Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2005, 01:09 AM   #1
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Electric Fireplace

Has anyone gone out and bought an electric fireplace and installed it themselves? I know they just plug in to a 115 outlet, but what about any trim?

DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:22 AM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Yes. Someone on the Forum did just that. If you haven't done a search then try that first. Perhaps someone who has done it will chance along and tell you all about it. It wasn't all that long ago that I remember reading about it. Good luck.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:28 AM   #3
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
Our fireplace just arrived the other day!
It is in the living room of our stick (actually block) home and I am about to install it. We like it so much we plan to use it both in the RV and home.
I will install it at floor level under the computer table, which is under the TV.
Two doors will be taken off and will have to cut open the space about 3-4" in width (this space is empty). Will plug into outlet in computer space which we have already converted into a pantry.
Will take some pictures as the project moves along.
It far exceeds our expectation as to how real it looks!

The Model we have is a Dimplex DF12309 $299
Dimplex 23" Electric Fireplace Insert

phone number to order 1-800-555-0564
www.electricfireplace.com

Hope this helps you out.
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:27 AM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Wow! I cant wait to see the pics! I have been wondering about this also. We have the 2955RL but I didnt know if there would be one small enough for this space under our computer desk...
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:01 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DCP

Has anyone gone out and bought an electric fireplace and installed it themselves? I know they just plug in to a 115 outlet, but what about any trim?
We have an '05 3670 with the factory installed fireplace. It has oak trim with a little mantle over it. I suspect that the real reason for this is that the mantle serves to deflect the heat from the fireplace away from the TV that is mounted just above it. I think the oak trim is a Keystone addidtion. If so, and if you want it, you may be able to order it through a dealer, no doubt for many $$$. Remember that when it is on, it draws almost the full amps of any given circuit, so be careful what circuit you choose to use. Ours is on the microwave circuit with a change-over switch. This means that the microwave loses its time setting every time you switch to the fireplace, but that is not a big deal really, we just leave the microwave time unset. The MW works fine and the time does not flash.

I know we paid a big premium to have our fireplace factory installed, but the overall appearance is very much in keeping with the rest of the trailer.

As a matter of curiosity, when we visited friends in Alabama, we found that they had the same fireplace in their stick home, but with brass/metal trim. Also found out that they are actually made in Cambridge, Ontario - not far from where we live.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I bought the same model as Dave & Dixe.I installed it also under the TV.Where the computer desk USE to be.Drilled 2 holes in the bottom of the fire place,ten bolted it to secure it to the bottom shelf.Fits perfect.Easy install also.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We also have the Dimplex fireplace. We have the 3295RK Montana. Bought a new 2004. Had the dealer install the fireplace before we got it. I wanted the brass trim instead of the wood mantel. Don't know where they found the brass trim, but happy they found it. No heat gets on the TV and it is under the TV.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #8
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Just a note to the owners of the 2995 that want the electric fireplace,if you have an outside shower it is located behind the left panel of the computer desk,thus you cannot widen that space to the left very much,we got ours from lowes, same model df12309 and it was only 99.00 ,they carry this model if you can find one it will be a clearance item now.Had our cabinet shop where I work make some nice oak trim to hide where I had to widen the space,looks ver nice and heats great,also dedicated the computer outlet so it is on its own circuit breaker.Not hard to do, just watch that outside shower.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:56 PM   #9
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
03 has the same Canadian made fireplace... no oak mantle, no half oak spindle side rails. I think the whole fire place is a bit larger then the 04 / 05 ... gold trim around the outside.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:39 AM   #10
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgf

Just a note to the owners of the 2995 that want the electric fireplace,if you have an outside shower it is located behind the left panel of the computer desk,thus you cannot widen that space to the left very much,we got ours from lowes, same model df12309 and it was only 99.00 ,they carry this model if you can find one it will be a clearance item now.Had our cabinet shop where I work make some nice oak trim to hide where I had to widen the space,looks ver nice and heats great,also dedicated the computer outlet so it is on its own circuit breaker.Not hard to do, just watch that outside shower.
We took a trip to Lowe's last night and all there fireplaces are gone! They said the company did a buy back and they were all sent back...Maybe next year we will be lucky enough to get in there sooner!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote