Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2005, 02:25 AM   #21
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
I don't suppose there is any easy way to know if your getting diesel fuel or not when you go to pump. This is a very scary situation for all diesel owners! Has this ever happened to anyone else?

DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:40 AM   #22
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I'm not sure that you could tell, especially if it was just a small amount of contaminant. And I'm not sure if that's going to end up being the problem here. Now that they're having to replace the fuel pump, maybe that's the culprit. Do any of you diesel experts know if the two problems (contanimated fuel and faulty pump) would act the same?

This gas company is probably going to come back and say that their fuel was fine and we'll have no way to determine otherwise.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 03:49 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, I am not an expert but do know that a clogged fuel filter or a faulty fuel pump can cause the symptoms you described. But so could gasoline in the diesel. I know we have some diesel experts here so hopefully they will see your question.

Our 2003 6.0 was one of the early ones and had the stalling problem. It would just up and die without warning. Eventually the fuel pump quit. They replaced that and the stalling problem went away. When I asked, the mechanic said he suspected a bad electronic board on the fuel pump was misinterpreting signals and shut things down, causing the stalling. When did a fuel pump stop being just a mechanical pump?

I hope they get you fixed up soon and you can get your water tank replaced, as well, and get on with your trip.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:26 AM   #24
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

I'm not sure that you could tell, especially if it was just a small amount of contaminant. And I'm not sure if that's going to end up being the problem here. Now that they're having to replace the fuel pump, maybe that's the culprit. Do any of you diesel experts know if the two problems (contanimated fuel and faulty pump) would act the same?

This gas company is probably going to come back and say that their fuel was fine and we'll have no way to determine otherwise.
1) If you did have (enough) gas in the diesel, the loss of lubrication could harm the pump I suppose.

2) Seems to me that you have a tank full of "evidence" you may be able to have tested. If the ratio of gas to diesel is high enough, that would argue against the gas having been obtained too many miles previous....

OTOH, it could be just blind dumb luck that everything happened at once.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:04 AM   #25
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I doubt that my experiene has any relavency, but I will quote an earlier post of mine. It won't hurt, even if it doesn't help:

As you see below, we have the Chevrolet Duramax with Allison transmission. It makes for a great towing vehicle. I am responding because there have been a couple of comments about the fuel filter. I'll share an "interesing" experience about that.

A month of so ago, we were on the first leg of a trip to Austin, Texas with our Montana. We spent a couple of nights at Tyler State Park to visit with friends in that city. On a Friday night we visited with friends, parking the pickup in the driveway. When we went to leave, the pickup would NOT start: battery was strong, turned the engine without fail, but not a 'spark of life' from the engine. We finally called AAA, but on a Friday night they had only one operator and it was a couple of hours before he could come. After that time and he had not arrived, I just tried once more and the engine started perfectly normally. The next day, not a hesitation in starting and we pulled the Montana on to Austin. On Monday, I was to drive the pickup to the University when, for the second time, it would not start. But by now my wife had "read the book" and noted the manual fuel pump. I utilized that instrument and got an immediate start.

My dealer's location was on our way home, so we called before leaving Austin and made an appointment. After their examination, the service manager asked, "When did you last change your fuel filter?" I told him I had no idea, but was not aware that it had ever been changed (about 45000 miles on my truck). He told me, "Your fuel filter should have been changed every 15000 miles."

Of course, the fuel filter was changed and the pickup has never again exhibited that type of behavior.

The "funny" thing is that, driving and towing, once the engine started it ran perfectly normally. Not a hesitation, no greater fuel usage. Strange but true.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:22 AM   #26
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Wow, Kind of makes you want to bring a little cup with you to the pump to make sure what's coming out of the schnozzle.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #27
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We had a situation a few years ago where gasoline was put in the kerosene tank at the gas station (we didn't get any). A lot of kerosene heaters exploded. Now anytime we get fuel Dennis always kinda sticks his nose down by the filler neck and SMELLS--the fuel of course!!
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #28
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glen had our truck serviced right before we left on our trip and keeps on top of all maintenance so I doubt that it's a filter. The Dodge people continue to say that it was a contaminated fuel problem. Thanks for all the ideas anyway.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, contaminated fuel can clog a filter. But surely the Dodge dealer would have checked that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:06 AM   #30
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
They seemed to have found that out. They thought that they had it about done and then found out that the fuel pump was also damaged. We got a note to call them so maybe they either have the fuel pump or found out we need a new motor or something in between. The is a 5 star dealer so we think they know what they're doing.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #31
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Judy, I hope this problem clears up soon and you can return to your trip, hopefully, worry free. I realize these are not the largest of the bumps in the road of life, but I believe the two of you hace earned a pleasant trip for the duration if there is any justice in the world!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #32
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thank you, Wordsmith, for your compassion. We had a wonderful trip going on before this incident. And actually it has been quite pleasant while we've been here. If you have to get stuck somewhere, this would probably be my top nomination. There's even a free shuttle bus service but there's not a lot of activity beyond seeing the park, flightseeing, and rafting. We're having good down time and getting photo albums and journals caught up. And we have WiFi! What a blessing! Connection to the forum and to our family (not necessarily mentioned in order of importance). We've meet some nice people including a couple from Alabama in a nice Big Sky who are fulltimers. I gave them a nod toward the forum, although they're already been on a little. And they had the cutest Schnauzer....
Old 08-04-2005, 01:39 PM   #33
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy,

Any more word on what the fix is?? And when it will be done??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #34
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Right now the dealer is waiting for the fuel pump to arrive. Glen is supposed to call them in the morning. Once it is fixed, Glen has to ride up to Fairbanks and drive back with the truck.

If it all goes smoothly, we might pull out on Saturday, which would be perfect because we have reservations in Seward, south of Anchorage. Everything will have to fall into place for us to leave on Saturday. Thanks for asking, Carol.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:46 PM   #35
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
We're keeping fingers crossed for you Judy for your departure on
Saturday. Will be anxiously awaiting word.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:06 PM   #36
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks so much, Sharon. I'm really looking forward to a nice long stay in Seward - six days of fishing.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #37
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Judy,
What are you doing about your fresh water tank?
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:30 PM   #38
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We missed our appointment on Monday. We wrote to the RV dealer and told them that we may not be there for two weeks. As long as we have a water connection, we're okay. We have our week's reservation in Seward and then the next week my brother and his wife are coming from the States so we don't want to be tied up in repair work while they're here. It might have to be the week of August 22nd. Thanks for asking, Sue
Old 08-05-2005, 01:53 AM   #39
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
Hey Judy and Glen,
I see the sun peeking through those clouds on your picture, everything will be great. Enjoy.
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:07 AM   #40
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
WE all got our fingers crossed for ya! (course, we are all a weeeeeeeee bit jealous of WHERE you are stranded!)
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote