Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Going to purchase a new 3400 or BS 340

I am going to be buying a 2008 unit one of the two above. I want to have the satellit dome, Onan generator, bedroom A/C, slide awnings, and all the other options installed at the factory. Is there any reason you WOULD NOT get the Onan generator or Satellite Dome installed by Montana? I feel that since it is coming from the manufacturer themselves and they know more than anyone how it is built etc they would be better suited to install these right there.
Your thoughts and reasons pro and con much appreciated.

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

Good choices on the floorplan , but then I'm bias.

Two things to consider from my perspective:

The last few factory Onan installations talked about on the MOC were gasoline. I would not want gasoline and would have Dealer install an LP version.

I would make sure the factory is installing the latest and greatest dome for satellite. Both Dish and Direct TV have changed recently requiring additional wiring. I'm just not sure what the factory is putting in. We did ours in March and now it's already outdated and I would have to add new control wiring and a module to get the new 3rd satellite on Dish. Frustrating.

Congratulations!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bob,
I sent you a PM about this.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bob, think about the way you will use your Montana, will you always be in an RV resort, or will you be where you will need a generator? I you are not certain, maybe you should just get the generator prep. from the factory, that way you can add the gen if needed later. It is heavy, and not cheap. Washer and dryers are another option to consider as well.
Good luck with the new baby.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:06 AM   #5
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
I'll weigh in here with my 2 cents.

I would seriously consider waiting on the satellite dome as "state of the art" seems to be changing almost daily in regards to electronics. By the time you order your unit and take delivery, your dome will be outdated. And you risk the fact that manufacturers and dealers will be dumping inventory to try and keep up with the changing technology, so you may not even get the most up to date dome available at the time of your purchase.

Based on my personal experience, a diesel generator would be the only way to go if you plan on using generator power on a daily basis, otherwise a couple of the small lightweight Honda gas generators would be more practical and cost effective.

I think the second AC unit and the slide awnings installed at the factory is a wise choice.

tc
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
On the sat dome, IF you are in an area that may be blocked by trees, the dome may not be able to receive a signal. A dish set up on a tripod of some sort allows you to move the dish to capture a signal. I have set mine up 80'/90' or more from my Tana in the past. I do not find it difficult to set up the sat dish in this manner

Just a thought.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Bob, think about the way you will use your Montana, will you always be in an RV resort, or will you be where you will need a generator? I you are not certain, maybe you should just get the generator prep. from the factory, that way you can add the gen if needed later. It is heavy, and not cheap. Washer and dryers are another option to consider as well.
Good luck with the new baby.
Good advice.

If you opt for a generator, gas/propane are heavy, diesels are very heavy. In 15 months of travel, we have never had the need for a generator. However, the D/W enjoys the advantages of the washer/dryer.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
[quote]Originally posted by bsmeaton

Bob,

"The last few factory Onan installations talked about on the MOC were gasoline. I would not want gasoline and would have Dealer install an LP version."

We just got ours this year and it had an LP generator. There was no question, it was listed as an LP generator. Sue and Verle C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I envy you on your new purchase choices. With adding a Onan gen,
awnings, bedroom air and satelite you better be checking your pin
weight figures with that 2500HD unless it isn't 4x4. It looks like you have a travel trailer now and will probably be way over pin weight on this truck. Good luck and have fun with your new 5th. You
will really enjoy it over the TT.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Well I don't have a 4x4 never have. I have a 2500HD extended cab long be Duramax, Allison.

All that will be in the truck is me my wife and a 5er hitch in the bed.

I believe but cannot confirm it right now but I believe my manual states 3000 max on the pin weight. According to Montana sight it was stock about 2000+ Of course the generator will be the heaviest thing I add and that is 280 lbs. The Satellite Dome should not be very heavy.

Just to insure that all is ok I am only going to have the factory wire it for the Onan and satellite dome but have them installed locally so that I can be certain that the dome is UTD and the pin wieght is not an issue.

Being retired GM I guess I could always get a Duramax 3500 Dually crew cab. Have thought of that but I see allot of Montana owners towing these very happily with 2500 HD Duramax's.

Thanks
Bob
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
One more thing...your gonna need a new license plate? 08MONTY..or..08BGSKY
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #12
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RMccord

Well I don't have a 4x4 never have. I have a 2500HD extended cab long be Duramax, Allison.

All that will be in the truck is me my wife and a 5er hitch in the bed.

I believe but cannot confirm it right now but I believe my manual states 3000 max on the pin weight. According to Montana sight it was stock about 2000+ Of course the generator will be the heaviest thing I add and that is 280 lbs. The Satellite Dome should not be very heavy.

Just to insure that all is ok I am only going to have the factory wire it for the Onan and satellite dome but have them installed locally so that I can be certain that the dome is UTD and the pin wieght is not an issue.

Being retired GM I guess I could always get a Duramax 3500 Dually crew cab. Have thought of that but I see allot of Montana owners towing these very happily with 2500 HD Duramax's.

Thanks
Bob
That quote you read for the 3000 pin weight is more GM propaganda. That figure is for the small block gas engine...the weight of the D/A option comes off the cargo capacity. If your truck is an 05 or newer, check the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the left rear door post, it will list your cargo capacity. If you still can, I would suggest you get the dually, as you said a number use 3/4 tons and most are over weight...up to you.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Bob -

Someone earlier mentioned the Hondas. If you get to where weight is an issue, you can do what we did. We bought one Honda 2000 to start and will add a second one later with the connection kit. Combined, that will give us a 4000 watt generator weighing less than 100 lbs. Also, don't forget the pin weight from Montana doesn't include your propane tanks being full. Add a grill, lawn chairs, tools, etc. and the weight starts adding up. Plus, the black water and grey water tanks will add to the pin weight.

I pull a 3400 with a 2500HD 4x4 and have been very happy. In fact, I just replaced brakes at 78k miles. I have been looking at the Big Sky and the weight is substantially heavier, I believe. I will probably need a 3500 before I upgrade. Again, great choice of floor plans.

As for the satellite dish, we have the crank up dish and it is a single LNBF. Just make sure that whatever dish you get that it is capable of handling the HD requirements. For Directv, that's a (5) LNBF dish. I believe that you need the capability to set skew in addition to elevation and azimuth. We like the dish on the roof for ease of setup. However, the downside is that if you get in trees, you're out of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

Just for your info - we have installed everything you mentioned on our 3400 plus the stackable W/D and we have gel coat. Our true pin weight fully loaded for action is 2,540 lbs. Total weight on the rear axle of the truck was 5,820 lbs. with nobody in the truck. With all that stuff we added I thought it would be a lot heavier. Axle weight was 11,300, way under the 14K rating on the new axles for the Monty.

I guess I would say not to worry about the weight with your extra options. The Montana will handle it. As you know, by the time you fuel up and sit down in your truck you'll probably exceed that 6k rear axle on the 2500.

What fun! Sounds like you have a plan. We ordered generator prep because I already had the generator. Other than a help from a couple of grumbling neighbors lifting it in, I hooked it up myself with no issues. Keystone does a great job on the prep. I only wished they offered satellite prep when we ordered.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
Heli 190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4448
We have not had very good luck with our Domed Dish. It takes for ever to tune in the Sat's and every once in a while it throws the belt off the motor. My next Monty we will use a crank up dish
Heli 190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We like our crank up dish, but the one that was offered when we got ours only has a single lnbf = not enough for the new HD televisions. I do not know how the new ones are, but if you go with the Big Sky with the HD set, you will probably want to use it. So make sure you get a dish capable of handling the 5 lnbf requirement.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote