Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
Emergency Road Service

I only wanted to say if you don't have it'get it!We were 22 miles south of Burlington VT on hwy 7, recently and the transmission stopped working on our 2001 F350 superduty.They sent a large rollback to pickup the truck and a very large wrecker to take our fifth wheel to a campground for us.Our cost was nothing,the ERS covered every thing.
We have our ERS with Camping World but Good Sam uses the same company.The point is, it doesn't matter who you have,just have it.Because we had coverage with some one it saved us a lot of money.
Also be aware that most ERS'S wont pay as these two do.

Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:38 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great to hear you were well attended. It only takes once to get your money's worth. And the peace of mind: priceless.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:52 AM   #3
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Pretty cold camping around Burlington at this time of year. I wasn't aware that any of the campgrounds in the area were open at this time of year either. Where did they take you? Good luck with the truck.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:54 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We'll also vouch for the value of this service. We have Good Sam ERS. We've used it once and were very pleased with the service. When we traded trucks the dealer needed to keep our new one a few days while adding the things we wanted added and for moving our hitch and tailgate to the new truck. The dealer gave us a nice, new F150 to drive for a few days. We are 130 miles from the dealer and I managed to lock the keys in the truck. I called Good Sam ERS and found out the service is only for vehicles we own, so the loaner was not covered. Something to be aware of. Fortunately for us, Ford's service that comes with the new vehicles for the 36/36000 warranty covered it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We have the Good Sam ERS too and had to use it our last trip out in Oct. The accelerator quite functioning on our Ford just north of Richmond on I-95. We were towed in short order to the nearest Ford dealer. The money saved on the two was way more than the cost of the ERS. I suggest it to anyone.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Am I detecting a pattern here??? 3 MOCers needed road service and all 3 have Fords. Is there something I am missing???

All kidding aside, We also have the Good Sam ERS but fortunately have not had to use it (maybe because I drive a Chevy?} but I am glad to here that GS takes care of their members.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
I can not say too much good about Good Sam ERS. A year ago last spring we were on our way to Yosemite when we lost the clutch on the Dodge. Carol had been bugging me to get the Good Sam ERS, which of course I had not. There we were setting along I-5 with no idea who to call. Called my insurance agent (had towing on our policy)he was no help. Called the dealer where we bought the truck trying to find a nearby Dodge dealer, no help. Finally called ERS, explained I was not a member, but wished I was. They help find a tow company that could tow the truck and trailer at the same time. They towed us about 50 miles to Vacaville, CA. Found us a place to park the trailer in the parking lot of a movie theater about a block from the Dodge dealer who was working on our truck. We of course had to pay the cost of the tow, but their help was invaluable. Needless to say, as soon as we got settled, I called them back and joined.

Steve, I am supprised they did not help you with your key problem. Last Easter, we were visiting our son when Carol locked their only set of keys in their van. Called ERS, explained the situation and in an hour a tow truck showed up and opened the door at no cost. Also had them come change a tire on the Montana when we discovered it was flat when were getting to leave a campground on the coast of Washington and when we blew a rear tire on the Dodge (did $2,500 damage to the rear fender) last summer. Have sure gotten our moneys worth and will not go on the road without it.

Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:31 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dennis and Carol
Steve, I am supprised they did not help you with your key problem. Last Easter, we were visiting our son when Carol locked their only set of keys in their van. Called ERS, explained the situation and in an hour a tow truck showed up and opened the door at no cost. Also had them come change a tire on the Montana when we discovered it was flat when were getting to leave a campground on the coast of Washington and when we blew a rear tire on the Dodge (did $2,500 damage to the rear fender) last summer. Have sure gotten our moneys worth and will not go on the road without it.

It probably was because I told them it is a loaner. They cover any vehicle we own but this one didn't fit that parameter. Had I not told them it was not mine they likely would have covered it.

They used to require the info about your vehicles, year, make, model, vin, etc., but when I called recently to tell them we'd traded trucks they told me they no longer require that information. So now they'd know it's not my vehicle only if I told them, which I did. But I got it covered by Ford after calling the dealer for advice.

Speaking of ERS, I'm about due to renew ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:00 AM   #9
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
ERS is fine when they don't change their minds as to what is covered and what is not covered. We had a rear tire blow out and when I called they said they don't cover my semi because it's a commercial vehicle. I told them they covered it before and was never notified that I wasn't covered. A very long story made short, they finally reimbursed me for the cost of the tire change and apologized for their error. I dropped them the same day they made that error and haven't rejoined. I'm still looking for a replacement company not affiliated with them. Anyone out there have a different company?
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 08:11 AM   #10
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
I have Good Sam ERS and am pleased with it. Used it for the first time this summer, when my TV broke down in East Lyme, Ct. Luckly we made it to the camp ground when this happened. Called the 800 number for help. They were concerned about our safty and if we were in a safe place. They called me back within 15 minutes to let me know that help was coming and the tow company would be calling me in a few minutes. The ramp truck was there within 30 minutes to pick me up, and they didn't take me to the nearest Ford dealer, who could not help me because they were booked until the next day. The next nearest Ford dealer was in New London, Ct., which they took me. Some services take you to the nearest dealer. Not Good Sam ERS, they take you where service is avilable at no charge. Am pleased with the service and will continue using it.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:26 AM   #11
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I to just purchased the Good Sam ERS.I thought for 79 bucks it would be well worth it if some thing went wrong.Nice to hear of every ones good experienes with the service.I do have towing services threw dodge,but that isn`t going to help much with the 5er in tow.And I guess if I was feeling lazy they would come out and even change a flat tire right???
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:54 AM   #12
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
We have Good Sam ERS and have not had to use it yet, but I am certainly glad to hear the many tales of their help and service.

Travel Safe
Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:12 AM   #13
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
AAA Plus RV will tow a MH but won't deal with a p/u and a 5'er. The operator that I spoke with has a 5'er and says she has Good Sam.

They will do everything else but tow You.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #14
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Well Glenn, I guess even Chevys get flats!!!

Good Sam ERS came to my rescure in Pigeon Forge this past Spring. The telephone assistant was very professional and polite. And I was treated fairly by the road service person who showed up to change the tire.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:56 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello John,
When did they change policy? I have the AAA RV Plus coverage. As a matter of fact I had to use it a couple of years ago. We were about 50 miles from Redding, CA up in the Trinity/ Whiskey Lake area. We lost the tranny in our Ford 250 SD PSD long bed. Called the AAA number and within an hour they were there with a truck to tow our PU into Redding for repairs. The PU did just fit on the tow truck but they got it down the mountain with no problem. At first we though we'd have time to get the truck fixed and back in service before our CG stay would be over but we ended up having to get the trailer down to Redding too.

We called the AAA folks again and told them we needed the 5th wheel towed. Fine they said they'd send out a "low-boy" type trailer to tow it. Problem was we were in a forrest! Narrow roads and low hanging branches! No way could they load the trailer onto the low-boy and make it out of the park without hitting many branches. So since we didn't want to have more problems we opted to find another way. AAA worked with us to find someone to tow our rig. Finally found a fellow who was delivering a rig up in our area and he came and hooked up to our rig and towed it into Redding for us. We paid him and then were reimbursed by AAA since they didn't actually do the towing.

I still have their service and would expect the same level of service. Also this past summer we had a flat tire on our 5er and called AAA and out they came. No problem. I realize that a flat tire and towing are two different things......

So do you have first hand experience with AAA or did you talk with someone who told you they don't cover 5ers? Thanks, HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #16
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The first new trailer that we bought was a Citation by Thor. At the time, they came with one year "free" Thor Road Service Plan. We have maintained the same plan for our Montanas. I have never had occasion to call them (touch wood), so we don't really know how their service is, but they do cover trailers, tow vehicles and any other vehicle that you own.

Has anyone else had any experience with Thor's RV Road Service Plan?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I don't know about any of them yet, but we bought an extended RV warranty from our dealer that covers the truck and 5er. It's a Ford service, so I don't know if my GM truck will have an allergic reaction if I ever need to use it. It covers towing, lock service and all of the appliances. I can't remember what the final total was, but it wouldn't have taken much to pay for it. I think, based on this topic, I will get the Good Sam policy when this one expires. Thanks for the great info.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:46 AM   #18
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We have AAA RV plus and since we are new to this type of traveling have not had to use it. I asked at the AAA office the other day about 5er's and they told me that any trailer with running water was covered. (they said horse trailers were not covered).
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:27 AM   #19
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We have GS ERS and have used it several times. Dropped the clutch in our truck (not a Ford) outside of Casper Wyoming the last time. They towed both rigs into town. Made reservations at KOA. Have had them change flats in AZ. and S.D. Towed our car after a large deer totaled it. It is good coverage. On the same note. This year when we got our Mexican Ins. there is a rider for Road Side Assistance.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:30 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've had ERS since 2000. Wouldn't be without it. It's been invaluable. Just recently, I got stuck in about 3 inches of wet clay in an RV park in Pecos, TX on November 15, 2004. They sent the biggest wrecker you may have ever seen--pulled me right out. Again on December 13, 2004 my transmission went out east of Quartzite, AZ. ERS had a flat bed and a tow truck come out and tow me into Blythe, CA. They parked my 5th wheel in an RV park for me and took my truck to a well-respected transmission repair facility.

I can't say enough about ERS. It's been the best $79 I have ever invested.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote