Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Winter Storage

I will be storing the new Month on our almost level pad next to the garage. To get level I need three 1 inch boards on the door side. Should I store it this way (level) for the 3-4 month of winter, or just let her stand a little crooked? I just don't want to hurt her!! :-)

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I would store it level on the axles. However, I would actually put the high side on wood also which means bringing the door side up one more plank. I believe insulating the tire from the ground helps them for long storage. Also put some sort of tire cover over them for UV protection. Also make sure the tires are up to the full inflation rate for the long storage. Yep lots of alsos.
My though is storing level is better than having it stored with a list. Now I have to countered that thought with the for and aft level and leave one end higher than the other just to help rain run off. Go figure.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have always put the camper up on boards just to keep the tires off the ground.We turn off the fridge so no reason to keep it real level side to side , does not hurt though..We keep the front at a severe down level to let the snow melt off and so that condensation in the various tanks will flow downward and mix with the anti freeze that we add to every tank,(a gallon or so) We cover the tires with large black trash bags, does the job for pennies instead of dollars.We also are able to keep power on to the camper so that the batteries keep a charge and when it gets to zero and below we keep some 90 watt light bulbs burning in the camper.We keep a electric heater in the camper and on those -20 days we light it up..at -20 or -30 degrees plastic become so brittle it will break. The good news is that this will be the last winter we will have to do this..I will miss it....not...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have always tried to keep our campers as level as possible. You never know when you may have to spend a little time in in due to power outages or have a guest stay over.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We are pouring extra cement so we can be level on our pad beside the house. Although we are NOT winter storing, I still think it is better for the structure to be level. We do use it as a guest house also so leveling is important.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
During the winter months my rig is as level and as stable as I can possibly get it. We keep the rig fully stocked with groceries and other essentials. The Frig/Freezer is operating fully. The A/C is generally on but on occasion we do turn up the heat. It is parked in west central Florida where it never freezes. That's how we do the "Winter Storage" thing.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I like Glenn's winter storage the best. Sure wish I could be saying the same thing instead of I keep mine indoors all winter. Was going to put boards under the tires but forgot when backing it into the garage. Since the floor is concrete not to worried, and being in the garage not worried about snow, ice or sun damage. Guess it is the next best thing to being in the south for the winter.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote