Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2006, 07:51 AM   #21
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,

I also have the Dometic low profile Penguin 13,500 BTU w/ heatstrip. I added the MaxxAir covers to all of my vents, and the kitchen is my highest point at 13'3". If you go with the standard size a/c unit in the front, overall height will be approx. 13'9" or 13'10".

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 AM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Glenn,
Let me know what you find out. As I previously mentioned, as of the September factory tour Keystone was still installing the standard size 13,500 btu a/c in the bedroom. I suggested switching over to a low profile during the tour, just got a blank face/confused look response... =)
Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 AM   #23
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I'm sure glad I asked this question. I had no clue that the factory installed 2nd A/C would cause such a height problem. When I place my order, I'll get only the prep for the 2nd A/C. I'll then get a low profile unit later

The only brand name that I saw mentioned was the Low Profile Dometic Penguin that Richfaa has. Are there any other Brands or models to condider (or for that matter to steer clear of)?

Thanks for your great advice.
Don
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:07 AM   #24
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

OK Steve - ya got me bugged. .
Whew - I love this MOC. I could only wish I was this informed when I bought my first one!!
This site has saved my cookies as well!!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #25
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

OK Steve - ya got me bugged. .
Whew - I love this MOC. I could only wish I was this informed when I bought my first one!!
This site has saved my cookies as well!!!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

Steve, I would check that height to make sure. I know on my unit it had that unit and it measured 13'8" so the dealer changed it out to the low profile. Now the highest point is the fan cover which is 13'3"
When I took a level from the top of my 2nd AC unit and dropped a weighted plumb line to the ground while hooked up to my truck the height was measured as 13'2". My truck has a 2" drop when hitched to the RV so when I get my airbags insatlled my clearance will be 13'4".

Guys, ya gotta quit doing this - now I'm gonna have to do it again before I hit a 13'6" bridge!!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don,

Low profiles are also available from Coleman and Carrier just introduced a new one. The carrier actually looks like it has a nicer interior grille for air distribution than the Penguin.

I know nothing of these other units. I know my 2003 Penguin usually left me soaking wet in the kitchen and would drip all over the kids bed, stained the curtains, and......

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:59 AM   #27
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
I have not had any trouble with my Dometic lowpro, been very, very happy I had one put in. Plus the heat strip is great on those cooler nights.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I also have has no problem with mine although they are certainly not as quiet as the main A/C.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #29
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
My water dripping from the Penguin was my first MOC post, with responses from several folks having the same problem, countered by several folks that had no problem at all. I believe it was an inherit problem of the Penguin's drip tray and the mounting angle and/or some miscalculated air flow in the ducted systems on some of the earlier model Montanas.

There were too many success stories with the Penguin to ignore, therefore I will not object if the Penguin is the low profile model installed on the front of our new rig.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #30
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
The best pricing I have found on the Penguin is through PPL Motorhomes in Houston. Delivered price was $918 including all parts, heat strip, shipping, and sales tax for TX.

Anyone got ideas of a better place?
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:45 PM   #31
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
Check out Camping World. Here is a link...

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...r/skunum=10905
Old 11-14-2006, 01:47 AM   #32
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The dealer put the Low Pro Carrier in ours with the heat strip. Like Brsd said it has a better distrubition system. You can have the air flow come out of the ends or the bottom or both.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:40 AM   #33
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis,
That's what I noticed. If the penguin is still using the same inside grille, it draws from the bottom and only distributes out the ends.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:23 AM   #34
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
Ok, feeling pretty stupid here...originally when we ordered ours we were going to do the prep and have the dealer install...then dealer said it was cheaper to have done at factory. Of course, he did not tell us it was NOT low profile from factory, hence the cheaper cost I'm sure. When we picked it up, I saw it was full size but never gave it a second thought. Are we in a lot of trouble travelling down the road? I'll have Craig measure it from top to bottom while hooked up. Are semi-trucks taller than a camper or would we be taller than them now?
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:35 AM   #35
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Craig - the low profiles are more expensive. I am running into the same thing on the factory AC. The Brisk-Air dometic is actually a few hundred dollars less than other ACs. I'll find out today what the dealer installed low profile extra will be.

I guess bottom line - we all need to clearly understand our height and be careful with bridges, gas station canopies, and other obstructions. You are probably not taller than a semi, but taller than a lot of RVs. Some of those Class As are pretty tall though, I can't believe you would be taller than those.

We are changing just because we have the opportunity to catch it, and I just secured covered storage for the unit so I want to make sure I fit.

Brad
Old 11-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #36
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Like Brad said just know your height and be careful. Even if you were 11 foot you would still need to pay attention. It was talked about on this forum not to long ago about some States having a height restriction and one of those was Texas. If you could get your dealer to swap it out without a charge I would do it otherwise just enjoy your unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:46 AM   #37
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
talked to the dealer about the low profile, and they want to match the manufacturer of the rear unit which I naturally thought was Dometic. But they said some are coming in with Coleman.

Anybody have Coleman AC(s)?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #38
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Craig,
Most semi trailers are 13'7" tall. As long as you are under that, any where a semi goes, you go.

The low profile are more expensive. One is not better than the other, it all comes down to personal choice. The garage my coach is in has a 15' door, I wanted to make sure I could clear it with extra room, the reason I went with low profile.

Most Class A motorhomes are 12'1" to 12'5" to the top of their a/c units. The larger 5th wheels (like the Montana) are usually 1' to almost 2' taller depending on vent covers and which a/c unit you have up front(13'3" to 13'9"). Watch your overhead at fuel stations, just because a class A is in there, does not mean the Montana will fit as well. I found this to be true 4 different times on the trip to and from Goshen in September.

Have only seen Dometic on the Montana's.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #39
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Well, I just spoke to the dealer and too late for me to change out the 2nd AC at the factory. Guess I'll be at the mercy of whatever gets installed unless I want to actually buy another low profile AC.

Guess I'll just follow you around Steve. If you hit something I'll turn around .
Old 11-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #40
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My sat. dish sticks up higher than the 2nd A/C unit. Bummer.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote