcohol and no fruit. The fruit may be lifted now as the fruit fly problem is gone.

We came back into the states at Maine with no problem.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:24 AM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
In a past life my wife and I were cavers. We had some friends who over spring break were caving in Mexico. This was when carbide lamps were still the way to go. Well spent carbide is actually considers hazardous waste and should be disposed of properly and not just dumped anywhere. Well these cavers had their spent carbide in ziplock bags. It is a grayish white power. Well after being in Mexico for 2 weeks primitive camping and no showers, they looked pretty scruffy. That got them a full inspection at the border. The Border Patrol agent found the spent carbide and asked them what it was. They told him. He then wet his little finger and stuck it in the bag. They told him he should not do that. That just encouraged the agent even more.

Needless to say they got the last laugh and were allowed to proceed. Some times the overboard inspections do backfire.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
As Canadians you will find no real difference when it comes to your campground services but because our summers are quite short compared to our southern neighbors you will find a lot of summer traffic during July and August.
Those are the peak months of our good camping weather and we would suggest that you have reservations during that period.
Seems everybody is buying campers these days but the campgrounds up here are not expanding fast enough to accomodate the masses.
As frequent border crossers to the US we find it a lot easier to cross back to Canada with far less chance of a search and delays.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
Travelin’ Gran
Established Member

M.O.C. #22014
You may know this already but,
1. Bring your passport if you have one. It’s simpler, faster and easier to get through the border.
2.if you have them, leave your guns and annumintion at home. You shouldn’t need them up here. Also your medical marijuana. The border doesn’t recognize your US rights to carry. Canada is similar, but it’s still a different country with different laws.
3.staying in any national park requires a park pass. If there is no one at the gate of the park, look for the park office to obtain one.
4.book early. You can enjoy traveling fairly easily from mid April to mid-Oct but we Canadians love our outdoors. Look for reservations at least 2 days before you want to visit a location.
5.dont be afraid to head north. Long days and beautiful country are everywhere.

6. Here’s a link for one of the Tunnel mountain campgrounds. There’s a lot more to Canada than Toronto, Banff, Jasper and the Calgary stampede. Lol Enjoy!

7.watch out for our half ton drivers. They’re always in a hurry, looking for their next speeding ticket. People seem to hate being behind any RV

8.our speed and distance is in kilometres per hour, so know your conversions. Your $ is about $1.30here this summer, but I’d covert it at an ATM as each business sets its own conversion rate, and some places will give you par, so you lose your advantage

Take your time and enjoy your visit, and welcome to Canada. Check the border link before you come, as restrictions can change if outbreaks or problems occur.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
https://g.co/kgs/Pz8Jgg
Travelin’ Gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good information above. We use our credit cards when in Canada or draw $$ from a ATM.

We are near enough to Canada (northern Ohio) so we can pick up Canadian $$ at that
days rate. We usually have Canada $$ laying around. Yes Loonies and a toonies are real money.Fuel is priced in liters so do not think it is inexpensive .Do the conversion liter's to gallons. When the speed limit sign says 90 it is Kilometers per hour know the conversion. 90 KPH is about 56 MPH.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:00 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You will enjoy both Banff and Jasper. Here is a picture off a double rainbow from our site in the Banff Tunnel Mountain FHU park.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6290140.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1875

My Profile picture (below was taken at Whistler campground outside Jasper.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #14
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
One More from Captain Obvious: Know your height, width, and weight in metric units, and post them on the dashboard.
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:47 AM   #15
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We are in Canada trave!ng to Winnipeg from thousand island area. We have found lots of campgrounds have just 30 amp service
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:40 AM   #16
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
One more thing: When we were in the Atlantic Provinces 2 years ago, we thought we could get 'cash back' on grocery purchases and did not stock up on the Canadian money that we would need for pocket money. We planned to pay for most things with our credit and debit cards. We found that in Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia, the merchants never heard of 'cash back' and the credit card machines at the register do not offer the opportunity to request cash as part of the transaction. We also paid a 3% foreign currency conversion fee on our credit card bill, which we knew about ahead of time.
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:16 AM   #17
Travelin’ Gran
Established Member

M.O.C. #22014
Ah the joys of cross border banking. The 3% is the credit card companies getting their chunk of money. You likely don’t want cash back on a credit card purchase as you start paying interest the day you use the money. In Canada, we have debit cards attached to our bank accounts that allow cash back. My debt card for my USA bank account says VISA on it, which would make our merchants use it as a credit card. Best to just find ATM and Get cash at current day’s exchange, or, if going longer term or frequent visitor, get a bank account at a major Canadian bank. Our banks and ATM work nation wide as well as world wide with a fee. You need good ID like a passport to open an account. Our Big 4 banks are RBC, TD, CIBC and Bank of Montreal. Most also offer some form of USA banking as well. Happy trails!
Travelin’ Gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #18
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I got charged the 3% foreign transaction fee one time in the late seventies. Raised enough cane they took it off. We carry two credit cards now and insured before they were issued no foreign transaction fees. I know that was very common in the late seventies and was just a way for credit card companies to make more money. I thought as people got wise to it and complained it became less common. Curious how many credit cards still charge it?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #19
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkelpe View Post
We are in Canada trave!ng to Winnipeg from thousand island area. We have found lots of campgrounds have just 30 amp service
Generally not an issue as it is cooler up there.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #20
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by padredw View Post
Since I know that you are going to Tunnel Mountain I will add a couple of comments. Only Tunnel Mountain TRAILER PARK has full hook ups. Be sure you reserve in this one IF you need hook up.

One other note: early reservation is absolutely necessary. I reserved early and got a site on the outside high up on the hill which I found desirable.

In fact, we had to move down to Tunnel Mountain Village II which is adjacent to the Trailer Park, but is just a large paved parking lot with water and electric (if my memory is correct)--much less desirable "camping" arrangement.

Even in the "Trailer Park" the sites are lined up, as in parallel parking. Not as bad as we thought and there was plenty or space.
We have a reservation for three nights at a Tunnel Mountain 2 in a week and a half. We are retired and use the Monty for travel and snowbirding, so we are not into “camping”. We don’t like a lot of trees as they sometimes jump out and damage the trailer. We are also not into campfires because we don’t like smoke smell getting into the trailer.

So a parking lot with water and electric suits us fine. I realize families especially are more into “camping”. To each their own.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote