Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2004, 09:48 AM   #1
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Odor from hot water heater

If I do not drain the hot water tank, a odor develops in the water. It develops for sure if not used in a 3 week period.
My last trailer did not have the anode rod and this never seemed to be a problem. Any ideas for a solution other than removing the anode rod? Thanks!

Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 10:51 AM   #2
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
you could add a portable water softener.
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I never have had that problem.I am sure it has to do with the water in your area
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:25 AM   #4
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
[quote]Originally posted by kdeiss

I never have had that problem.I am sure it has to do with the water in your area
[/quote
I do not think it is the water in the area, the problem has occurred in the past with water from a differnt area.
The anode rod appears to be made from aluminum. Is there a different type of anode rod?
Many thanks!

Old 10-16-2004, 05:56 AM   #5
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
The anode rod is sacrificial and attracts certain minerals in the water therfore saving the metal in your water heater. The problem is related to the minerals in the water and will vary by location. The only permanent solutions is a water softener or simply removing the anode rode. However, if you remove the anode rod you will decrease the life expectancy of the water heater.
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Someone said there's an anode rod with a drain plug (I suppose it has a hole toward the base and then hollow to the outside). That would facilitate draining after each use rather than letting it stand full ???
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:23 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
VanMan, I'd like to have one of those if they exist. If you find out, please post.

ThunderMan, we used to leave water in the heater all season without problem. Fulltiming we change out the water every three to six months. No problem. The one time we had a problem was when it got full of water heavy with iron odor. We drained it, refilled with good water and drained again to get out any residue, then refilled it and have no problem again. As others mentioned, could it be your water? If not I wonder if there's something wrong with the lining in the heater.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 05:27 PM   #8
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Thanks to all for the comments. The anode rod with drain sounds like a great idea. The problem occurred twice, once with water from the city and once with well water. I can't help but believe it is the anode rod..need to do a bit of research.
Thanks!
Old 10-17-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
It's the water. Wait until you go to AZ. The water there is really bad and the hot water stinks after only a week or two. We never have the problem at home. just when we go South. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 06:12 PM   #10
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Treecounter

It's the water. Wait until you go to AZ. The water there is really bad and the hot water stinks after only a week or two. We never have the problem at home. just when we go South. Treecounter
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Treecounter,
You may be right, I am going to check on another anode rod. On RV.NET there is a comment in regard to Magnesium rods being the problem in Suburban hot water tanks.
Thanks!
Old 10-18-2004, 02:39 AM   #11
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Anyone out there know how to drain the water out of the heater? I can't get the big plug to move. Our last unit had a plastic drain plug.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:40 AM   #12
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Ann

Anyone out there know how to drain the water out of the heater? I can't get the big plug to move. Our last unit had a plastic drain plug.
++++++++++++++++++++++
Make sure you are turning the plug which most likely is the anode rod on the other end. Turn it to the left to remove. Should be able to do it with a socket and a 1/2" ratchet. When you re-install wrap the plug threads with teflon tape to prevent leaking. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:38 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

VanMan, I'd like to have one of those if they exist. If you find out, please post.
Steve:
See Camper's Choice Catalogue, Item, A282, Drainable Anode for Atwood water heaters. I think ours are Suburban, so it may not fit. Also the drain looks rather small. Given the junk I have seen come out of water heaters, I think it may plug up.

Bill and Ann:
The only safe way to get the plug out is a good socket and drive bar. As someone else said, put it back with teflon tape, not only to prevent leaks, but also to make it easier to get out next time. Most teflon tape is white, but there is a specal grade for plumbing, it orange in colour. I bought some at Home Hardware. - you know the one where Avril Lavigne hangs out.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:22 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Steve:
See Camper's Choice Catalogue, Item, A282, Drainable Anode for Atwood water heaters. I think ours are Suburban, so it may not fit. Also the drain looks rather small. Given the junk I have seen come out of water heaters, I think it may plug up.

Bill and Ann:
The only safe way to get the plug out is a good socket and drive bar. As someone else said, put it back with teflon tape, not only to prevent leaks, but also to make it easier to get out next time. Most teflon tape is white, but there is a specal grade for plumbing, it orange in colour. I bought some at Home Hardware. - you know the one where Avril Lavigne hangs out.
Thanks, John. I wish they'd state the size. Since it doesn't mention Suburban, it probably won't fit. Also, the anode part is very short, compared to the Suburban's. I'd be a bit uncomfortable about how well it works in the Suburban. Anybody know if this one will fit ours?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote