Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2006, 02:36 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
battery and dry camping

I intend to do a little dry camping during my summer RV travels. I have 2 batteries in my 3295rk. How many days can I expect from the batteries?

Let's say it is warm enough to use the fantastic fan, but I don't use the furnace fan.

Related question: for any overnight, will the alternator recharge the batteries in a 4 hour drive? How long a drive? I have a single heavy duty (upgrade option) alternator in my 2006 F250 superduty diesel.

Third scenerio, it is really cold and I run the furnace and funace fan.

Thanks to those experience sharing with the new guy!
Gene

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:50 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I think we need to know a bit more about those two batteries before anyone can give a very definite answer. Do you know the size and voltage? (e.g. group 24, 12 volt or golf cart 6 volt).

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I am looking for general guideance. I was in Seward AK in 2005 and most RVs were staying 3 days without hook ups in the city lot. (I was in a pop up that would recharge the battery in 3 hours). I never heard a generator.

But I am happy to tell you I have 2 group 24 rv/marine deep cycle batteries. I do not have any charger other than the converter that came with my unit. I do not now own a generator.

Your help is appreciated

Gene
Old 02-21-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
This is just a guesstimate, but I think you should be good for about 5-6 days in mild weather and 2-3 in cool weather. I think you should be able to recharge in a day's drive, but others are more experienced than I am in these matters, so let's see what anyone else has to say.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Gene,
We boondock about 90% of our camping time. Since lights, waterpump, fan, radio, etc draw; we find that our (1) battery doesn't last long for us. I don't think our battery would ever last 3 days. We use a combination of battery and generator as our solution. You'll find the Honda 2000i as a common generator used.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:35 AM   #6
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks to all. Just the insight I needed.

I hope to get some experience with the Monty for 1 to 2 night drycamping stays this summer. I can watch my battery lights on the control panel and get a feel for my useage. I expect I will be fine for that type trip.

Next year has the Pacific NW on the schedule. I may do some longer (5-6 day) boondocking in USFS areas (I hope). That may call for a generator to bring back up the battery.

Having just come from a pop up to the 5er, I still think I only need the batteries recharged for the water pump and Fantastic Fan...not 120vAC for the Microwave. My attitudes are subject to change!

Again, thanks to all. Happy camping!
Gene
Old 02-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I have camped for years as a Boy Scoutmaster and moving up to a 5er is a big step.
There is nothing like the quiet of an evening with nothing running but the animals. A fire to enjoy and the wife to cuddle with.
When it gets dark you can watch the stars and the sky when you are away from the lights.

Battery has enough power to run the water pump and lights for several days. We don't radio or Television unless we use a portable.

Enjoy your 5er and happy camping.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congratulations on your trip to Alaska in a popup. That's very courageous. We didn't see many on our drive up there last year. Hopefully you'll be able to make the trip again in your new unit and enjoy it even more.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by genecurp

I intend to do a little dry camping during my summer RV travels. I have 2 batteries in my 3295rk. How many days can I expect from the batteries?

Let's say it is warm enough to use the fantastic fan, but I don't use the furnace fan.

Related question: for any overnight, will the alternator recharge the batteries in a 4 hour drive? How long a drive? I have a single heavy duty (upgrade option) alternator in my 2006 F250 superduty diesel.

Third scenerio, it is really cold and I run the furnace and funace fan.

Thanks to those experience sharing with the new guy!
Gene
Like has been already mentioned, it depends on how much you use the lights. I assume you are talking strictly about using the 12V lights, water pump, Fantastic Fan, and/or furnace. If you just use lights, you shouldn't have much of a problem. The Fantastic Fan draws 3 amps on high. Do you know the storage capacity of your batteries (amperes)? If your batteries when fully charged store, for example, 200 amps, then you can figure out about how long they will work for you without recharging. If you have 200 amps, I believe you can draw 200 amps for one hour, 100 amps for two hours, 50 amps for four hours, 25 amps for 8 hours, etc.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #10
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
We have gone up to three days without shore power, but we have two batteries. It's really fun to get away from everything.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #11
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We just got back from quartzsite, and were boondocking for 12 days with no problems. It was chilly at night, and we used the furnace, but no TV. I charged the batteries every morning while I brewed coffee and made toast with the Honda 2000 we carry, and had plenty of battery power. We have two 27(?) series marine batteries in the 5er.

Hope that helps.

Just a guess, but I think two days with light to moderate use of lights and the furnace would just about deplete the battery reserve.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:56 AM   #12
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks again to everyone responding. This general guideance is exactly what I hoped for.

Scattershot, how long every morning did you run your generator?
Old 03-03-2006, 04:54 AM   #13
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
About an hour, while we were having breakfast. The main concern was the furnace. Below 10V, the lights, etc. would work, but the sail switch in the furnace wouldn't kick on, resulting in a fan blowing cold air, but no heat. Dunno why it would work that way, but it does.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote