Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2006, 02:50 PM   #21
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
David,

I admire you, that's quite a job and a scarey one at that. Now I have no reason to tell Annette I shouldn't do it if you're out there doing it!! It really does look great afterwards though and well worth the time.

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:36 AM   #22
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I tried Dawn on my roof earlier this year. I thought it was clean till I used some of the Rubber Roof cleaner from Wally World. I think it is Full Timers Choice. Sprayed it on from the bottle and hit it with a mild brush. The roof was cleaner and whiter that when the Monty was new!

I then put on a good coat of 303 UV protectant. This is what I will do in the Spring again.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #23
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Me thinks I need to comment. I attended the Dicor presentation at the Rally in Goshen and listened very carefully to the people who make and distribute the rubber roofing material for most of the RV's in the industry. Now the gentleman that was describing how the roofing material was made said that the composition of the roofing material was somewhat different than the rubber compounds used in tires and was not subject to the UV deteration as found in tires. Keep it pearly white in his opinion was a little waste of energy and I quote from my notes "how many of you have white roofs on your stick house? Then why do you think it is important that the roof of the RV be paper white?" He said and the warranty lady repeated - the important thing with the roofs is just to scub with mild dishwashing liquid with soft to medium bristle brush to remove any dirt or grim stuck to the roof. UV protectant they said had a base to it that actually attracted dirt to stick to the roof. Just give it a good wash down 3 to 4 times a year and don't worry about it. Other than to check the caulking around vents, A/C's and stuff sticking through the roof. Most generally this is where problems occur such as leaks.
I also made a note of comments they made that harsh cleaning chemicals actually do more harm to the rubber than good. If you have questions about cleaning your roof, why not call the warranty lady at Dicor - she will be glad to provide you with info the same as presented at the rally.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #24
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Well written "Beep Beep". BTW, thats my favorite bird too, for pretty much the same reasons, and it is our State Bird. Favorite cartoon also.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:26 PM   #25
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I'm big on the Thetford products also. I do a lot of exterior trailer cleaning jobs up at the campground I'm a seasonal at, and use a LOT of cleaning products. I really like the Thetford Black Streak Remover...especially on fiberglass. And the Awning Cleaner they have is also really good. I like the way it smells too...LOL Speaking of petroleum products on the rubber roof...I had a problem last fall with a HUGE bee hive at the top of one of my slideouts on the old trailer. I have a MAJOR allergy to wasps and the like, so I waited until dusk, then headed up there with a can of Raid Wasp and Hornet killer. Used the whole darned can on those suckers!! I went up there in the morning to clean up...and the whole area of rubber roof that came into contact with the wasp spray had bubbled and seperated from the trailer!! I was pretty livid about that!! It never even dawned on me to read the can label for any petroleum ingredients...so beware!! that stuff will mess up your rubber roof before you can blink an eye. Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote