Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Antifreeze and Pets Beware

I have been reading the thread about the Pink Stuff. I am curious for those in the know...... is this antifreeze toxic to animals like car antifreeze is?

If so please be careful when draining and disposing of your antifreeze as it can kill a pet. Pets can walk in it and lick their paws and get very ill or possibly die. Not sure why they like antifreeze so much, but why do they like to eat peacock poo? We have 60 peacocks and alot of the boarding dogs think it is candy... Yuck.

Our four legged friends thank you for being careful.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well Colleen you will be glad to know that RV Antifreeze or pink stuff as some call it is non toxic. Has to be to be able to run through a drinking water system, so rest easy.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen,

NOT sure, but as always a good reminder.

They say you can drink that pink stuff, not sure WHO would, or who could stand to swallow it, but they say you can. BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, ewwwwwwwwwwwwww yuckkkkkkkkkkkk!!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101
Well Colleen you will be glad to know that RV Antifreeze or pink stuff as some call it is non toxic. Has to be to be able to run through a drinking water system, so rest easy.
Thanks for the information, I am really glad to hear that it is not toxic to pets. I hadn't even thought about it being in our water lines. Since we live in a relatively warm state we don't run into all of the stuff alot of you do. We have an average of 13 nights below freezing in our winter season. I guess that is why we have lots of license plates from out of state starting right about now. I am not sure if Hubby will even run the pink stuff through our lines in the Monty, I guess it depends on how cold it is supposed to get Friday and Saturday.

I am actually getting cold looking at all of the clocks on the boards that have the temperatures on them. I am in short sleeves and shorts. That will be changing in about 5 hours as someone forgot to close the door in Oklahoma and they are letting the cold air down here in Austin Texas.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Colleen -

It is a mixture of Propylene Glycol and Posphate Prohibiters to reduce rust. It is considered non-toxic, but excessive ingestion can cause problems. If you want to read more about it, here are the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for a -50 solution and -100 solution.

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/msds/m..._marine_af.pdf

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/msds/m..._minus_100.pdf

Interesting - the disposal method for large quantities is burning. It's almost cheaper than diesel - wonder if my Ford would burn it!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Colleen, the animals like the anti freeze because it is sweet, it actually doesn't taste too bad. I got some of the pink stuff in my mouth last night when I blew the left over stuff from the hose, and it is just as sweet as the automotive stuff. I agree with Brad though, don't drink it.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OK, guys, you convinced me, no pink stuff for the 4 yorks! And, yes, antifreeze is supposed to taste sweet, that is why pups (cats too, I would suppose) drink it.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Carol,

I don't think I want to taste either product to see if it is sweet. I will take Lonnie's word that both of them taste sweet.

Lonnie,

Thanks for taking it for the team on the taste test

Brad,

Thanks for the link, but it was way over my head. It did look like you could be at a higher fire risk than a toxic risk, unless you were an animal that wanted to drink the stuff.

Just thought I would bring it to everyones attention that the little guys might enjoy our spills.

Colleen