Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2005, 02:48 AM   #1
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Door Window

Just spotted a Monty in camp that had the door window done with a really pretty stain glass film. I have done this at home but I didn't think about it for the RV. You can purchase it at Lowes or Home Depot in the wallpaper dept. The one I have at home is of Wisteria. But they have several different films. You just spray the window with water and attach it to the window. Really looks pretty. Cost is about $7. Kathi

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kathi, if I may add something to your excellent suggestion -- we did this on ours. When you take the screws out of the frame to remove the glass, be sure someone is on the other side to keep the frame on that side and the glass from falling out. Also, we had a little bit of trouble getting the film around the edges to not bubble when we put the glass back in the door. What finally worked for us was to wrap the film around the other side about two inches and secure it with duct tape, silicone caulk, or other means. Then put the window back in and trim off that extra film with a sharp knife.

Also, the inside of the glass is etched and the outside is smooth. We wanted the film to be on the inside, out of the elements. To make that work we had to reverse the glass so the smooth side is on the inside.

Great idea, Kathi! Not only does it look nice, it cuts down on the glare of the sun while allowing light through. We've been very pleased with ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Kathi..... Your post reminded me that I had emailed a window company (darned if I can remember their name at the moment) and asked if they can adapt our Montana door/window and put in a "window-fashion-between-the-glass" that they are famous for. I haven't heard back from them and it's been probably two months. I wonder if I stumped them or if they are ignoring me.....?

I'm at work on a break right now so when I get home later tonite, I'll have to check on that and send them another email.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Nice idea and inexpensive. I purchased a stairglass window "hummingbird hovering over flower". Made sure the colors complimented the Montana decign. $190 installed. Expensive, but I just love it over that "bathroom" glass for the front door.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:49 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks for the info Kathi. We have been wanting stained glass in our door for quite a while and you sure can't beat the price. A big thanks to Steve for the installation help.

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Ohh. I want one! What a good idea.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Several of our neighbors have used this film on our little skinny window by the front door here in our stick house neighborhood. Looks really nice and I was going to just stick in on for the Monty but I appreciate Steve's installation guidelines. Thanks.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I replaced my door window as Steve described (glad I had a friend to help with this, or we would have had a disaster on our hands!). I took the original window to a glass shop, ordered the same size in clear tempered glass, then installed it. My main purpose was to see who was at the door if someone knocked, since I couldn't see out the window in my previous 3295RK (because of entertainment center and kitchen). When I moved into the 3670RL, I took the clear glass window with me. I added a stick-on etching of a Kokopelli, easy to do with glass cleaner (Windex) getting it really wet, then squeejying (is that a word?) it to make it stick. It's been on since May 2004 and hasn't come off yet. I bought it in Quartzsite, AZ. They are also sold at other RV rallies like Escapades.

Warning: if you replace the glass, be sure to get the same grade of tempered glass, since you'll be rolling down the road, weathering storms, etc. with that window protecting your interior.

Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
We purchased a stain glass window in Algondones, MX. this past winter. Its colors complimented the graphics on the Monty. They have hundreds of different ones in the shops there, just south west of Yuma. We bargained for ours as everyone does and got it for $35 and it is beautiful real glass. Every shop in Algondones has a window frame just like in the door so you can imagine what it looks like. We just replaced the regular glass with the stained glass one and put silicone seal around the edges and it has been very attractive.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote