Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #21
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Well gang all I can say is that the roofs are strong. I hit the scales over 275 and have been all over our Monty. I really think that we all need to find a gym and possibly less burgers on the grill. At any rate, it is all in fun. Our units are built pretty dang good.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:01 AM   #22
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I'm up on the roof every time we leave a CG. Only used the unit 3 times since October though. I sweep the slides off before leaving on a trip out or returning. Just a matter of keeping the debris out from the inside. I didn't have a ladder on my last unit and found all kinds of debris after operating the slide to the in position. Fortunately I could stand on top of the cooler and tiptoes and run a broom across the top.

NJHillbilly is so right about the ladder being the weakest link. Where the fiberglass bumps out in the rear below the window is the most flex. I'm waiting for the fiberglass to show signs of the gelcoat cracking with the flexing that occurs. I hope this dosen't happen but maybe keystone should beef up this area behind the fiberglass to prevent the flexing. Seems as if a little structure support wouldn't add that much weight.

BTW: since we are confessing I'm 225 5' 11". Can't wait for winter to be over here in New England. First planned outing 15 Apr. Cant wait. Had to pull the rig out yesterday, for my son to push a car behind it. Not too much fun in the yard with the Ice and Snow pack.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:44 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wordsmith, Vicki and I both were on our roof taking pictures at the September rally. Between us we weigh, harumph, let's say more than you. I'm at 194 last weighing. I've been up there many times.

By the way, the 2005 models have the steel trusses. Yours and ours are aluminum but still are plenty strong. They were changed to steel to keep condensation down. At least I think that's what was said by Keystone folks at the Tampa show. Your Montana year and model is the same as ours. Truck, too. But I wish I had your superglide. Sigh.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:07 AM   #24
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Good to hear from you again, Steve! I just got back from 10 days at Unicoi SP outside of Helen, Georgia. Overall, a great trip with six absolutely beautiful days and four rainy ones. In baseball, those statistics will get you a long way toward the postseason, so I will take those any day.

I have not ventured on the roof yet, but I will get brave enough one day!

Oh, that SuperGlide is muy nice!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #25
Montana_1988
Established Member

M.O.C. #1988
250 here. No problems on roof. I was up there today checking things out. On mine, if I look through the skylight over the shower I can see the 3/8 wood in the roof and I can also see the aluminum truss rafter.
Montana_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Shoot, Wordsmith. I see on S&T that Unicoi is only 117 miles from here. Had I known that maybe we could have run down to meet you folks on one of those rainy days we both had. Of course, that's through the park and is probably a rather slow 117 miles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #27
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Yeah, Steve, it would have been great to meet you and Vicki in person; we could even have met half way.

Food for thought, if you want to consider it, the Tour de Georgia—in which Lance Armstrong is competing again this year—is going up Brasstown Bald on Saturday, April 23. We wanted to go last year, but found one excuse after another not to go. Last fall when we drove up to the parking lot at Brasstown Bald and saw all of the graffitti on the road, we said that if Armstrong came back this year, we would be there, and so we intend to be. We are making preliminary plans now to spend Friday night at either the lodge at Amicolola SP or Unicoi SP and then drive up to Brasstown Bald early Saturday. If you—or anyone else—is interested, perhaps we could try to get together. Brasstown Bald is about 20 miles north of Unicoi. Marsha and I figure we will not have too many more opportunities to see Lance race this close by home.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote