Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Speeding tickets - Illinois

I received the following e-mail regarding changes in Illinois speeding fines:

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July.
Second offense tickets are $1,000 with license suspension. Beginning
in July the State of Illinois will use speed cameras in areas designated as "work zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by the devices will be mailed a $375 ticket for the first offense, but a second ticket will cost $1000 and comes with a 90-day license suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allows insurance companies to raise their insurance rates. This represents the harshest penalty structure yet for a city using photo enforcement. The state will begin with two camera vans issuing tickets in zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH.
Photographs of both the driver's face and license plate are taken.
Pass it on to everyone you know!!!!!!!!! Click on the link and read
more............ [/url]

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I wonder what type of radar or speed enforcement device they are using with the cameras? Will a Cobra, Passport or similar (radar)detection device work for drivers using one or is this new technology? I wonder how long the picture taking will last. A few years back here in Florida they tried doing this and it wound up getting thrown out in court. I dont remember exactly why it was thrown out but it was and currently it is not used. However, they do use cameras on toll booth runners and traffic light runners(very limited). Interesting stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support speed limit enforcement in work zones. It's just crazy to be speeding at 70 in a posted 45 MPH work zone where workers are only feet from the roadway.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree. During my college years I worked summers for the state highway department. My brother currently works for them. During the summer of 1966 I was walking next to an older gentleman, also a highway department employee, when he turned to cross a rather unpopulated highway to get to his truck while I continued walking forward to mine. I heard the screeching tires and turned just in time to see him hit by a 1963 Ford Galaxy 500 that had braked to 55 mph (speed limit 70) by the time it hit him, according to the police report. It was not the driver's fault, Carl turned without looking, but it's something I don't ever want to experience again. Especially from the drivers seat. Those behind me may get angry but work zone speed limits get my full attention. By the way, Carl lived two more years but never got out of the hospital in that time. The driver's wife was 7 or 8 months pregnant. I never heard whether she lost the baby. Sorry to throw a wet blanket on this thread but you probably figured out this is an emotional issue for me. Thanks for tolerating my story.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Being that I work in construction I have no sympathy for speeders in a work zone. I also think that part of the penalty should be to work a few days with a crew as a flagger or something just to see what it is like. On behalf of all road construction workers please slow down and cut us a little slack in Illinois and all states. Why do we need laws to do what is decent?
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
In Saskatchewan, it is an offence to pass any emergency vehicle that is stopped at more than 60 kph. Those tickets are spendy not to mention, they make you look like a jerk. These people are trying to make our lives safer. I think we should gladly return the favor and slow down.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:18 AM   #6
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Agree with what's been said. Only my opinion, but I think the speed limit should be lower altogether in populated areas. A 70 mph speed limit in heavy traffic areas just does not make sense to me!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
owenwetzel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3344
Hey ya'll. Indiana has a law if emergency vehicles have vehicles stopped or have lights flashing you must change lanes or slow down when passing them, or pay a fine up to 10.000 dollars. Also hefty fines for speeding in work zones.
I've been driving commercial trucks for 42 years and the Lord has blessed me with no tickets or accidents. Never saw a reason to take chances and have no sympathy for those who need cheaters and still get caught.
Will be retiring at end of this year and we are already fulltimers as of Feb. 15 05. Going to take our time and enjoy the sights.
owenwetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:20 AM   #8
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Owen,
We have the same law regarding emergency vehicles here in Florida and the fine is stiff. The law came about due to just too many officers getting hit by passing vehicles during traffic stops. I think it was a year or two ago that a Trooper was killed along the interstate during a traffic stop and very soon after the law was passed.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote