Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Washer/Dryer

I was so happy that our Monty had the washer & dryer hookup....I though it was a boon to our purchase. Little did I realize that it is set up for a 110 washer/dryer. Can't do both at once! Thus my question. Has any one put in a "regular" washer/dryer? Is it possible? If so, how? Just love the Monty, but would love it better if I could wash & dry clothes the normal way. I usually wait about 2 weeks then go to the laundry mat.

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
We use a Splendide washer dryer combo that is ventless. Put in the dirty clothes take out the clean dry ones. It uses water to condense the moisture during the dry cycle. It takes a little longer than the vented one but at least we don't have another hole in the side of the trailer. You can buy the Majestic stacking units and wash and dry at the same time. CW carries and installs them.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
John & Marianne,
We too, have the ventless washer/dryer combo. We didn't have space for a separate washer/dryer as I had to create a space for it in the Mountaineer. However, there are lots of folks here who have a separate washer/dryer which they use simultaneously and I'm sure they'll be along to share the details soon.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:10 AM   #4
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
I have the Majestic Stackable units (vented dryer)that came with the Monty when I bought it and have washed and dried using them a few times. You definitely CAN"T wash like you do at home or the laundromat in that loads are smaller and it takes longer..nearly an hour to wash and an hour to dry, depending on cycle and material. The "cleaning" is good, but when using the dryer, don't overload as clothes come out very wrinkled. My experience is that one load is for: queen-sized sheets and pillow-cases; 3 Levis; 4-6 shirts, 4-6 large bath towels, etc.
There is definitely the convenience factor and maybe as I use them more I'll get better at figuring out quantity/weight of items I wash. Haven't had problem running washer/dryer at the same time. I have heard that some have installed "apartment-style" units, but make sure to measure space and allow for sufficient room for the units to fit and be able to close the door and allow for proper ventilation, especially when using the dryer. In this regard, I have to prop open the closet door because no louvers were installed in the door when the units were installed. I may make this modification in the future.
Hope this helps.

Just added a link to show you what my setup looks like.

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=55mryp

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We have just decided to make the adjustments. We, too can do either the washer or the dryer. In addition we have a toggle switch to choose between the second A/C or the washer/dryer. Until I discovered that, I thought my A/C was not working. This could probably be reworked to allow simultanious usage, but it hasn't risen to a sufficient priority level to elicit action.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Syplace, does the new 3295RK have room for a stack, individual washer and dryer? Ours is 110 and we can run both the washer and the dryer at the same time. No problem, even when we're connected to 30 amp service. Ours is essentially an apartment set, made by Whirlpool. The name is Conservator by Crosley and says it's made by whirlpool. Any authorized Whirlpool repair facility can work on them. We couldn't be happier with them. They've performed flawlessly for almost three years. Our dealer installed them before delivery of the Montana. You can see what they look like by clicking on the Our RV Travels link in my signature, then click on Our Home.

Model info if you want to check it out --

washer: crosley by whirlpool, Unit says Conervator by Crosley. Sticker says "Crosley". model=CEDC3925JQ0
dryer: crosley by whirlpool. unit says Conservator by Crosley. Sticker says "Crosley". model=CAWC529JQ0

I know Kenmore is an excellent brand, too, but some folks have reported theirs came with a switch to run either the washer or the dryer, not both at the same time. Something to check out if you want to go with the Kenmore brand. I don't know if that's an option or can be bypassed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Here's a link to a photo of what the W/D combo looks like in my closet. I added it to the previous post as well.

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=55mryp

Bruce
Old 05-18-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Well isn't that nice. At least you all have your washer/dryers. We ordered ours with our Montana in Feburary along with the generator, both were to be installed at the factory. The generator was, the Majestic W/D wasn't. We were never told this till after we went to pick the Montana up. They assured us that it would be there and ready to install in a week. Here it is the middle of May and we still haven't gotten it. We went to the dealer to face them as to what is going on with the W/D. They said that they can't get them shipped from over seas. Why ?????? No one has the answer. They say that they can put in the Whirlpool W/D but that isn't what I ordered or paid for. The Majestic is considerably more expensive. Now I have asked Camping World if they have them in stock and they said yes they did. So we have already paid for the W/D and I am afraid that if we go ahead and purchase the units from Camping World I won't get my money back from Mike Thompsons.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Have you asked Mike Thompson if another MT lot have the units. They have at least three different dealerships that sell RVs and trailers/5th wheels. OR, maybe they'll work out a deal w/CW to supply the units, either as a purchase or swap, when they get the back ordered units in? Have you contacted Keystone as well? If they were the ones that were supposed to have installed them and didn't, they may be able to "push" MT a little. Just some random thoughts.

Good luck,
Bruce
Old 05-18-2005, 03:42 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kathi, I'm not sure I understand. Unless it has changed, Keystone does not install or sell the washer/dryers. The dealer does that. Keystone does the washer/dryer prep, though. So is your dealer leading you to believe it's Keystone's fault? Like I said, unless it has changed this is a dealer option to order and install, except for the prep. Someone correct me if this has recently changed.

Same story with the generator. Keystone does the prep but does not sell nor install the generator. The dealer does that, including ordering.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:28 PM   #11
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Many thanks to all for such good ideas.

Sreigle....saw your pictures, they area great. We have the exact same unit design. Prep for washer/dryer was put in by Keystone. I see your dryer is flush w/ceiling. Our elec. outlet is in ceiling. Also, I was under the impression when on 110 yes the dryer will run, but will not heat to dry if the washer is also on? The unit I saw was all one piece. It looks like yours are in 2 separate units.
Like what you did w/the dining room table.
I don't know how to add a picture to my messages, would like to show everyone the stainglass window I bought for the front door. Couldn't stand that bathroom frosted glass!
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:02 AM   #12
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Steve/Kathie: It is my understanding that the dealer is the one that installs the W/D, at least that is what happened with my units. That's why I suggested you ask MT to get the W/D units from another of their dealerships. By all means, DON'T SETTLE for the Whirlpool if that is NOT what you want!!

Bruce
Old 05-19-2005, 12:16 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Syplace, they are separate units mounted in the rack that is available for them. They operate totally separately. You can wash and dry at the same time and the dryer does heat, regardless of whether the washer is running. We regularly connect to 30 amp and both can run at the same time. They are available from any whirlpool dealer (I think they are apt models) and can be serviced by any whirlpool service center.

Also, here's some info I saved about how to post a picture --

First you have to have the photo out on the internet somewhere, not on your personal pc. If you don't have a place to put a picture, I'd recommend www.tinypic.com . You can place pictures there for free. The picture cannot be more than 250k in size or they will automatically trim it down.

At tinypic, use the Browse button to find the picture on your pc. Then click the 'Host It' button. When the page comes back, scroll down and you'll see several boxes with urls in them. For posting here, click in the box for the one with the IMG tags on each end. Those tags are important for displaying a picture here.

After clicking in that box the url should be highlighted. Hold the ctrl key and press the 'c' key to copy the url. Sorry if too elementary, it's hard to tell level of knowledge from a post.

Then in your post, just paste (ctrl v) the url in your post. You can then click the Preview Reply button if you want to see what your post will look like before you submit it. When done, close the preview window and click the Submit Reply button.

I'd recommend your picture pasted into a post be no more than about 640x480 or thereabouts in size. You can tell the size by rightclicking and selecting properties (works that way on mine, anyhow). If you need to resize the picture and don't have software to do that, Irfanview is free at www.irfanview.com . This is what I usually use. After resizing I also do File/Save AS (rather than file/save or the save button). There I can tell it to save at 65% quality. That significantly reduces the size of the file itself so it will load faster for those on a slow connection (much appreciated if you'd do this).

It's a lot easier than it sounds.

If you want the picture to be part of your signature, go to your profile and paste that same url, with img tags, in the signature box.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:14 PM   #14
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
My husband fixed our stack Kenmore so we can wash and dry at same time. If anyone is interested in how he did it I have the instructions. He put a plug in basement area by running a new circuit, that wasn't being used, from the power panel. He had to add another heavy cord and 3 pronged plug onto the washer, (this set shared one cord and plug).
The directions should be in technical section under the thread called (how my DH fixed it}Or you can email me at MsLilYelloPorsch@aol.com. I can send the directions. You are welcome to ask him any questions and he will try to help.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:04 PM   #15
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Just got back from Quartzsite...BOY, was it HOT (upwards of 106F), and it'll get hotter as the summer goes by (120F+)

Anyway, I ran the washer, dryer and both ACs (15,000BTUs each) and didn't have any problems. Of course I have 50 amp service, but it seems that whichever way mine is wired, it can handle the load. WHOOO, WHOOO!

The only problem I had was the "stock" (the Dometic) AC would accumulate ice and the cooling effeciency went into the dumper. Had to turn it off so it would thaw out then restart. Talked to a service tech and he suggested placing damp/moist towels around the trailer to increase humidity which will make ACs more efficient and not "freeze up". I think I'll look into getting a humidifier instead...Don't like the idea of "laundry" hanging inside my Monty... wouldn't look too classy for guests (that "white trailer-trash" thing!)

Bruce
Old 06-05-2005, 02:07 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bruce, were you running the AC fan on high or low? the DuoTherm has a tendency to freeze up when the fan runs on low speed. At least all we've had were that way.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #17
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Steve: I kept both ACs on high. I had read in other posts here about the freezing problem, so made sure they were on high. Still had the freezing problem. Now that I think about it, had a "little" problem with the new one (a Coleman), but not nearly as bad as the Dometic. Supposedly by increasing humidity inside the trailer, it lessens the chance of that happening and the ACs don't have to work as hard and it "feels" cooler. I'm going to post a new subject about this and see what kind of response we get. Glad to hear that Keystone took care of your problems. Where are you off to now?

Bruce
Old 06-06-2005, 06:06 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Bruce. I guess we've not had the humidity problem because most of the hot areas we are in are also, ugh, high humidity.

We arrived yesterday in Independence, MO, near our kids and grandkids. So we'll be here a month, then off to Hungry Horse, MT, to spend a month in Glacier National Park. Then a month near Yellowstone immediately following.