Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Send a message via AIM to Rudi and Ellen
Transporting a Kayak

Does anyone carry a kayak with them?....and where do you carry it on the Montana?

Rudi and Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:07 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
An Alaska we saw many rigs carrying a short boat on top of the truck itself. They built a frame to support the part that extended over the hood, but I guess a kayak would be too long for that setup. Looks like it would have to go on the roof.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
We travel with two short recreational kayaks. Started out carrying them over the cab of the pick-up. This was a hassle to remove when parked unless we wanted to go everywhere with them on the truck. Now they are carried mounted horizontal, lashed to a bracket I made attached to the rear ladder.
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rudi and Ellen,
Dave Anderson attached some special made brackets to the side of his Montana. Don't remember exactly but they were sort of midship and seems to me they were a bit offset from each other. I think he carries some version of a Port-A-Boat there. Perhaps he'll come along soon and be able to fill in the details. I think I'd go with the rack over the front and as far back on the truck as you needed. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

BTW I have seen them mounted on top of the trailers! See lots of them mounted on the rear of trailers.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:14 AM   #5
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
We've just decided to carry our bikes on the rear ladder of the Montana. We're considering putting a kayak on top of the Montana, but haven't done enough research yet to know how much that will increase the clearance of the rig. We're leaving for Florida on the 9th of February, and have decided to look into buying a doudle kayak there.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:28 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If you mount back toward the rear I doubt you'll be above the AC. Or if you are it won't be by much. Good luck and happy sailing!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:39 AM   #7
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
I'm watching this thread with interest since I have a 16' Winona canoe I want to mount on my roof. I'll most likely have to hang the bow off the end of the Monty to keep the overall height to a minimum. I've also been thinking of making a custom rear window that would open to allow the canoe to be carried inside. Before the Montana, I had a Yakima rack on the truck that made it pretty simple to carry.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
HamRad - That's probably what I'll end up doing...is mount the kayak toward the rear roof of the unit. That's where the unit is lowest and will give me the greatest clearance. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Rudi and Ellen,
Dave Anderson attached some special made brackets to the side of his Montana. Don't remember exactly but they were sort of midship and seems to me they were a bit offset from each other. I think he carries some version of a Port-A-Boat there. Perhaps he'll come along soon and be able to fill in the details. I think I'd go with the rack over the front and as far back on the truck as you needed. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

BTW I have seen them mounted on top of the trailers! See lots of them mounted on the rear of trailers.

HamRad
A friend of ours had a side mounting on his 5th Wheel (not a Montana) and one day going down the freeway it all broke loose and caused some damage to several vehicles. I'm not sure side mounting is the way to go. Probably on the roof, if possible.

When we were in Goshen last summer, I talked to Customer Service (Lon Nelson) about a roof rack on the Montana and he discouraged me from doing it. He said that it wasn't recommended. I'm wondering if it is even a good idea to carry anything on the roof.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
I'm also thinking that a kayak would probably fit through the door of the Motana and could be stowed inside....if all else fails.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:22 PM   #11
Paul Severson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2677
This is interesting as I have been thinking of doing the same with a double kayak. I was thinking of mounting a 1 1/4" receiver on the front of the truck and using this to support the front of the kayak with a Yakima rack over the truck for the rear. I wil be interested in your outcome.

I was worried about adding to the height of the trlr in some campgrounds.
Paul Severson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:01 AM   #12
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Sometime down the road I'll be measuring the height of the kayak and will compare it to the height of the air conditioner. If the difference is only a couple of inches more, I'll feel comfortable about mounting it on the roof.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:06 AM   #13
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Paul - I have a feeling that the length of a double kayak would stick out too far at the front of the truck.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #14
dyna_rider98
Established Member

M.O.C. #3071
I carried a 14' Gregor fishing boat over the cab of my last 2 trucks. they were both long bed x-cab. I don't think you would have a problem doing the same.
dyna_rider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #15
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Fred - ...while pulling the Montana?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:37 AM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Call me silly, but knowing how awkward it is to just get the cleaning supplies up on the roof to wash and treat it a couple times a year ... I'm trying to picture hauling one or two of kayaks 12'up on the roof and back off when needed. Mounting them on the back of the fiver seems a better thought.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:39 AM   #17
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
My thought as well. I rigged a pully system on the back of the Monty. I just lay the kayak on the ground, hook a rope to the top & hoist. A one person operation.
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #18
dyna_rider98
Established Member

M.O.C. #3071
Rudi and Ellen
Not with tha Montana but with my last 5th wheel. I have not yet set up the 03 ford with the rack. I might have a picture of my last setup that I could e-mail to you.
dyna_rider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #19
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
A picture would be great. Thanks Fred!