Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2005, 07:45 AM   #21
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Thunderman

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sunseekers

We have tried a lot of the things that were already stated. Decon was consumed by the box and still had critters. The thing that works for us is to have Victor traps (new & old style) around the rig. We load them with peanut butter and put 2 in the basement and 2 behind the return vent. I put wing nuts on this vent so that it is easier to deal with than the orginal screws.
Sunseekers,
Return vent? Bring me in out of the dark.....which vent are you speaking of? Thanks!

It is the vent that is located under our refer (about 15" square) This is in a 2003 2955RL. It is an area that you can access back of hot water heater - it is just a lot of wasted space but allows critter to run free and into sink area. Hope this description helps?

Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #22
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Sunseekers,
Thanks for the information.....we don't have mice now but did last year at the hunting lease. Used the old Victor mouse trap and peanut butter as mentioned earlier. We caught most of the critters under the kitchen sink. On our 2955RL that would be near the water pump.
I plan on putting steel wool around the water lines as they come through the floor to the pump. I have already put steel wool in the front storage compartment where the water lines are. I picked up some wire mesh material (rain gutter cover) from Home Depot to cover the steel wool. The mesh is available in short pieces as well as a larger quantity. My next area to cover will be the open area around the front jacks. I hope to use a wire mesh there as well, thus leaving the area open for ventilation. Propane bottles are in the same compartment. Maybe we need to cover the inside of the hot water cover with mesh. Thanks, Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:46 AM   #23
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
As someone who has been fighting a battle with red squirrels (and losing) for two years, I am at wits end. These red squirrels may not be smarter than me (not sure about that) but they are more single minded. I have trapped two and deported them a few miles away, and have set live traps daily for a month. More often than not the bait is gone, with the trap sprung but empty or not sprung at all. I have used a whole roll of steel wool in one hole and they just chewed through it and pulled the rest out. Almost anything I do works for a while till they figure it out and defeat it. I am now looking for a more permanent solution that I can keep other critters away from. They do seem to like Decon........
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:03 AM   #24
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
So far we have no mouse problems, but maybe it is because our cats like to sleep under the Montana.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #25
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
I tried the sticky traps and they didn't work. The mice were able to pull themselves off of them leaving some fur on the trap. One of the traps was chewed up pretty good as well.
I then tried the old spring traps baited with peanut butter. No luck with them also. I put 5 traps out. 4 of them had the peanut butter eaten and the traps weren't sprung. This is getting to be a serious mission.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:32 PM   #26
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
I think they sell those sticky traps in various levels of stick... some for bugs and mice... others (much more gooey) for rats.. mebbe it's time to use much stronger methods.. yo might check the auto parts stores for a spray that keeps the wee beasties off the wiring.. I think it was called mouse out.. We used it on trucks in our office compound in South East Ks when we had all the wiring eaten by pack rats.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote