Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
Montana_4911
Established Member

M.O.C. #4911
Finding Good Stops along the way

Hello Gang,

I am new to the 5th wheel driving.

When driving long distances each day, like 500-600 miles, where would be good fuel locations / and restuarant's along the way that on a regular basis have room to manauver and park.

I have heard stories of unkind 18 wheelers that have purposly damaged a travel trailer just because you park near them in a reat area.

Thanks much,

Russell - Orlando, FL

Montana_4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Hi and Welcome to the MOC Family. Always glad to see another Floridian join the family.

Today's modern truck stops, now called "Travel Plazas, Travel Stops, Travel Centers, etc. have set up parking, fueling and even dump sites and propane areas specifically for RVers. These areas are out of the way of the 18 wheelers. For the diesel owners, these "truck stops" have fresher diesel fuel than that little Hess station next door and most "truck stops" have some very good restaurants.
Lorraine and I will rarely pass a Flying J. We get an extra penny discount on a gallon of fuel and they have a great buffet. Another great RV Friendly restaurant is The Cracker Barrel. They have an area set-up for RV/Bus parking that is easy in and out.

Quote:
quote:I have heard stories of unkind 18 wheelers
Please don't believe everything you have heard. In the 2 years of full timing I have never, ever had any kind of situation/confrontation between me and a big rig driver nor have I ever witnessed one. Actually to the contrary, I have set in rest areas BSing with the Big Rig drivers. You would be surprised at how many Big Rig drivers are also RVers. In most cases, if someone "claims" to have been harassed by a trucker they either parked where they didn't belong or maybe even did something stupid on the hiway like cutting off that big rig as they exited the hiway or driving in the passing lane below the posted speed limit. I have been on the receiving end of more ignorant RV drivers(?) making stupid manuveurs than truck drivers and there are many more trucks on the road than RVs.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:33 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
N5IBM,
Hello Russell and welcome to the MOC. It is a great place to get all kinds of good RV info. We use the "Next Exit" which shows you what you can look for adjacent to the interstates. Excellent book. Gives you Big Rig accessibility info which can be very helpful in unknown situations.

5 to 6 hundred miles per day is a long haul but if you have to travel that far then that's what you have to do.

Your user name would indicate you are a ham radio operator. A 2M or 440 rig can sure help when coming into a new area to find out about road conditions as well as fuel stops and eating places. Of course you can get recommendations on RV parks too. It doesn't alway work but usually local hams are more than willing to help you out.

We use the big RV books that rate RV parks for our basic stop planning. The books can sometime be misleading but we've found them to be quite accurate and very informative.

There are several other helpful books. Several folks use the Truckers Guide. I'm sure someone will come along with more specific info.

If you are an Escapee member then you can get their Boondocking Guide. It lists all sorts of valuable info mostly geared toward boondocking but it does contain other useful info.

I have to agree with Glenn regarding the truckers. As a group I've really been impressed. These folks are professional. We've parked in some of their truck stops and taken up one of their spots. Not once have any of them said or done anything nasty to us. I'm sure there are some problems out there but I've yet to see one. No. I am not and have never been a truck driver. Don't even know any truck driver on a personal level. I'm just impressed with their professionalism.

Good luck.

HamRad, KA6TZP
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:26 AM   #4
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I have to agree with Glenn and Dennis. Most big rig drivers are very professional and aren't out to get you. But remember, they are trying to make a living and they get paid by the mile. I spend more time watching my rear view mirrors than the windshield when I have trucks behind me. I try to get out of their way, make room for them to pass or what ever it takes so they don't have to loose a gear on a long hard pull. They run around 80,000 lbs loaded and like to keep up their momentum. Just give them the same consideration you expect to get from them and your trip will be much easier. I have never had a problem parked between big rigs.

drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:29 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Russel,
Glenn and Dennis have covered it for me. KO4A is my call. I run 2,440 and 27 mhz. HF is in the trailer.
If your are curtious to the big rigs I find they will be the same to you.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:26 AM   #6
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Welcome, Russell. At 500-600 miles a day, you certainly need to put a lot of miles behind you in a short amount of time and I'm guessing you're using the Interstates. If that is the case, you might think about getting the "Next Exit" book from Camping World. It not only lists all the RV-friendly fuel stops and restaurants (printed in red so they're easy to spot at a glance), it lists all the businesses at a particular exit. It also lists the "picnic areas," smaller parking areas with tables and "parking areas," larger areas without facilities that are designed for nothing more than parking big rigs and RVs.

We've found the book to be quite helpful.

Good luck with your travels!

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:26 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
A GPS will also help you find fuel stops and restaurants but not necessarily for RVers. Besides all of the above helps we also look for large shopping centers. You can usually park in several spaces away from the normal parking area. That is how Wal-Mart got so popular with RVers, they usually have big parking lots. We have only once ever had anything negative with truckers. The last day of the 4th of July weekend on the 80 in Calif. coming from Reno, two truckers were lamenting (crudely) on the CB about all the Calif. people who can't stay home. What did they expect on a holiday weekend! They were also making crude remarks about attractive women in the traffic jam so you just figure these two did not have much class. On the other side I have been helped by truckers when driving in snow storms (Upstate New York) and in unfamiliar areas (Mountains in West Virginia). Truckers are like everyone else - some bad and a lot good.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:45 AM   #8
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
My son is an overthe road big rig driver. He has seen some stupid RV drivers and some stupid truckers, but doesnen't understand why a trucker would risk all the lost time, liability, paperwork, possible lost job, just to tick off an RVer.
Personnaly, I always ask the big rig drivers for road conditions, helpful tips, etc. After 15,000 miles and 4 months on the road this summer, they have all been great and will help any way they can, especially with advice.
I did have one trucker go at least 90 mph blow by me on the right side of an interstate at a work zone when the right lane was ending. He took out 2 traffic cones, too. But, about 3/4 of a mile down the road, he was on the side buying very expensive tickets to the police benvolent society.
The next exit and the Truckers Guid, we use noth and they are great. Ony problem with the next exit is they only cover interstates. They are usually available at larger truck stops (if they are not sold out) My son gave us his 2004 copies when he got 2005 ones. We have yet to find them incorrect but sometimes a bit misleading.
A tip. When using these books, if there are a lot of entries for a particular exit number, it probably means a major business area and a lot of traffic.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:35 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by N5IBM

Hello Gang,

I am new to the 5th wheel driving.

When driving long distances each day, like 500-600 miles, where would be good fuel locations / and restuarant's along the way that on a regular basis have room to manauver and park.

I have heard stories of unkind 18 wheelers that have purposly damaged a travel trailer just because you park near them in a reat area.

Thanks much,

Russell - Orlando, FL
Russell,
We never schedule any travel over 250-300 miles per day. We usually leave from where we are around 9:00 am and arrive at some destination after 250-300 miles about 1:30-2:00 pm. Gives us time to set up, take a shower and relax before supper (dinner for some folks). I don't get near as tired either.

We have never encountered any problems with 18 wheelers. In fact, just the opposite. I never fail to flash my lights when one passes me so that he knows I'm ready for him to pull back into my lane. Most of them will flash their tail lights to thank me.

I'm sure there are some "cowboys" out there who think RVs are a nuisance because they don't go fast enough to suit them. Just let them go. We travel just under 60 mph on the Interstates and I stay in the right lane.

I have more trouble with cars that pass me and cut right back in causing me to have to brake. These are the "idiots" out there that will give you the most problems.

Although we travel the Interstates and have all the "books" we need for travel, we do use a lot of the US and State highways. You'd be surprised what you will see along these routes. Very scenic.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've never had any trouble with truckers in any rest area or truck stop. I try to be courteous and not block them or anyone in. After filling I pull forward so the next one can move up to the pumps while I go in and pay for fuel. Most truckers I've run across are very friendly and polite.

In rest areas, park towards the rear of the truck/rv stall so truckers coming down the access road don't think there's an open slot there and start to turn in, only to find you way up front in the stall. In other words, use common courtesy and I doubt you'll have any problem.

I do not allow ANY driver to intimidate me. I don't care if it's a car or a huge semi. If they are following too close I will either turn on my flashers or I will hold my foot on the brake for a few seconds while making sure I don't slow down to let them know they are too close. I have as much right to the road as they and if they think I'm driving too slowly, then go around. I've rarely had any problem with this, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:10 PM   #11
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have found the the truckers are only trying to do there job. Deliver the load. I always try to flash my lights when they are far enough ahead for them to safely pull back in after passing me and most will flash back thanking me for the courtesy. I had one trucker come on the radio and warn me of a tire going flat on the trailer. Yes there are a few that spoil it for everyone. Just like there are afew Rv'rs that give the rest of us a bad name as well.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:32 PM   #12
Montana_4911
Established Member

M.O.C. #4911
Moc2891,

How has your King Ranch worked out ?

I am about to purchase a diesel, and have always been a Ford customer, however I have heard the 6.0 has had many problems.

I will be pulling 5th wheels about 100,000 miles a year and wany me and my daughter to be in a reliable truck.

I have a very reliable Ford Explorer http://clik.to/My2000FordExplorer but will never see that again in any Ford. 350,000 + miles and all the important equipment is still original Ford.

What is your engine style, and rear axle ratio ? And what is your fuel mileage at no more than 65 MPH ?

Thanks,
Montana_4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:46 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Russell, hope you don't mind if I add my nickel's worth. The 6.0 early problems are long over. We're thrilled with the way it tows this very heavy Montana. I see no need to add any chip or reprogrammer. It does a great job as it is.

Our mileage slowly improved as it broke in. Both our 2003 6.0 and this 2005 took a significant jump in mileage at about 30,000 miles. We put 51k on the 2003 and have put 37k on this one in its first 12 months. Highway mileage solo at 65mph ranges from 18-22 depending on wind and terrain. I've got as high as 23.6 (per trip computer) but that trip we had a drop in elevation of about a thousand feet or so and no wind. Towing at 65mpg we get anywhere from 10 to 13 depending again on wind and terrain. On a recent 300 mile trip where we had a significant net gain in elevation of several thousand feet plus lots of ups and downs over small mountain ranges and a headwind of 25 to 35 with gusts to 50 (per the radio) we averaged only 9.7. That's the worst we've done. 13.8 is the best we've done.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote