Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Wind and rain

Left home the 29th. Stopped at Kelso, Wa. for the night. The storm hit just sout of Olympia. Real heavey rain Friday to Grants Pass,OR. Saw flooding along the way. Sat. morning got total wet even with rain gear on breaking camp. I-5 had a big mud slide just south of Ashland. After a long delay got through. Nice drive to Redding. A little windy though. Sunday started out OK but the rain started again hard!!!!. Almost to destination, Carmichael, Ca. Got in a high wind area and had to slow down. All of a sudden a very strong gust hit us and things went bad. Lost the awning. Had to pull over on the freeway. Just canvas left. The roller and arms are somewhere along the road. Hope nobody got hit by the flying debris. Had to cut the remaining canvas off with a knife. Can not find any other damage. When we get to Yuma will get a new one. Checked with insurance this AM and all will be like new. I remember a posting on how to put a safety line on to prevent a untimely departure. I didn't do it. Wasn't expecting to be 60mph wind. Guess if I keep the heading indicator on S we will find sunshine.

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Doesn't sound like the nicest of travelling. Glad it was just the awning, and thank goodness for insurance. We have a strong south wind in Yuma today, my awning nearly came down, but with some timely help from the neighbours, it is secure again. Safe trip the reat of the way.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe this storm that is hitting out west is going to cause problem across the entire continent - in some form or another - rain/snow/ice. Good luck, wherever you are.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
rlwhit,

glad you are ok, isn't insurance a wonderful thing!?? your story makes my trim one sound like a peanut in a mound of potatos, or something! HA HA

enjoy the sunshine when you find it! Good luck on the rest of your ride!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Sorry to hear of the problems Dick & Toni, but glad you're alright and there doesn't appear to be other damage.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dick and Toni
Sounds like you didn't get out soon enough. Northern California is really getting hit hard. Hope the rest of your trip is better. Insurance replaced our awning on our previous 5er that bent in half during a storm (Northern California again). Find warm!
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We are also from Washington State and are glad that you are safe. We left very early this year. Having said that, we may leave alot later next year and hopefully will have good weather..hope we can meet you guys somewhere along the way....Les and Sue
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:41 AM   #8
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We were stuck in the Rogue Valley near Grants Pass this weekend during the downpour. Considering our yearly rain total is 20 inches, getting 4 inches or more in one weekend sure made things difficult. The river was very high and we could see lots of very large items floating down for several hours on Friday night. They evacuated 2 RV parks in Talent and Phoenix that are along Bear Creek not too far from the CA border where it was closed for most of the day and some of the night going south. This is the same storm that hit Sacramento area and is now hitting LA. You were very fortunate to get through here without too much delay, but not so good to hear about your awning. I am sure you are thankful for insurance.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:49 AM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Dick and Toni, sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope things get better the further south you go. See you at Quartzsite.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:00 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK, you guys out in Calif. and Wash. What are you doing??? Everytime I look at the radar you guys are letting ANOTHER storm come on shore. I just wanted you to know that we're getting those after it is done thrashing you - snowstorm for us. Can't you put up a fence or something???

How's that for being self centered?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:19 AM   #11
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Know that we all travel different circles for different reasons, but think that our wheels are to get us out of such ugly weather before it happens. We are enjoying the Baja and are currently in La Paz. Day time temps in the high 70s--low 80s, no wind. Have worn shorts, sandals and tees for the last month. Come on down, the weather is fine!

Know that there are various devices out there both homemade and commercial to secure our awnings as we travel. Your disaster has motivated us to get one when we get back to the US. Insurance is nice, but for the few bucks it cost to get an awning lock, you probable will save that in increased insurance rates because you had a loss. We are all rate payers and it is us who pay for losses, not the insurance companies.

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Glad you are OK. Wind can cause some terrible damage. A few years ago, some bad wind bled neighbor's metal shed into our front yard. Just missed our 5th wheel on side of house.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #13
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Dick and terry, Glad you got out in time. We live on the Key Peninsula, and had very high winds on the fourth, with two brownouts and sideways rains. There had been damage done in the area, though not to us (thank God).
Enjoy your time in the nice areas fo this wonderful country.
As an aside, a few years ago we were traveling with a friend of ours, and we saw this "thing" flopping down the highway. I swerved, It missed us and I remember thinking, "that's a funny way for an awning to roll", our friend had lost it, the fittings and a large part of the side of his trailer because of a limb that had blown into and through the side of the trailer.

Thank God your safe.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dick and Toni,
I am so sorry to hear of your awning problem. I hope it did not traumatize you too much!
We're looking forward to seeing you folks soon. We have a large Camping World very near us as well as a very large RV dealer. I'm sure either one could replace the awning. I'd guess they'd have some in stock. But you never know.

I did send you all the contact info didn't I? The directions etc.? Let me know if there is anything else we can do.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #15
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
HamRad, I know I put the directions on board. I can not find them. Help please. I also deleted the PM. Dumb old,old,old me!!!!!

Thanks
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dick and Toni, I'm sorry to hear about the awning but sure glad you folks are ok.

I'm curious, were you able to see or tell the sequence of the awning's departure? In other words, would something securing the arms have prevented the disaster or did it unfurl from the roll and then yank the arms open after the wind caught it? I secure the arms but have seen awnings unfurled with arms in place and know I need to do something with the roller is why I ask. Chances are it happened so quickly you were unable to see or tell how it happened but thought I'd ask anyhow. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote