Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #1
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
time is not on our side

I `ve been reading other forum boards and have noticed some pretty stupid questions by people this is one of them. Yes the common answer is there are no stupid questions but there is a limit and it makes me scared to think these people are on the road driving near me driving big motor homes with absolutely no idea of what they are doing.

Title and question as follows

What does "No Trucks over X Tons..." mean to an RV?
I see these signs a lot. My coach is like 11 tons. Usually the X is a lot smaller than 11. But I'm not driving a truck, it's a motorhome.

Am I allowed to proceed?

I went down one such road when I didn't see the sign until too late. Nothing bad happened. Did I just get lucky or does the sign only apply to commercial trucks and not RVs?

In his signature he had a big Newmar listed

Here is another example of this no words needed. They closed the bridge after some one sent a copy of this video to the DOT. weight limits don`t apply to buses just trucks , right??????????????????????????

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The stupidity of some people cannot be over estimated.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Just don't follow them too closely. It takes all kinds for the world to go around. Stupid is not fixable.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
The problem is with the states. One should have to at least take a written test and have an endorsement on the license before one can take delivery on a rig.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This is one reason I don't use the GPS that came with my truck. My RV GPS knows what we weigh and at least to date has never put me in that situation.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
In defense of the no trucks over xxx question, I used to live on a residential street that led into an industrial area about a half mile from the arterial street. There were several other ways to access the industrial area directly without going through the neighborhood. There was no reason to restrict trucks other than wanting to keep them from bothering the residents. There would be no issue driving a large motor home or even a moving van down that street. There are instances like this all over the country.
That being said....you're absolutely right, I see some of the dumbest questions being asked on some of the other forums. Now this may sound biased, but I actually did say, to my wife while reading another general RVing forum "motor home owners ask the dumbest questions". Nothing scares me more when driving, than to think that the person driving that brand new huge RV has never driven anything bigger than a Cadillac!
Old 02-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
All I can say is WOW!!!!

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:11 PM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Amazing! Over the weight and height limit.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:30 AM   #9
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
I'll bet, from the drivers seat, the RV/bus operator did not notice anything out of the ordinary while crossing. We, from the cheap seats got the full perspective. Makes you wonder how many others similarly overweight attempted this before this video came to light and the bridge was closed appropriately by the DOT. Too bad that some oblivious and/or self entitled dolts ruined that crossing for all the rest that obeyed the rules.

Maybe the "No trucks over x tons" needs to be rewritten as "No vehicles or combinations over X tons" (except by special permit only in certain situations such as Theunz's pointed out.) Bridge limits should have no exceptions. Either way you can't fix stupid as the saying goes. Some people think they own the road. Of course for them, that road is paved with good intentions and is the Highway to Hell... sooner or later.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Actually that video has been around for a long time. If I recall the story correctly, that "RV" shown in the video is actually a commercial tour bus. It escapes me why that company was using that bridge but it has been closed I believe.

However, you do make a good point. I recently read a thread where a 75 year old plus widow wanted to start full time RVing and she wanted to stay below 32 feet in length or so. When pressed on why a shorter RV, she admitted that she had no depth perception plus had never driven anything larger than a small car.

Everyone was responding with "good for you" and suggesting different RVs.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #11
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
and off to the races

I don`t indicate it`s an RV it clearly shows a commercial bus using the bridge. Just brought up to show the what happens when you overload a bridge.

So you like that one here`s another AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH yes it`s true.

And they drive among us. Sorry this is very worry some to me and this is why I will not follow any one towing anything or driving a motor-home to closely. Believe me when I say I don`t feel I am the best driver on the highway but an observant person I am ( saved my butt more than once in Vietnam)and have learned a lot through life from this and reading a great deal.

From another forum board as follows

Overpass marking

Ok first I’m sorry for not knowing and wasn’t for lack of googling ok, and checking with DOT website so here is my question, while traveling on Pensilvanya turnpike I notice that some overpasses have a yellow signage that read example 12’ 1” other will have 12’ 6” other yet have 13’ ok not only freak me out because of course was too late if anything would had happened no signs before hand indicating anything, how about at night? Ok so what is that signs all about? On all the overpasses after the first one I drove on the left side I’m sure I did not make too many friends.*

"I think that only applies to commercials vehicles, right Honey"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1200px-Durham--Gregson_Street_Guillotine_01.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	3077  
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Low overpasses will get the inattentive or unobservant every time. A low underpass near me has an incident about once a week. Mostly commercial trucks due to the location, near an intermodal rail yard. If the "pros" can't do it, what makes anybody else think they are somehow magically immune? Concrete and steel are very unforgiving... one ignores that fact at their peril.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 02-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #13
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Bridges around the SE do not specify 'trucks'. They state 'weight limit XX tons'. No matter the license endorsement many or most have no clue of the weight of their rig. Federal regs require semi drivers to pass a test for their CDL. How can they pass when many today cannot read English and have limited ability to speak English? Even those that can cause problems. Go to 11'8.com and watch hundreds of trucks and a few campers hit that bridge ~ commercial CDL drivers mostly. Search for 'semi trucks sink bridge' for a sample of pics like this.
Attached Images

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #14
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
I `ve been reading other forum boards and have noticed some pretty stupid questions by people this is one of them. Yes the common answer is there are no stupid questions but there is a limit and it makes me scared to think these people are on the road driving near me driving big motor homes with absolutely no idea of what they are doing.

Title and question as follows

What does "No Trucks over X Tons..." mean to an RV?
I see these signs a lot. My coach is like 11 tons. Usually the X is a lot smaller than 11. But I'm not driving a truck, it's a motorhome.

Am I allowed to proceed?

I went down one such road when I didn't see the sign until too late. Nothing bad happened. Did I just get lucky or does the sign only apply to commercial trucks and not RVs?

In his signature he had a big Newmar listed

Here is another example of this no words needed. They closed the bridge after some one sent a copy of this video to the DOT. weight limits don`t apply to buses just trucks , right??????????????????????????

This is an old, one lane suspension bridge across the White River in Beaver, AR. Not only is it well marked, concerning weight & height, it "looks" like it won't support a lot of weight when you approach it.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #15
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
It was closed for inspection and repair. Also, about a mile before you get to the bridge, there is a large warning sign about the bridge and its limitations.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #16
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
There's no cure for stupid - but there can be some interesting outcomes.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:33 PM   #17
OzMonties
Established Member

M.O.C. #22325
Stupidity is often confused with Ignorance, but the two like to keep close company!
I generally term ignorance as someone not having the information on a given subject needed to make a decision that has a known outcome, its an unknown unknown.
Stupid though, comes in a few flavours.
Ignorant stupid, is making a poor choice, when you had the ability to research you’re options but instead chose to ‘wing it’, and you screwed up!
Plain old Stupid?
That’s Joe Blogs making the same mistakes over and over again, and expecting a different outcome each time!
As for the ‘no trucks’ or load limits on roads/bridges. Those apply to you the same way a low bridge might.
Know you’re Gross weight of the truck and RV, if you weigh over the posted limit, the road is off limits to you.
Other signage may limit the use of exhaust braking in built up areas, probably doesn’t apply to you though.
As for the stupid questions? As I’ve told many apprentices I’ve trained over the years, there are No stupid questions, just stupid people who didn’t stop and ask the questions to get the information they need to make an informed decision. All of my apprentices still have all of their fingers intact.
OzMonties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #18
parksjanda
Established Member

M.O.C. #21427
Low bridges and idiots

this is what scares me....

"Slow and Safe"
parksjanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:39 PM   #19
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
You have to wonder how many more idiots are out there... by the time they all hit the bridge, a new generation will be getting behind the wheel... it will never end.

I wonder on the Penske truck rental agreements should they put a box for truck renters to check that says "I have watched the "11foot8.com" video. If not, the high number of their trucks getting destroyed might be a thing to consider.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are Ohio residents and in Ohio one can buy the biggest heaviest Rv on the market and never having been in one or driving it one inch, drive it off the lot...very scary . We
do have a CDL and have driven school buses and over the road buses. The family had a business involving trucks of all sizes and I drove all kinds of big vehicles since I was 16 years old. What we see on the road concerning RV's is very scary. IMO RV drivers are, In General among the worst on the road due to their lack of drivers training and lack of knowledge of how to hook them up . Helen and I sold RV's at the Cleveland RV show for several years and a very large number of RV buyers knew absolutely nothing about RV's. Just my opinion....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote