Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #21
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glenn - I didn't realize you were in the industrial safety side - too cool. We'll have to chat at the next rally.

I agree - NFPA is well suited for industry, and gets adopted not only through OSHA, but also by the insurance underwriters by IRI and FM.

I guess I was thinking more of the residential constuction side. Although the counties and cities have adopted some form of building code, it is rarely enforced well. For instance, a professional electrician will wire your house in accordance with NFPA as a measure of pride in his work and to protect his license, but there is nothing that prevents the owner from doing it himself or having his plumber brother-in-law do it. As a result you can get some pretty poor work and the inspectors catch very little. I guess construction of RVs is not much different. The design may meet RVIA guidance, but how it actually gets installed as far as workmanship may be a totally different story.

Brad

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #22
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
When an electrician wires a business or house it has to be inspected by the electrical inspectors for state or county or whoever issues the permit. The inspectors have to have either a journeyman license or a Masters electrical license to be an inspector. Actually it is against the law in Colorado to work without an electrical license to do any type of electrical work.
Don could probably tell this better than me. Or sorry if I am off subject.
Dusty
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #23
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Man, do I love shopping in Oregon, USA.
How do you get to OR? Do you go through Spokane, WA down US395? If so you go right through the Tri-Cities? Next trip give me a shout and we will get a cup of coffee...actually an iced tea or coke.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dusty,

It's against the law to work for HIRE as an electrician without a license. However, there are no restrictions for a homeowner to do his own work, be it electrical or plumbing, without a license, providing it passes inspection. It's the king-of-the-castle rule and I doubt it will ever be changed. The homeowner can also solicit help from other non-qualified persons, providing it's not for hire.

Also not true on inspectors being licensed. Lone Tree only has one inspector for electrical and plumbing, and he is a plumber by trade. The City of Aurora is actually using the fire inspectors to sign off permits for electrical and plumbing on residential, as a cost reduction incentive.

Brad
Old 12-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #25
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If I buy my 5th wheel in Washington I will have to pay $375 to get a CSA sticker. The place that issues these stickers is called Canadian Tire aka Crappy Tire they know nothing about RVs and the propane and electrical systems but they have the contract to do this. Talk about a Ripoff
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:04 AM   #26
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
In my line of work (railroading) we are governed by numerous industry association guidelines. Our compliance with these guidelines is constantly monitored by Federal regulators and if a trial lawyer suspects that a guideline has not been followed, the lawsuits fly. I would suspect that similar behavior would apply within the RV industry. Maybe not so much the government oversight, but I suspect that the lawyers would have a field day if they suspected that a manufacturer was not complying with the industry guidelines.

Having said that, my industry does not charge anyone for a stupid sticker that says they comply with trade association guidelines. Compliance is a cost of doing business. Anyone who has to pay for a sticker on an RV is being ripped off!
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:29 AM   #27
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Just wondering, does Franklin belong to or use RVIA in their uhh rvers. Anyone know?
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:30 AM   #28
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

Man, do I love shopping in Oregon, USA.
How do you get to OR? Do you go through Spokane, WA down US395? If so you go right through the Tri-Cities? Next trip give me a shout and we will get a cup of coffee...actually an iced tea or coke.
Mike, I live north of Seattle so when I go south I go down I-5 and through Seattle and Portland and we stay in Salem . Salem is a great shopping town.Small enough to get around and big enough to have everything. I have gone through Spokane when I am travelling East but we don't do that much. Spokane area seemes nice and we loved Coeur D' Alene, Idaho. I would like very much to meet you guys for a drink someday, and if you ever decide to come up into the northwest, give me a shout for sure and we can get together.
We wish you both a very Happy , Healthy, and Prosperous New Year.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:09 AM   #29
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Code:
Also not true on inspectors being licensed.
 Lone Tree only has one inspector for electrical and plumbing,
 and he is a plumber by trade. The City of Aurora is 
actually using the fire inspectors to sign off permits 
for electrical and plumbing on residential, as a cost reduction incentive.

Brad
I didn't know this. I ask Don and he said
since Lone Tree is a new area, maybe that is why.
Everything is changing these days. Of course there
is a lot of Electricians working without
license but they are not supposed to be doing that.
Aurora is another story. They are growing so fast
I guess they can't keep enough licensed inspectors
to handle the load. Don't understand how they
get away with this with the state.
Aurora is the reason we are trying to sell our house
before Aurora annexes here. Our tax here in Elbert
County is 2.8. I believe Aurora it is 8.0.
Besides they would probably force us to
buy their water. We have our own water.
I won't get started on this........
Old 12-30-2006, 05:51 AM   #30
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dusty,

Don is right. Lone Tree is desparately trying to hire on inspectors or even contract it out. Our plan reviews were done through a private contractor to Douglas County, as they couldn't support the new city of Lone Tree. Our inspector was a nice enough guy, but he told me up front he was out of his element on electrical. He was hired on as a plumbing inspector but does it all.

Aurora is a different animal, and sorry you are facing annexation. My uncle just moved from there to Brush because of the same thing. Aurora moved the entire fire prevention bureau to the building department and made all the inspectors get certified through the ICBO for inspections. My friend that works there says he feels like a fool pulling up to a construction site in a fire department vehicle to sign off for rough-in electrical or plumbing. He is looking for work elsewhere.

Brad
Old 12-30-2006, 07:41 AM   #31
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Oh, how nice it is to sit around on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, 30 December 2006, (at least it is her in Florida) and blow off opinions on the computer. I think I will go back outside and enjoy the beautiful weather. How lucky we Montana owners are.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #32
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Brad,
Did you see where Aurora annexed up to Parker's city limits? Parker must have been asleep there! I don't think Aurora will do it here for at least a few years but we feel it is coming.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:22 PM   #33
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Wrenchtraveler,

I was just in Salem for a couple three days. Stayed at Premier RV Resort on Hiway 22. Just curious, where do you stay in Salem?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:02 PM   #34
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dusty,

I didn't know that. Annexation is a cut-throat business.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:51 AM   #35
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Salem Campground & RV's

3700 Hagers Grove Rd SE Salem, Oregon 97301
Phone: 503-581-6736
Fax:1-888-827-9605
1-800-826-9605

I copied this from a website, It is not a super park but it is close to everything so we have used it for years. Take care
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote