Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
Jet334
Established Member

M.O.C. #20438
Jumping Slide

Hi fellow RVrs
Had some warranty work done last week on my 2017 310RE dinette/recliner slider as it was not pulling in smoothly.
Less then a week later it’s pulling in rough again,after reading other post I lubed the Two rollers underneath with Camco PTFE spray it made it even worse,I checked the walls for movement thought maybe a broken weld but walls are solid as it moves,also checked cables they seem to be tight.
Are there other rollers on this slide besides the visible ones? And yes my warranty has ended 2 days ago.

Jet334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
geobet
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19170
I have the same model. Mine doesn't have "rollers" it is a "slide bar" that the slideout rides in an out on. I had that same problem once. I solved the problem by snugging up the cables (both in and out cables) and sprayed "dry lube" (dries to a white powder) on the complete tarp material on the underside of the slideout. Ran the slideout in and back out then sprayed bottom again. Check your cables again - should be about 1/2" deflection up and down for a total of 1". I keep mine just a tad tighter. Hope that helps.
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
Jet334
Established Member

M.O.C. #20438
Thanks Geobet,Keystone has a video on servicing the cables, I’ll check it out tonight.Also I’ll try spraying the whole bottom. Only my dinette side has the rollers the other 2 have the bars like yours.
I remembered when we got home last week I didn’t level the 5er I’m hoping the problem will go away after I level, thanks for the input!
Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
davideboe
Established Member

M.O.C. #4128
Send a message via MSN to davideboe
I had jerking slides on my 2011 313RE High Country. I scrub the underside of the slide with a bar of soap and it smoothed out and the slide operates faster and smoother than without the soap. No water necessary, just the dry bar of soap scrubbed on the underside
davideboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
While at the Fall Rally this year we had the Lippert reps come over to the unit for a problem with the level-up system and the front jacks. They had me retract and extend the jacks. After watching and listening to the jacks they asked what I used to lube the jack shafts and I told them CRC dry lube with PTFE and they said that anything that contains silicone will dry out the seals both on the level-up system and the slideouts. They recommended using plain old hydraulic fluid to wipe down and lube the shafts and any slides on the slideouts. Put it on a rag and wipe the shafts and runners down with it do this several times while out on the road. This cleans them and also lubes them at the same time. I don't know what you have in the way of slides but this worked for me both on the way home from the Rally and since it's been parked after I returned. The slideout cables have to be relatively tight but must have a small amount of play in them to operate correctly. Just thought I'd jump in here and give you all the advise the Lippert reps gave to me about slides and the level-up systems.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
I also have a slide issue and just spoke to the Norco AccuSlide Tech rep and here is her advice on this issue:

first, regarding the wear bar and Dacron material on bottom of slide. Norco recommends you only use Zep45 and advises not to use any type Dry Lube or Silicone

She also advises to use nothing on the cables and pulleys. No dry lube, nothing

Also regarding cables, when the sliders are in out position and you are inside your rig where all the adjustments are made, the out cables should be tight, but not banjo tight.

For the in cables about 3-4 inches from the block, pull the in cables together and there should be about 1 inch of separation

i just did this with my rig and they are exactly as she shared they should be. The out cables are reasonably tight and the in cables while somewhat tight, have considerably more play in them and i am able to squeeze them together several inches from the block and they do have about that 1 inch of separation.
Pocketlake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Jet334
Established Member

M.O.C. #20438
Yes I also spoke to the gal at Norco and she gave me same information.
I purchased a can of Zep 45 and sprayed bottom of the problem slider and proceeded to spray the other 2
Pulled in the problematic slide first and it was sliding worse then ever....ok I tried the slide that was working great and pulled in jumping all over.
I cleaned all three slides with isopropyl 70% alcohol for 2 hours both slides pull in smooth except the one with original problem.....Dropping it off at dealer this weekend under warranty.
I would not recommend Zep 45 but tell how it works for you.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
Jet334, Not good hearing that. Just got 2 cans of the Zep45 Dual Force (is that the type of Zep 45 you used?) and now I"m real hesitant to use it. Will try it on one and see what happens. If you can't trust the manufacturer, tough to know what to do to solve issue. I know mine is not due to incorrect cable tension
davideboe's suggestion to use the soap is sounding like viable option
Old 10-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
Jet334
Established Member

M.O.C. #20438
Hi pocketlake
Yes that’s the same Zep makes 3 different lubricants Dual Force is what I used.
Lots of input on this site,what works for some not so much for others,I read as much as I can then make a decision,in my case not good.i have the weave material under my slide others have a solid vinyl maybe that was the difference.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
Jet334, thanks for reply. Yes, lot of opinions, will eventually find the right solution. I have the weave material which i was told was Dacron. I put a bit on a test area but it's only 51 degrees here in Bryce Canyon (amazing area) right now,going down to 17 tonight so probably won't soak in. Couple more days here and warming up and will try one slider so see how it works. My bedroom slider is vinyl and I have not done anything to it, just lubricated the rollers
will let you know how it goes.... Regards, Ken from Orlando traveling through all the parks in Utah this month. Zion, Lake Powell, Bryce... AMAZING
Old 10-13-2018, 06:37 AM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I have a couple slides that need adjusting - and a process that needs to be done every year or so on our 343RL. Not a big deal unless you need to move the chain a link or two on the sprocket if you run out of cable adjustment at the adjusting bar due to cable stretch, then it takes a while longer.

Looking at the Safety Data Aheet (SDS/MSDS) for the ZEP 45 makes me wonder why NORCO/BAL recommend its use since it has a high percentage of petroleum distillates/hydrocarbons plus trichloroethylene, both nasties in the atmosphere. I guess I'll stick with Blaster or similar products with PTFE.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #12
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Have the same exact 5'er and my dealer added more rollers, looked to be about every 15 inches after they had to refabricated it because it was built crooked and was tearing the floor up when it slid in and out. Haven't touched it sense with anything and still works grea2
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
I had the 2017 310 RE
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #14
Keith and Pat
Established Member

M.O.C. #22492
We attended the National Rally in Goshen, IN last month, and were fortunate to have 2 Keystone technicians look at our slides. They were literally shaking the whole trailer. I found out that 2017 models (maybe older ones as well), had a "hollow" slide bar which had collapsed. They now put in solid slide bars in the 2018 and 19 models. Keystone kept my trailer one additional day, removed the slides, and replaced the slide bars with the solid ones. They now work better than they ever did. My trailer was 8 months out of warranty, but they did this at no charge.
Keith and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #15
Jet334
Established Member

M.O.C. #20438
Now that’s interesting information thank you Keith and Pat, I’m going down to the dealer tomorrow to see what they found.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #16
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
Finally got home and had the slider bumping issue while on our trip. Took the advise of Norco to use Zep45. That did not work, at all. The service manager at my local Camping World is an A plus person, honest and knowledgeable. Followed his advice. Used alohol to remove the Zep. Applied the Dry Lube to the bottom of the slider, let it set for a couple hours. Was a bit nervous since it seems so sticky and the instructions say nothing about about applying it to the wear bar and Dacron material on bottom of the slider. Seemed to soak in after a couple of hours Has completely solved the problem. Slider is smooth going in and out, no jumping or bumping, which all started when I had a brain fart and applied silicone to the wear bar due to some minor squealing. NEVER use silicone. The dry lube works great
Old 10-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #17
Jet334
Established Member

M.O.C. #20438
Hi ken,
Glad you had good results with the slide,which dry lube did you use?
My dealer called today said the slide is smooth as silk now,He said they adjusted the cables and used a Baby powder underneath,He also said that the slide works much better when the landing gear is down and level haha like how else would I pull the slide out! We’ll see tomorrow when I pick it up.
Next stop may be Pendleton factory.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #18
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
Howard, good to hear your dealer took care of your issue as well. Baby powder is very interesting solution and makes sense. I used a product made by Protect All. Just called Slideout Dry Lube. It works but I still have some concerns about what I consider the stickiness, even thou a lube. I want to make sure over time when rig sets up a while it doesn't sort of "glue" the wear bar to the bottom of slider. I Might experiment and use alcohol to remove the lube and see if it continues to slide smoothly anyway. in Any case I think using least amount possible is best. Still disappointed Norco was not able to provide a good solution for the issue, but oh well. Safe travels to you. Ken