Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #21
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Valero in Roma, TX uses black for both

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
These high pressure fuel systems are extremely fragile on all of these trucks. They will tolerate no abuse from dirty fuel, water, running without fuel or in this case DEF. We all need to carry extra fuel filters along with extra turbo hoses.
Any pump that can run at 35,000 PSI hast to be made at extremely tight tolerances. When it goes bad it sends metal fragments through the system ruining the injectors. All the fuel lines are one time use so they are gone too.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #23
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Dodge makes the problem worse by putting the DEF in the same place as the fuel and only the DEF has a cap. The fuel only has a spring loaded door.
That is very true!!

However I have a good friend that gave me a nice aftermarket cap for the diesel fill that has DIESEL written on it. I am constantly reminding the DW that it is NOT gas it is fuel and the fuel is DIESEL!!!! I will not allow her to even say "we need gas in the truck"! It is simply to expensive a mistake to be casual about it!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:08 PM   #24
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I found that BP stations use a green handle for premium gas. I put about 10-15 gallons in and the engine ran pretty rough about 5 miles to friends house. Couldn't start it again. After letting it sit for 2 hours and it started but rough. Left it at dealer and they drained it out. Ran it another 40 to 50,000 with no problems.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #25
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
You would think the fuel refineries and fuel stations across the country would get their act together and make the same color pumps for only diesel nationwide.Also pumps that only pump diesel so not to confuse customers.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:14 AM   #26
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
Where I fill up in Ontario at the shell its a black handle, left pump. Your right you need to pay attention . I have had water in my fuel changed filter 4 times
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:04 AM   #27
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I filled up my 50 gallon tank yesterday on the east side of San Antonio, the diesel price was posted on the sign in green, at the pump the diesel nozzle had a yellow handle, the gas nozzle on the other side of the pump was black. I check twice or more and bought diesel even though the pump only pumped at the rate of about 2+ gallons per minute! Some Texas service station use green on the diesel nozzle. Why??? Beats me. For DEF, I use the 2.5 gallon jug--no pumping.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:42 AM   #28
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I have had a couple close calls in the midwest with wrong color handle covers but since I have a locking tank cap, at least have time to think about what I'm doing. I also don't buy DEF at the pump as my Ford 6.7 uses so little, even towing, that it's another 'think before you leap' condition.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:52 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We learned long ago that the sniff test is a required step before fueling diesel.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #30
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The reason I am about 99% sure this was not driver/operator error is the following information he provided me, plus he sent me a copy of his receipt.

When he pulled into that Pilot he needed some fuel in his aux tank and his truck tank. He also was low on DEF. His receipt shows he pumped 48 gallons of diesel and right at 5 gallons of DEF. Of course he left the Pilot with both diesel tanks full and the DEF topped off.

The Dodge dealer pulled samples from both his aux tank and truck tank, both had been contaminated with DEF.

The only way for that fuel to be contaminated by him would be the following. He would have had to pull the DEF nozzle from behind the plastic Pilot island cover, pump it into his DEF tank, then remove it and pump some more DEF into his aux diesel tank, then take it out of there and pump a little more into his truck diesel tank before hanging it back up.

I'm pretty certain no one could ever get that confused at a Pilot fuel stop. The only logical explanation was that the diesel he pumped into his truck diesel tank and his aux tank was already contaminated with DEF right from the underground diesel holding tank.

However, it is good for all of us to remember to slow down when fueling different vehicles especially when traveling across country. My RV uses both diesel and of course DEF, my car requires mid-grade gasoline, and my Harley needs 90-93 octane. Every vehicle I drive on a weekly basis uses a little something different plus we travel constantly. When I get out to pump I'm not socializing or talking on my phone, I'm concentrating on the job at hand at my age!
Old 11-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #31
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Unless there are others who also claim the station delivered contaminated fuel and there is no video evidence he can obtain from the station showing he properly fueled his truck, it will probably be between him and his insurance company. He could probably obtain video by getting a lawyer involved, but the cost of that could be very high.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #32
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
BP stations use green for gas and black for diesel.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #33
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Talked to my buddy today again. They are still waiting for the injector kit but are hoping it will be in yet today.

He has Progressive and has contacted them. They haven't 100% confirmed they are covering it but they didn't deny it either.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #34
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
nightmare with DEF

I thought this fit into the discussion. Do it and a 5 gallon bucket full of 100 dollar bills might be enough to cover the costs. I fill DEF tank at home when I`m not in a hurry to get back on the road. Sorry the pictures didn`t transfer but you don`t want to see them anyway, it was carnage

DEF vs. Diesel Fuel

(0 reviews)

Have you ever wondered what happens when a diesel fuel system is contaminated with diesel exhaust fluid? The damage occurs quickly and can be extensive! Diesel Exhaust Fluid or DEF, is a solution of 32.5% high purity urea and 67.5% deionized water used in the selective catalyst reduction system SCR to reduce NOx emissions. The fluid is very corrosive and it's affect on fuel system components is devastating: premature high pressure pump and fuel injector wear, debris, pitting/corrosion, distortion of materials, plugged fuel injector return line.
The images in this article are of a 2011 F350 equipped with a 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine that had an unknown amount of DEF poured into the fuel tank by accident and the truck was driven. The high pressure fuel pump actually seized while the engine was running subsequently cracking the HPFP housing in the process. As a result the HPFP drive gear which is driven by the camshaft gear sheered the key and spun on the shaft. Unfortunately the crankshaft drive gear which is shrink-fitted onto the crankshaft also spun when the pump locked up affecting base engine timing. At this point the engine was headed for total failure with the crankshaft and camshaft now effectively un-timed. Piston to valve contact rendered the cylinder heads, all 8 pistons, half of the 32 push rods bent and several rocker arm carriers broken and unserviceable.
Let's take a closer look:
Left, one of the first things is to take fuel samples from the fuel conditioning module and at the engine. This fitting was disconnected from the engine mounted fuel filter and given time to allow for the creation urea crystals. On the right is the primary fuel filter that was removed also to check for the presence of DEF. The resulting crystals are the proof of DEF contamination of the fuel system.

The next two things a technician should remove and inspect are the fuel pressure regulator and volume control valves. These also need to be given time to allow crystals to form and also to inspect them for signs of corrosion and rust which also can identify water contamination as well. Here both components have developed some significant crystal growth over several days verifying that the DEF had indeed made it's way into the engine's high pressure fuel system.

Here is the seized Bosch 4000 high pressure fuel pump. Internal damage caused it to lock up. The torque from the running engine split the case. Note the DEF crystals in the crack. On the right is the front gear train with the large camshaft gear on the top and the crankshaft gear below with the red arrow pointing to it. This is the gear that is shrink fit onto the crankshaft that moved when the HPFP locked up. The pump is mounted on the top front of the engine and driven by the camshaft gear. (It is not shown in the image)

With the engine un-timed the pistons contacted some of the valve. On the left are some bent push rods. The force of that contact was also enough to break a few of the valve rocker carriers. Each cylinder has one carrier assembly for all four rocker arms and the assembly on the right is broken in two.

Edited December 15, 2017 by webmaster
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The pictures are gone but you painted a very good picture without them.
Thanks.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:20 PM   #36
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
One should also remember that when fueling at truck stops and the like, IF they have the DEF and DIESEL in the same pump, the DEF nozzle will be the smallest in diameter! The diesel pump handle should be the diameter of a quarter and the DEF nozzle is about the size of a dime.

I have been fueling both,diesel and DEF for over 8 years now,multiple times a week, with not a single issue. Being slower, but safer at the pump is not always a bad thing, if it irritates the other drivers in line, then thats THIER problem, not mine!!
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #37
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I never fuel at any of the truck stops. Their prices are just to high. So as a result I use the box DEF. the fill port for the DEF is too small for the diesel nozzle to fit in.

This kind of makes it idiot proof. Helps me from doing stupid stuff.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #38
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
I never fuel at any of the truck stops. Their prices are just to high. So as a result I use the box DEF. the fill port for the DEF is too small for the diesel nozzle to fit in.

This kind of makes it idiot proof. Helps me from doing stupid stuff.

I too avoid truck stops, just don't want to have anything to do with them, just the fact that they have DEF pumps bother me . I too use ONLY the box DEF ,and plan accordingly.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On the the hand we use truck stops nearly all the time. They are RV friendly , most have a decent restaurant`, plenty of room to park the rig and are everywhere. We do not have a DEF truck but we do pay attention.In our case there is more to fueling than the price of fuel. We do get a diesel discount at FJ/ Pilot with the RV plus card.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #40
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
On the the hand we use truck stops nearly all the time. They are RV friendly , most have a decent restaurant`, plenty of room to park the rig and are everywhere. We do not have a DEF truck but we do pay attention.In our case there is more to fueling than the price of fuel. We do get a diesel discount at FJ/ Pilot with the RV plus card.

There is one that I do use on our annual trip to Montana, it has the car side, with diesel pumps, and an outside pump with plenty of room for truck, and fifth wheel, and is used by many with Rv's. No DEF pumps

And yes ,does have a restaurant
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote