Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
pandew
Established Member

M.O.C. #4408
wheel covers

anybody know where you can get unique and/or good looking wheel covers (to cover the tires and keep them out of the sun) or do they just come in plain vanilla?

pandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
I've only seen "plain vanilla". However, could one use a "spare-tire" cover to dress things up a little? CW sells a variety of styles. Maybe a MOC one to go along with the bumpersticker and flag? Just some thoughts.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:47 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
For what it's worth, since our Montana is on the road year around, we don't use the wheel covers. We used to use them but then decided that since we never stay in one place very long it was somewhat useless to be putting them on and take them off. The thought occurred to me that I never cover my truck wheels so why cover the Montana wheels.

If you are going to store your Montana for any length of time, covering the wheels is recommended.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I saw some black ones, but don't think I'd go that route as they would just attract and hold more heat. This it seems to me would be detrimental. One of the big reasons for them is to keep the tires from drying out. They have natural oils in them that work to the surface when the tire is rolling on the highway. These dry out when the vehicle is sitting. If you do move around a lot, I agree they wouldn't be as necessary. I haven't used mine all summer because we've been going quite a bit. During the off season i will defenitely have them on. In vanilla.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I guess we are pretty cheap..We put boards under the camper tires to keep them off the pavement during winter storage and have never used anything other than big old garbage bages to cover the tires during the winter..they work fine and cost maybe 3 or 4 cents each....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the plain white ones and keep my tires covered all summer no matter where I am. While the coach is stored indoors for winter I do not cover them. I have found these covers do so well for me I even use them on my boat trailer.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
Why not buy the white ones and when you go to a rally or state fair find an artist who air brushes and give them a picture or design you want..
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #8
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Sun Busters
http://www.icontechltd.com/tire_covers.htm
They look and work great
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:17 AM   #9
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have to admit that I get a little perplexed whenever this subject comes up. I understnad that UV light can deteriorate the tires over time but what is different about RV tires versus truck or auto tires that no one ever covers? Is it that we generally replace truck tires before the uv light deteriorates them or is there some other logic here?
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:51 AM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we have never used them on any of our campers or motorhomes and have never had a problem. they do look nice and will help protect them if parked in one spot for a while. we park ours alot as we have had seasonal sites, but still don't use them.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:52 AM   #11
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I haven't heard anything negitive about them though.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:28 AM   #12
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Pete,
I understand all tires have chemicals in the "rubber" that is released during heat and flex of travel. This is what keeps routinely used tires from deteriorating from sunlight, such as cars and trucks. A parked RV doesn"t get the tire heat and flex, so the tire surface degrades in the sun. Sun covers and or regular 303 Aerospace Protectant can save the tire from the sun damage.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:11 PM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We use ours during winter and if we are going to stay in one spot for a week or two in summer. We had tires dry rot on a 5th wheel we had before the Monty.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:21 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pete Hanson

I have to admit that I get a little perplexed whenever this subject comes up. I understnad that UV light can deteriorate the tires over time but what is different about RV tires versus truck or auto tires that no one ever covers? Is it that we generally replace truck tires before the uv light deteriorates them or is there some other logic here?
I have often wondered about that..Why cover the camper tires and not the TV tires.I have seen folks cover the Rv tires at the campground and the Tv tires are hanging out there..does not make much sense does it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:44 AM   #15
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by genecurp

Pete,
I understand all tires have chemicals in the "rubber" that is released during heat and flex of travel. This is what keeps routinely used tires from deteriorating from sunlight, such as cars and trucks. A parked RV doesn"t get the tire heat and flex, so the tire surface degrades in the sun. Sun covers and or regular 303 Aerospace Protectant can save the tire from the sun damage.
where do you get the Aerospace protectant?--seems like that would work pretty good and you wouldn't have to store the covers
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:16 AM   #16
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I also use the white vinly wheel covers during the winter when being stored outside. Last spring when I took the trailer out for the first time and took the wheel covers off I had major white spotting on the wheels. I tried waxing and aluminum polish and can't get the spots off. Les Scwab said there isn't anything you can do and it is more important to cover your tires and do't worry about the rims. I live in Oregon and as you know it is very damp up here in the northwest. Any ideas as how to keep your aluminm wheels nice and shiny?
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:00 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I got the Aerospace from my local rv shop. If I am not mistaken I have also used it on my decals on the side of the coach. I think that is the stuff they said will help keep decals from fading and cracking from the sun. I have it in the coach, but being in the garage I cannot get to it without pulling the entire coach out to take a look. I am pretty sure that is the stuff.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:59 PM   #18
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I'm still not sure if need to cover my rv tires. I will have to ponder that question.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
As I mentioned earlier I use the wheel covers on the rv any time I am parked more than 3 days. Also use them on the boat trailer tires as that trailer sits outside from April-October while the boat is in the water. I finally decided to replace the tires on the boat trailer this past spring for my peace of mind, they were ten years old. They were not giving me any trouble I just figured it was time to change them. Guy at the tire shop asked me when I brought the empty boat trailer in why I was putting new tires on it? They had at least 65% tread life left and looked great, he could not believe that they were 10 years old and in such great shape. So in my case I have found the tire covers to work very well and would recommend them to everyone.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have two peices of plywood with a hing in the middle, so I can fold it for storage, they are cut in a way that they look like the letter B sideways, to make sure they dont get blown off I have a couple of holes in the center of the boards so when I use a bungie cord through the spokes of the wheels, they attach to the holes of the wood to keep them attached to the wheel. I have used this set up for almost 8 years now from my Terry 5er to the Monty. I have no cracks or sun rot yet. I will be constructing a new set soon because I want a mached pair for each side, maybe with a picture of two tires.

TT2