Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2004, 01:14 PM   #21
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Steve, Just noticed you posted new picture looks sharp, almost looks like a King Ranch Version. Love those as well. Truck looks great.

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:09 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well with all this talk about new trucks, I found myself at the local Chevy dealership tonight. I really like the hood and grille changes for the 05 Silverado. I drove the 3500 Crewcab 4x4 Dually, to see how much difference there is between this and my shortbed. I am just amazed on how much more this motor has to offer than my 04. Even with it being a dually this thing just flys. This is one sweet truck. Now I just have to keep myself away from there or I too will be coming home in one.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:22 AM   #23
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Well with all this talk about new trucks, I found myself at the local Chevy dealership tonight. ... I drove the 3500 Crewcab 4x4 Dually ... I am just amazed on how much more this motor has to offer than my 04.
Did they changes to the Durimax powertrain for 2005?

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:29 AM   #24
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Once more I risk my neck .... But I have to ask. What is the reason so many have 4X4? This really is a question because I do not have a four wheel drive and have never felt any need or desire to have one, but from reading many of the posts that seems to many to be desirable. Does it have to do with "off road" without towing? Does it have anything at all to do with towing? Just asking.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:30 AM   #25
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Congrats on your new truck.I like the idea of having the brake controller already built in.I`am hearing those new fords have some awesome towing power.Good luck with it.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:37 AM   #26
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
PADREDW

The real reason I have a 4x4 is this truck is my daily ride.We get some pretty good snows in Pennsylvania so in that respect it comes in handy.As far as towing goes its not needed.Unless your at a camp site where it rains for 5 days and you need the 4 wheel drive to leave.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:04 AM   #27
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
harleyrider

That makes sense to me. Since we have snow here about every 5 years -- I mean a one or two day snow of about 2 or 3 inches -- Well, you can see my point. Thanks for responding.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:47 AM   #28
tnorfitz
Established Member

M.O.C. #2069
We order a 4X4 in all the truck we buy. We are from NE Missouri, and we can get snowstorms that require 4WD. Also have a son that has 3 4WD vehicles, and likes to go mudding. With all his breakdowns, we need the 4WD to get him unstuck, or to move his broken down vehicles. Don't use the 4WD much, in the grand scheme of things, but it sure does come in handy to help myself, or others, out of sticky or slippery conditions!!! With the push of a button, I can keep on going.
tnorfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 05:09 AM   #29
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Chevy did make some internal changes to the Duramax which will probably work out well for we "Tow-Bees". The revamped injectors are one big change and the turbo underwent some major engineering changes. With the changes there is an increase in horsepower & torque. I myself looked at a 4500 Series Kodiak with the Monroe pick up box and spiffed up interior, built-in engine brake & brake controller. Pretty nice unit; but I'll have to mortage my first-born to pay for it. I'll just wait till the "inventory tax" time gets closer & see if they want to move the unit and do some serious negotiation on price.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:02 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We used to tow with a 4x2 and never felt the need for 4x4 for towing purposes. The next happened to have 4x4 and I did have a few situations where it was helpful and a couple where I would have just found a different site if no 4x4. Once, if no 4x4, we would have had to get help to get out of a site after 5 weeks of mostly rain and having to drive across mud/grass to get out of the site. The 4x4 was great then.

None of that is enough in my mind to justify the expense of 4x4. But, we do Nov/Dec where they get ice and snow (kids won't move south). As fulltimers this truck is our only vehicle. 4x4 is nice for that reason and that's the main reason the new one has 4x4 also. Do you need it to tow successfully? Not in my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:12 PM   #31
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The new 05 Duramax is now rated at 320hp and 605lb-ft torque.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:00 PM   #32
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Congrats to all the new trucks - we got the bug and went down to look here at our dealer, didn't dare drive one.......trade-in was terrible and we were disappointed with that as we only have 22,222 miles so if we decide to order a new one will sell out right. Loved all the changes including the break controller in the dash and more power. May wait for the '06 since we just bought an Explorer in Feb - one just never knows!

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:02 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jack and Lorraine, keep looking and/or talking to them. I reminded the dealer there's darn few of the new 6.0's on the used lots. You know they have to have potential customers trying to find a used 6.0. One thing that might be holding them back a little is all the big rebates on the '04 models making them relatively cheap. Soon as that's over your value might increase to them. Good luck, I know well the feeling.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #34
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Thanks Steve - we haven't given up just not in a hurry since there isn't anything wrong with our truck and Monty isn't going anywhere til late spring (already winterized) plus we aren't going to take a big loss with trade-in.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 11-03-2004, 11:53 AM   #35
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't blame you at all about not wanting to take a big loss. I think I probably just hit it right when they probably had somebody looking for that particular cab/bed/drivetrain combination so they probably know they have a quick buyer. I would not have traded if I hadn't got considerably more than I expected they'd go. The tradein was an '03, just 16 months old but we put 51k miles on it in that time.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:53 PM   #36
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Know you are right with hitting at the right time, just like trying to trade up to a larger unit.......last yr we checked in Manassas, VA and it was the same thing, no trade-in value without forking over a bundle - OUCH! So will stay with what we have for the present besides with everything fixed almost hate to think of having to go through that again with another Monty. I remember when you got the '03 about 2 or 3 months after we received ours then several started getting the 6.0L powerstroke. Will give it time and see - Jack says maybe we will wait for the '06 to see what new things they come up with. My son is waiting delivery of the same one you have except he is getting the long bed.

Safe travels.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:23 PM   #37
Montana_2302
Established Member

M.O.C. #2302
We bought the 2005 F350 powerstoke diesel with the super cab and our 3 golden retrievers have not complained once.....matter of fact they like it....though they miss bein able to see out the back window because a 12000lb. mountain is followin so close....Actually; I think it's a dream....handles nice....feels nice...and has power to spare,even up steep grades....however; fuel consumption is another story and the cost of diesel has gone through the roof here in Ohio! Not sure what kind of mileage i'm actually gettin....but it's not what i was expecting.
Montana_2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:33 PM   #38
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Give it time to get broken in, although ours isn't what we thought and we have 22,222 miles on it. How are your prices in Ohio? Ours here(NM) at the corner station yesterday was 2.15, other places about 5 cents or more higher..........such a rip off!!!! We aren't traveling now which helps and truck stays parked.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 11-05-2004, 01:40 PM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John and Jan, I take it you've towed with your new 2005. I've been watching for others' experiences. We're settled in until early January so won't tow with ours until then. We towed with our prior '03 6.0L PSD and loved it.

I've been watching the trip computer for mileage. But haven't towed with it yet. Bringing it 130 miles home from the dealer running two-lane US highways with some town we averaged 17.4 mpg. When I had to make a trip back to the dealer for a signature I took I-70 and got 18.4 but was only running about 65 to 72 mph (was varying speed for breakin). Today I did a 240 mile jaunt running 75-77 mph on the same roads and got 17.2 (truck now has 1600 miles on it). I expect at about 30,000 miles when it's broken in it should be up to 19-20. That's when our '03 6.0 PSD peaked in mileage.

With the '03 we averaged 11.5 towing 13,980 lbs. That's running 60-65 mph. When I ran higher speeds, mileage dropped a mpg or so.

If yours isn't doing about the same then I'd wonder why. Both ours have the 3.73 axle.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:16 PM   #40
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle
I've been watching the trip computer for mileage. But haven't towed with it yet. Bringing it 130 miles home from the dealer running two-lane US highways with some town we averaged 17.4 mpg.
With the '03 we averaged 11.5 towing 13,980 lbs. That's running 60-65 mph. When I ran higher speeds, mileage dropped a mpg or so.
Maybe I should of stuck with another Ford Steve, according to the computer in my new Dodge, it says I am getting 11.3 miles to the gallon. I only have a little over 3k miles on it, but geezzz, shouldn't I be getting better mileage than that???? I'm gonna have to check tomorrow and make sure that I am pushing the right button for the correct reading I need. Who knows what I'm pushing
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote